What is Snickers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
So in case some of you didn't read my blog I will give a little info.

I had been looking for a pet bunny and my friend here has a brother who raises alligators and alot fo the giant snakes (anaconda, burmese, retics, etc) and of course they get fed bunnies. I asked if I could go look at them and she said sure soI met her father at the barn and started checking things out.

I picked out this little baby, he was the only fawn in the bunch and he was the one that started walking towards us, I asked if I could see him and the guy picked him up by the ears and handed him to me :cry2His little heart was beating so fast and I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head but once I started talking to him quitely and petting him between his eyes and ears he relaxed and snuggled in. I knew at that second he was mine.

He lived with numerous other bunnies all running around a big dark room with no windows. Stunk to high heaven but he also breeds thousands of rats so that wouldn't help.

Hay, bread and algae filled water was all I seen for food (but hubby did say he thinks they get veggies because he is the grocery manager at Sobeys here and they save all their scraps for them). Snickers is SKINNY...you can feel all rips and his spine sticks out, although he's only been here 3 days I can notice a huge difference in his fur and he doesn't seem so skinny but it could be all in my head, I don't know if he can start gaining so quickly.

Anyways nobody had any idea what breed of bunny they were, he said they were just "rabbits", they are all the same and the parents looked like they were about 10lbs or so, they were definately a bigger rabbit.

So what are your thought? He told me he is between 6-8 weeks but he was bigger then some of the other babies so I'd guess he is 8 weeks or a little older. I do believe he isa male,I sexed him the best I could and looking at pics online but time will tell.

Anywho here is Snickers, tell me what you think

028-3.jpg

029-1.jpg

Those were taken the night I brought him home, everythign is pretty basic for right now but I just ordered him $200.00 worth of stuff online, can't wait to get it :biggrin2:

Very cute! Flemish mix or Flemish Giant I would guess. At least the ears look like that! Probably a meat rabbit mix of some sort being that he'll get to be around 10lbs or more. And the fact that they were being used for food, they wouldn't be buying the "fancy" breeds for that.

I know everything has to eat, but I'm glad you saved him. He's a cutie!

I want to put in that there may be some Palomino in there, too. With the white around the eyes, under the chin and tail, I think that it's possible. Is Snickers white on the belly, too?

Isn't his color considered fawn?
I'm learning so much, it's all so interesting!

And yup his belly is white as well ;)

And I agree, everything has to eat, I have a snake as well and I feed frozen/thawed mice but when I look at his face and think about him getting eaten it just breaks my heart :(

I know that the fawn color is a common one for Flemish Giants, not sure about other breeds. Someone on here has a FG named Carrotz that is the same color as Snickers actually. That's what I saw when I looked at him ;)It's just the ears that make me think Flemish. But he could certainly be a mix.

I know that's hard to go to those places! I got Muppet from a farmer who breeds all the FG colors and if he doesn't come up with litters that are show quality enough (like Muppet), he gives them away or uses them for meat. Although he loves the breed very much and his wife handled them all thetime likes pets.Their son is a farmer too and takes the ones meant for meat. It was very hard to leave the other two behind when my friend and I went there! We took three, which is as many as we could find homes for.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I want to put in that there may be some Palomino in there, too. With the white around the eyes, under the chin and tail, I think that it's possible. Is Snickers white on the belly, too?
The white lacing on the solid color is apparent in all agouti color varieties. Although nothing is impossible, it would be very unlikely that this rabbit is a Palomino or Palomino cross, since the breed is currently on the ARBA's rare breeds list. It's very unlikely that it would end up in the pet market.

Coloring is generally not an indication of breed. The only time it may factor in is distinguishing between something like a Mini or Holland Lop and the rabbit in question is a tort, for example. Tort is more common in Hollands, so you'd assume it's more likely a Holland than a Mini. So color can come into play but colors/markings are generally tough to narrow down to one breed since there are many colors and varieties possible in all the breeds recognized.:)

I'd agree that it may be a Flemish mix or something similar...the color and the type would be pretty close to that suggestion.

The thing with the mixes is every single rabbit there looked identical, ALL the adults were roughly the same size, all had the same ears, etc etc.

MOST of the rabbits were REW's and then there was a high # of blacks. This guy was the only fawn one there and there was 1 chinchilla color. None of the adults looked like Flemish's.

If they were mixes wouldn't some of them look a little different?

I looked at about 50 or so rabbits.

he looks like my red new zealand, i know NZ come in black, red and white he might have had a mix of standard or american chinchilla's in the room too.

There is NO WAY he doeave at least SOME flemish in him. Those ears are a dead giveaway! I saw him and flemish giant popped into my brain. His ears, color, and everything seem perfect to fit that.

Theres some Flemish in there!
but I think hes a cross breed because you said he has lots of other rabbits he obviously breeds for profit and doesn't care about his bunnies.
Have you rang the SPCA up yet?

My vote is he is a purebred Flemish Giant (fawn color) as well. ;)

They are commonly used to for meat, and the other colors you described are all flemmy colors as well.

If he is a flemmy and skinny like you said, I would feed him unlimited alfafa pellets. Flemmies (especially under a year old) need extra everything. Especially when he's been deprived of everything too! Giant breeds of any animal always need that "extra" amount. ;)But I'm sure you know alot already being such an animal lover too (I just saw your blog and my jaw dropped open at the amount of animals) :shock::biggrin2:

Again, he's adorable and have fun with him!

Latest posts

Back