What kind of air freshners can I use in my rabbit shed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most air sprays are not good for animals, especially rabbits since they are sensitive. You have to be very careful in selecting a spray or disinfectant, even if the product says it's animal safe. Most "animal safe" products were tested in certain environments and only around certain animals, so that leaves a wide range of circumstances in which the product can easily harm your pet.

Products that are made specifically for animal use (and particularly rabbits) are things like Quats and Vanodine. These solutions are highly effective in not only eliminating all forms of bacteria, viruses, and fungi, but they also leave a fresh scent behind. We've used the lemon quat in our rabbitry a couple of times a week and if you walked into the rabbit shed, by the scent alone, you'd never know rabbits inhibited the place, lol.

I dont use any air fresheners. I worry about him breathing in the toxins all day.
Also when you clean the cage I suggest using a vinegar/water solution. It works for me, especially when I clean the litter box. :biggrin:

Rather than using scented things, I prefer using "odor neutralizers". I get those little white dome things with the squishy smelly stuff inside and sit them in the rabbitry (as far from rabbits as possible). It helps to eliminate odor.

I just don't use the fruity or flowery smells because that makes things worse. Blech!

Speaking of odor neutralizers, sometimes vinegar works surprisingly well. Put some of it out in a dish and it will absorb odors. Of course it'll smell like vinegar at first, but that smell usually goes away after a little bit.

It's mixed with water and you spray/scub it on what ever surface that needs cleaning-cages, catch trays, food crocks, floor, etc. Let it sit for at least ten minutes, then rinse thoroughly and you're done.

Latest posts

Back