What do rabbits go crazy for?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove360

Reaction score
I have adopted 2 female rabbits, Autumn & Tinsel. They are lovely rabbits, both almost 2 years old, they love attention (as long as that attention doesn't involve picking them up) and a good brush.

They have been eating fairly well but not as much vegetables, i've been giving them carrot, spinach, parsley and some other vegetables but the only one they seem to like most is parsley.

What do your rabbits go crazy for? I've heard that kale is a hit with most rabbits but i've also been reading that it isn't great for them.

I just need some ideas of what to try with my rabbits, if your rabbits go crazy for or really like a certain vegetable let me know, i'd love to hear from other rabbit owners.

My past rabbits like a lot of vegetables that these 2 don't seem to like so i have no idea.

This is them; (i don't know their breed)

Attachments

• bandicam 2018-10-30 14-28-37-662.jpg
    bandicam 2018-10-30 14-28-37-662.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 13
Mine loves kale, romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, bell pepper, celery, etc. Your bunnies are definitely Holland lops

I don't buy vegetables for the rabbits, but mine love hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium), yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) and rose leafs and petals.
Often it takes some getting used to, rabbits normaly just test nibble new food they encounter several times, no matter how yummy.

Rabbits should be mostly on greens versus veggies ^_^ So carrot, because it's high in sugar should only be fed maybe once a week or less, only the size of a baby carrot typically. So go for things like Chicory, romaine, escarole, green leaf lettuce. Iceburg as we all know, really lacks nutrients of any kind. Kale can be a little high in oxalates, but also can make a bunny gaseous since it's part of the broccoli family.

My bunny loooves cilantro and chicory. He goes nuts for most foods but those he loves. Herbs are a great choice for rabbits as well as the greens I listed already ^_^

I thought kale was fine to feed everyday? I read somewhere that it was proven it has no affect on rabbits. Am I wrong?

I thought kale was fine to feed everyday? I read somewhere that it was proven it has no affect on rabbits. Am I wrong?
I was wrong on the oxelates, it has been proven to have low quantities (100 grams of kale contains only 20 mg of oxalic acid, 100 grams of spinach contains 970 mgs of oxalic acid <-- from the US Department of Agricultural study). However it's still not good to feed daily, it can still cause stomach distress and gas if eaten daily for a long period. A few days out of the week at a time is fine if you rotate your greens as you should. Over time though if your rabbit eats too much kale and too often, it can affect the kidney because of the calcium (which is part of the oxalates), but otherwise it's high in some good nutrients and vitamins. So, just not daily and weekly.

Everyone should be rotating their greens, it helps keep interest in the rabbit since they won't get the same thing every single day. My rabbit doesn't care, food is food to him so I'm lucky there. But for more picky rabbits, rotating the greens is super helpful and healthy too!

Mine love basil and cilantro. Basil grows like crazy in the garden -- enough that I can harvest daily for bunny feeding.

{side note to the new member bunnylove360: This thread we're on (bunny chat) is meant to be a fun thread where people 'speak' as if they are their rabbit (eg. "My human isn't happy that I attacked that snake that went from his computer to the wall.") The Nutrition & Behavior section would be a good place for this thread.:)]

I had 2 rabbits that would walk on their back legs for Cilantro. You need to avoid sugary treats like carrot and apple and only give small amounts. Likewise, be careful with high calcium veggies as adults need less than growing bunnies and definitely avoid cruciform veggies like cauliflower and broccoli as they create gas which can be very problematic with bunnies. Check the library here or hit the search function at the top for approved veggies. When we first started out I read everything I could find and also got a list from our Vet.

I have a feeling BunnyLove360 already knows what rabbits “should” eat and is curious what some of our bunnies go nuts for. I have two and they have different tastes. That said, a big hit is dandelions. I actually let some of my weeds grown just for them and have been know to grab them from friends’ yards as well. They love the flowers but will eat the whole thing. Obviously was stuff well if you do t know what my have been sprayed on it. I also have an herb garden and they will eat most things in there. Mint is another hit I wouldn’t have expected!

I started growing some carrots in a pot with a grate domed overtop so that they could eat the greens as they grow. Trying to buy enough greens is a strain on my wallet, so now I’m growing some!

They tend to like any herbs, basil parsley thyme... lemme tell you having a bunny boop your nose after eating a thing of mint is a blast of minty fresh breath!

But what they go absolutely crazy for... I was in a feed store and the owner solemnly handed me a bag of oat groats, promising me it was “bunny crack”. He wasn’t wrong. It’s absolutely only a treat that can only be fed extremely sparingly, since seeds can cause major GI problems if fed too much; I have a tiny baby spoon that is the maximum either will get in one day, and I tend to give it to them less than once a week. But they will do absolutely anything for a few grains of oat groat.

I especially like to have it on hand to test Lahi’s appetite. He’s a bit of a grazer and doesn’t have the immense food drive Delilah does. If he isn’t begging me for food at supper time, I’m mildly concerned. If I put the food down and he doesn’t dash for it, I get anxious. If I try to feed some to him and he won’t eat it, I get really worried. But the final test is offering him oat groat: if he turns that down, time for FULL FLEDGED PANIC OH MY GOD IS THE VET STILL OPEN?!

Back