What is Lulu? Checkered giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What breed is Lulu?

• Checkered giant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broken New Zealand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other broken breed

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

kdhall

Reaction score

Hello everyone! My name is Kristen and this is my lovely rabbit, Lulu! Lulu was found hopping around a parking lot and she is now happily living with her sister cat, Ella. Lulu is about 7 lbs and seems to be a very large rabbit (especially considering my previous experience with exclusively dwarf rabbits). She has an arched back, eye spots, large ears, spotting primarily in two clusters on back right and left side, and a dorsal stripe running down her spine. Is Lulu a checkered giant?!? Any help identifying her breed would help me to know what to expect and how to best care for her. Thank you!

Kristen

Hi, she does not look like a checkered giant to me, their body is longer, and just looks different. Also, not a new zealand, I would guess,imho they are stockier, more solid. She is also rather small too (my free range house bunny is a 10lbs meat mutt buck with some checkered giant and red new zealand in him, and some other stuff). With that dewlap I would guess she's grown out

That she has a broken pattern doesn't say much, my guess is that she isn't exactly of one breed, like my Herr Hase :), I have no clue about pet breeds though.

Anyway, breed doesn't matter as much as the individual character :)

Last edited:
Her broken pattern doesn't give away her breed since many breeds have that pattern. I'm no expert on breeds either but would guess she's some mix (as prietler suggested).

Fortunately, the care of rabbits does not depend upon their breed. They all get pretty much identical care. Here's a site for general info on house rabbits.

The following video posted by one of our members shows how often similar coloring (english spot, checkered giant, etc) is seen.

Back