What do you use for the bottom of your cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shubox

Reaction score
Right now I'm using interlocking foam mats for the bottom of my rabbit's cage, but I find that urine tends to slip through the cracks to the carpet below, and the material itself absorbs some of the urine as well. What is a good waterproof alternative that doesn't involve building anything? My budget it around $50

Is your rabbit litter trained? That would (should) solve the issue.

You could use a sheet of rolled lino either by itself or under the foam mats.
Be careful with some rubber mats as there are some that emit a strong odor that would not be good for bunny to breathe.

I’d recommend litter-training your bunny, that should stop urine on the carpet. While I was litter training Apollo, I used a towel under an old duvet cover.

I have foam mats under one of my cages too and I used a layer of newspaper over the problem areas for extra absorption mine are mostly litter trained now but have been known to dig and miss sometimes. I’ve had them all from babies so the newspaper got me through the training stages. I keep newspaper under my trays all the time just in case of misses it’s cheap and easy to replace. Just make sure the ink is safe although I think most are now.

Both rabbits are litter trained, but I'd still prefer something waterproof in case of accidents or water bowl spills. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll be looking in to stall mats

Back