What do you put in the litter pan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I have Runestonez litter box and I only have one bunny. I put newspaper down in the bottom (maybe 6 layers) and put a handful of wood pellets in one corner and some Yesterday's News pellets too. Peaches will only poop in one corner (next to his hay bin) and he pees mostly there too. Since it's a small corner, later thatday I'll shake his box a bit to move the pellets to a spot where there is nothing. This moves the poop pellets but the wood pellets are wet & stay there. Now my problem. On the second day I'll clean out the box completely. Usually the paper is pretty wet by then but only on about half of the box (diagonally). It's a little stinky when you get to this point too but only because I'm touching and moving the paper - otherwise it doesn't even smell at this point. And there's some hay in there as well. - I managed to minimize hay loss by putting a piece of cardboard under the hay rack so it doesn't fall into the litter.

How should I like the litter box? Since he only goes in one corner and I don't want to sprinkle pellets all over the litter box for nothing, I only use a couple of handfuls of the wood pellets - should I have a layer of pellets all over and will this be easier to clean up? should I lay down more news paper over the bottom? The litter box is a decent size maybe 13x20 but like I said pretty much only one corner is used for potty.

What do you put in your bunny's litterbox?

I useAspen shavings .

I just use wood pellets in the litter boxes. I put enough to just cover the bottom. Every other day I scoop out the wet/used stuff and shake the box to redistribute the litter. When there is not enough litter left to reuse, I empty and completely clean the box. I do have grates over the litter so the poop doesn't mix with the litter and that makes it easier to clean. I just have to dump the hay and poops, then scoop the litter. The litter lasts longer since there is no poop in it.

I use wood pellets in the litter boxes in their cages but had to change to newspaper in the one outside Chloe's cage as she kept digging at the wood pellets (completly ignoring the digging box I made for her!) sending poo and pellets EVERYWHERE!!! She was having great fun... I was not....!!! (In her defence she did try and help me sweep up after!

I use "Critter Litter". As far as I know, it's the only one at my pet shop. It works really great but can be pricey depending on how much you use.
I line the box with newspaper. I use a small cat litter-box and put enough in to cover the bottom. I put hay over at the side, to encourage using it.

I clean it thoroughly, once a week, and dirty pieces out daily and replace them with fresh litter.

Critter_Litter.322222304.jpg

I use compressed wood pellets. I don't have anything over it, so the buns sit directly on the litter and they both pee and poop there. Two of my buns are predictable in where they do it. After a day or two, I just grab some of their half eaten hay bits and sprinkle it over their poops so they don't step on it. I usually put the wood pellets where they poop and pee for less waste as well. I clean out the litter boxes every 3 days.

I use wood pellets too (just recently switched from wood stove to horse stall pellets) and fill the entire bottomof Gus's litter box.

Gus also, usually only dirties on third to half of the box between cleanings.

To clean it, I do one of two things:

I'll either scoop out the clean litter (using a sifting cat litter scoop)and set it aside, then dump the dirty litter (wet sawdust), wash out the box andput the clean litter backinto the end heuses and add somenew pelletsto the other.

Or I rotate the litter box after a couple days.

I only do the latter if I reallydon't have time to clean his litter box. Which is pretty rarely as it only takes maybe 10-15 minutes to clean it properly.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I only even have two litter boxes, but I put down newspaper((well, now I use blank printer paper because they're nesting and I don't want to hurt the babies with the ink)) and fill it with hay. One hay bale is like $8 and I use a whole bale in about two months.

I used Aspen shavings for Scone MacBunny, over a thick layer of newspaper. That worked fine - so long as the newspaper was completely covered, there was no smell as it got saturated. I'd just add a new layer of aspen each morning until the box got too full, and then empty the lot on the slope next to my garage as ground cover (not the newspaper, of course - I threw that away).

I use a 100% recylable and natural litter called Bio-catolet. It is dust free, compostible and made of residual cellulose.

I find it to be brilliant and extremely absorbant. And then it goes on the flowerbeds :D

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
I use a 100% recylable and natural litter called Bio-catolet. It is dust free, compostible and made of residual cellulose.

I find it to be brilliant and extremely absorbant. And then it goes on the flowerbeds :D

Jen
Wow, I should look more into that. :)

i use a paper-based kitten litter, and i spread it about 1cm deep across the bottom of the entire litter box, and then i keep the hay right above it to keep my bun using the box (though she still likes to pee in the opposite corner sometimes). the paper litter i find stinks less than wood litter (i hated that wet wood smell), and when it's wet it doesn't leave stains. i ruined a previous cage i had by using wood litter, the orangey stains will NOT come out, and so it looks really gross all the time even if it's perfectly clean. i used to line the box with newspapers, but the paper litter soaks up the pee enough to not need to use them i find, and the litter box is easy enough to wipe clean if a bit of moisture doesn't get absorbed.

i just bought about 15liters of paper kitten litter for about 10$usd. try looking for cat litters or something not made specifically small animals, as you can get a much better deal on it and most any litter will work just as well (or better).

my bun likes to push the litter around some, and so she will pile it up where she wants it, but when i clean i scoop out the wet parts and as much of the poo as i can and then shake the box to redistribute it. i usually can do this for a few changes before i need to add more in.

usawan wrote:
i ruined a previous cage i had by using wood litter, the orangey stains will NOT come out, and so it looks really gross all the time even if it's perfectly clean.
Have you tried using white vinegar to clean it? Just pour it in the pan and let it soak for about 10 minutes, then give it a scrub. That should help with urine stains. For really bad stains, use strait vinegar, but for general cleaning you can use a 50/50 mix with water.

Latest posts

Back