what is the best litter to use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arwen

Reaction score
I am trying to litter train my rabbit. I am currently using carefresh which works great but is too expensive. What does everyone use for a cheap litter that has good odor control?

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Horse stall bedding

Most tractor supply's or feed stores have it.
I agree! I am currently using yesterdays news and horse stall bedding and I LOVE the stall bedding so much more!

Is that the stuff that comes in a big white bag and looks like hamster litter?

I love Yesterday's News and wood stove pellets (also horse stall bedding - they're the same thing). YN is a bit more expensive, so I've switched over to the wood stove pellets instead. They're great! You're in Michigan, so you'll probably still be able to find the wood stove pellets, but they're not commonly available in the summer so I recommend stocking up or using the horse stall bedding in summer.

I recommend putting down newspaper or a papertowel, then putting a very thin layer of the pellets over top, then some hay. The pellets expand when wet, so you really don't need much at all.

Thanks! I'll have to try it out. I have lots of TSC's in my area so it would be a lot more convenient than the 30 min drive to a pet store.

I really love Carefresh Ultra. It works great. It's really pricy so I only use it in my bunnies' litterboxes. But I'll try the pellets this summer.

I agree with using the horse stall pellets. I switched from Carefresh. Not only are the horst stall pellets much cheaper, I actually like them better. The brand I use is Stampede and it comes in a white bag.

Latest posts

Back