what is this color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The great thing about lops is that they accept most every color (I actually don't know what colors WOULDN'T be accepted, except for non-tri harlequin colors, and you won't get any of those out of this guy unless you cross him with a harlequin).

bunnychild wrote:
i dout he is a happy accident, the people were breeders with a good reputation. I believe he is a blue i will try breeding him with a chocolate doe to see as long as the color of the offspring is showable
If they really were breeders with a good reputation, they would have given you his pedigree at the state fair when you bought him, UNLESS he was intended to be sold only as a pet. But from what you said, they were refusing to give it to you and refusing to tell you anything about his parentage. Real reputable breeders wouldn't behave like that.

If you want to breed for show you should buy from breeders who will give out pedigrees. Judging by your pictures I would say your rabbit is not show quality. His head is not wide enough and his ears are a bit to long and thin. If you are set on showing you must go to ARBA show breeders and ask for any rabbits they are letting go. You might still not get a show bunny from this. It may take a few breedings until you get a show quality bunny.

he is show quality for state and county fair which is what i mainly do for now. it was my first year we didn't think to ask for the pedigree and some breeders don't use pedigrees.
Thank you hillrise that is SUPER helpful

bunnychild wrote:
he is show quality for state and county fair which is what i mainly do for now. it was my first year we didn't think to ask for the pedigree and some breeders don't use pedigrees.
Thank you hillrise that is SUPER helpful

If you're looking to get into breeding and showing at an ARBA level (and even for most state/county fair levels as well) bunnychild, I recommend that you only seek out breeders that DO use pedigrees. Any breeder worth their salt will NOT sell a purebred animal without a pedigree to back it up--unless they have made it clear to you that for one reason or another, they consider that rabbit to be of PET quality only and therefore choose not to sell him with a pedigree, and that is known up front.

Just trying to help you get started on the right foot. :)

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
bunnychild wrote:
i dout he is a happy accident, the people were breeders with a good reputation. I believe he is a blue i will try breeding him with a chocolate doe to see as long as the color of the offspring is showable
If they really were breeders with a good reputation, they would have given you his pedigree at the state fair when you bought him, UNLESS he was intended to be sold only as a pet. But from what you said, they were refusing to give it to you and refusing to tell you anything about his parentage. Real reputable breeders wouldn't behave like that.

i agree with happyfarms. i bought 2 bunnies at the county fair this summer. both breeders were recommended as good breeders by other breeders there. both breeders whipped out pedigrees without me even having to ask for them. a good breeder should be proud to hand over a pedigree, it shows they are raising quality rabbits. if they dont want to give a pedigree with it, it means they think its pet quality and dont want it to be bred.

i'm curious- how much did you pay for it? sometimes price gives an indication of quality, not always, but sometimes.

something sounded fishy here- you said they seemed hostile towards you, and that your rabbit beat theirs. i cant imagine a breeder being hostile towards a customer they want to sell to, it just doesnt sound right. refusing to answer questions about parentage seems like they had something to hide. this just doesnt sound right at all.

it is a cute little bunny though! :)

they had a girl a little youger than me she was hostale. At state fair you buy the rabbits from the office not from the breeders themselves. a family of breeders I know that have been breeding holland lops for a while wanted to breed some of their does with him, they show their rabbits at ARBA shows.

thanks I think he is cute too:D

i had some help by someone who has done holland lops for a while he thinks pippin is blue tort.

though he is pretty sure we cant know for sure so is it legal to write on the pedigree that he is a blue tort or should i leave that spot blank?

It doesn't really matter what you write on the pedigree as he is not a pedigreed rabbit. People who buy your rabbits will most likely not be buying for showing or breeding show rabbits.
So write what you want :)

It was to my understanding that it was not considered accurate or "right" to provide a pedigree for kits that come from an unpedigreed rabbit, as you have no idea what is on his side. Rabbits that do not have a three-generation pedigree cannot be proved as purebred.

Not sure if other breeders feel the same way, but this is what I was taught.

That's what I meant. It doesn't really matter as the people who buy his offspring will most likely not want them for breeding top quality show rabbits.
People who care about pedigrees and genetics will not buy a rabbit that has non-pedigreed parents.

So you can write blue tort :)

Happy Farm Bunnies:
I agree but I guess she can write him in as if she breeds him to pedigreed rabbit and keeps track of that rabbit's pedigree eventually the offspring will have a 4 generation pedigree. If that makes sense, I kind of confused myself there.
So if the blue tort is bred to a pedigreed rabbit and you fill her pedigree in and so forth with future generations, in a few years the rabbit's great great grandchildren will be fully pedigreed.
Not ideal but if a rabbit is of great quality I guess it can be done.

.....show rabbits have to be purebred. And without a three generation pedigree, you cannot prove that Pippin is a purebred. So anyone looking to actively show (at least by ARBA standards) will be wanting a full and correct pedigree for their rabbit.

They wouldn't buy them from me either! You have to be a very well established breeder with quality stock. Look at pictures of show Holland Lops that win and compare to your rabbits.

I bred for 2 years straight with purebred pedigreed rabbits that were of great quality and from reputable breeders and each and every one of the babies went to pet homes. You have to breed for many years and prove yourself before breeders will want your babies.
You can't just breed a non-pedigreed rabbit and expect to get all showable babies!

You can start an pedigree for hes babies, Its calling starting a pedigree. It doesnt matter if you dont have a pedigree from hes past. I have done this before, Started a new one from start. I am almost to my full pedigree. And people will buy babies from you. Alot of breeders have started a pedigree from scratch... Just put hes color down on the pedigree that you started!

And yes, I gotten a free rabbit that did not have no pedigree. She almost got her first leg if there was another breeder there. The judge really liked her and said she's one good rabbit! I was very lucky, And people buy from me with parcial pedigree's.

That is what I was trying to say Mistyjr, you said it better ha! I was finding it hard to explain.

Your area must be different from mine. Breeders around here don't buy unless the breeder is well established. I guess it depends where you live.

Also you are right, rabbits don't need to be pedigreed to be shown in ARBA shows, just tattoed.

Back