what is this color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just said i got him at the state fair to explain why i don't know the color of his parents. I couldn't ask the old owners at the state fair because all she did was glare at me ( I think me other rabbit beat hers )

One of the easier ways to tell blues from lilacs is eye color. Lilacs, since they're chocolate-based, usually have a ruby cast to them.

If you still can't tell, the only way to tell might be to breed him to a chocolate doe. If you get any blacks or blues, then you'll know that he's blue. Otherwise, you can be fairly certain that he's lilac. But, that's only possible if you have a chocolate doe available and have a pretty good chance of finding homes for the kits.

MiniLopHop wrote:
If you are going to breed this rabbit, shouldn't you have a petagree that tells you what is in the background?
Brandy,

I thought I'd answer your question since there is more than one answer to it.

As far as pedigrees go - most reputable breeders will breed rabbits with pedigrees and sell purebred rabbits with pedigrees. But remember - the pedigree is a history of the past and it doesn't tell you about that particular rabbit (unless the rabbit has won ARBA shows and it is listed on the pedigree).

A breeder will sometimes use an unpedigreed rabbit IF they see something outstanding in that rabbit and feel it would help their breeding program. As an example - I bred lionheads years ago. I was the first/only one who brought them to Del Rio. About a year later - I found an OUTSTANDING little chestnut doe at the feed store - I could tell she came from my lines but I couldn't tell you her pedigree. I still bought her to use anyway because in three generations - her offspring would be purebred - so I started the pedigree with her.

Mind you - she was the only one on the pedigree - I didn't fake a pedigree by listing her parents/grandparents, etc.

So to a reputable breeder - yes - a pedigree can and will matter.

But to the backyard breeder - no - a pedigree doesn't matter. What I and many others would probably call a backyard breeder is someone who just goes and buys rabbits and breeds them without trying to improve the breed or at least breeding towards the standard.

They will often just go and buy the cheapest rabbits they can find (or get them for free off craigslist, etc) so they can breed for the sake of breeding.

To them - who cares about a pedigree? (Hey - who cares about the standards of perfection for that matter??).

They simply want to breed in order to have cute babies or to sell rabbits.

So to them - who cares about a pedigree? They might "create" one so they look like a reputable breeder.

I hope this answers your question about pedigrees and needing them, etc.

TinysMom wrote:
What I and many others would probably call a backyard breeder is someone who just goes and buys rabbits and breeds them without trying to improve the breed or at least breeding towards the standard.
when you say this you don't mean me do you? I am trying to be a reputable breeder but it was my firt year and i missed the pedigree leason :embarrassed:

bunnychild wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
What I and many others would probably call a backyard breeder is someone who just goes and buys rabbits and breeds them without trying to improve the breed or at least breeding towards the standard.
when you say this you don't mean me do you? I am trying to be a reputable breeder but it was my firt year and i missed the pedigree leason :embarrassed:
When I say "backyard breeder" I am saying anybody who fits that description - who breeds just to breed - etc. etc.

If you fit what I said than perhaps you are a backyard breeder - I don't know you or your plans/goals, etc.

But Brandy asked about pedigrees and I was explaining the difference between reputable breeders and backyard breeders.

I did not plan on using any names - simply sharing examples.

You'll have to look at his eyes if you don't want to breed him. If there's a red tint to the eyes, he's a lilac tort.

If you were to breed him to a chocolate doe(aabbCCDDEE), the kits will be aa(B/b)bCCDdEe, so all Blacks or Chocolates (blacks only if he's a blue tort, chocolates only if he's lilac or carries lilac), unless the doe carries other colors (just look at her pedigree to figure out what she might carry).

Since Lilac is a derivative of Chocolate and Blue I believe is a derivative of black(dang I just read this a couple days ago) If you think it is blue breed it to a black, if you think it is Lilac breed it to a chocolate.
Are you a member of the ARBA? Their book "Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies"(The newest edition) spells it out in relatively easy to understand sections.

If he is a lilac (though I am leaning toward blue)then breeding to a chocolate could make the babies chocolate or almost any form of chocolate. At this point it really doesn't matter what color you breed him against,because you do not know his background, he could have been a "happy accident" in which case you could have any number of colors mixed to make his color.

Happy Accident in that he was not a planned rabbit is what CCWelch means. Meaning that his genetics might be a bit screwy. ;)

Show quality kits totally depends on the parents, the genetics behind the parents, and chance. There's absolutely no way to tell without doing a few test breeding with a super doe. Even with two show winning parents, not every kit in the litter will turn out to be show quality.

The nice thing about his being a tort, and knowing that he's definitely a dilute tort, is that there's actually not that many variables in colors he can throw.

So while HE might have been a "happy accident", what you'll get out of him is pretty predictable, since he's aa--C-ddee. The only question is whether he is blue or lilac, meaning B- or bb; if he's lilac, he'll always give a b.

The only big question is what does he carry for his second C gene (that series is responsible for chinchilla/ermine/frosted pearl, pointed colors and REW). USUALLY, purebreds that show C are either CC or carry for REW, but there's nothing that says they can't carry the others.

The kits he'd throw with a chocolate doe should be showable by color, if she's the same breed, but whether they're showable also depends on how well the kits themselves conform to the standard (ear length, body type, etc.), which can vary even in a litter from two grand champion parents.

i dout he is a happy accident, the people were breeders with a good reputation. I believe he is a blue i will try breeding him with a chocolate doe to see as long as the color of the offspring is showable

Back