WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well in the end, I pan-fried the sea bass fillets (they were quite small) just seasoned in a little bit of butter and olive oil, and then made some creamed fennel. You slice half a fennel bulb (for one person) thinly, and a clove or 2 of garlic, and cook it in a little bit of olive oil until the fennel is soft. Then add a spoonful of creme fraiche, plus about half the juice of a fresh lemon and some salt and pepper. Et voila! I had it with new potatoes :)

Didn't take a picture because I forgot!

Steve doesn't eat fish and he's feeling really poorly today so I reheated him some roasted butternut squash and carrot soup. I learnt the hard way several times that when you're sick, the thing you want most is homemade soup, but it's the last thing you want to make. So now I either have a soup making session or I make extra, and freeze it in special stand-up pouches I bought. Just tip the frozen block of soup in the pan and heat it until it's defrosted and warm! Yummy! Plus Steve said that my homemade soup makes him feel better when he's well, let alone sick :D

I finally made my shepherd's pie tonight! I know it's technically not shepherd's pie since it doesn't use lamb, I actually use ground turkey, but whatever. I always use this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shepherds-Pie-VI/Detail.aspx

But use the ground turkey plus a diced onion, make more of the sauce and add Worcestershire sauce and garlic, and add a lot more veggies. Also just make my normal mashed potatoes to go on top using milk, sour cream and salt and pepper. No cheese or onions. It's a yummy recipe and makes 8 good sized servings, enough for a while when you only have 2 people!

Shiloh, I call mine Shepherd's Pie even though there's no lamb in it too lol! I use minced/ground beef in mine....

Is ground turkey really popular over there then? It's sold in the supermarkets over here, but I don't think it's as popular as other meats. I've never used it! It's really healthy though, so maybe I should give it a try..... Except there's rarely any free-range stuff about and I won't buy anything else.

Right now not even thinking about dinner, just trying to decide what to have for lunch! I'm starving and it's 10.30am!

^ Me too, 9:18 to be exact.

I'm going to my brothers house for the weekend (not the one with the baby) so i'll probably have some 'dude-food' I like to call it. This 'dude-food' is stuff like burgers, wings, carbs pretty much.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Is ground turkey really popular over there then? It's sold in the supermarkets over here, but I don't think it's as popular as other meats.
They sell the ground turkey over here, but I've never seen anyone pick any up while we were shopping! I've thought about getting some, but I don't really like turkey, so we never buy it. I do get ground chicken, though. :)

kherrmann3 wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
Is ground turkey really popular over there then? It's sold in the supermarkets over here, but I don't think it's as popular as other meats.
They sell the ground turkey over here, but I've never seen anyone pick any up while we were shopping! I've thought about getting some, but I don't really like turkey, so we never buy it. I do get ground chicken, though. :)

My grandma uses it a lot instead of ground beef, because it's healthier. And my best friend uses it instead of beef because it's cheaper.

Kelly, I'm insanely jealous that you can get ground chicken! NO stores in my area sell ground chicken. Whole Foods is the only place I can get it ground for me, the other stores I shop at have flat out refused to grind for me. I have a recipe for some burgers made with ground chicken that I'd love to try.

Ground chicken? I have never, ever seen that over here!

There's an American cookery program that they show over here that I've been watching quite a bit, called Healthy Appetite. She uses ground turkey in a lot of things. It's on right before Barefoot Contesssa and I call her the 'Anti-Ina' because she uses half a teaspoon of olive oil to Ina's 1/2 cup! I know whose recipes I prefer lol... :p

BethM wrote:
Kelly, I'm insanely jealous that you can get ground chicken! NO stores in my area sell ground chicken. Whole Foods is the only place I can get it ground for me, the other stores I shop at have flat out refused to grind for me. I have a recipe for some burgers made with ground chicken that I'd love to try.
They have it in the "specialty" meats area at our local grocery store. It's in there next to the ground turkey and turkey bacon (and some pork loins). I was going to call it the "poultry section" but they have the pork in there, too. Weird. Only one brand makes it (Perdue), but it's been pretty good. We haven't had any troubles with it.

Actually, the one complaint that I have with the ground chicken vs. ground beef thing is that chicken sticks to the bottom of the pan pretty bad! I use a lot of oil to try and keep it off the pan (nonstick, too!) but it still manages to get stuck. I cook it on med./med. high heat and constantly stir it. You let it sit for a millisecond and BAM!, it's stuck to the bottom. I assume that is because it has less fat than ground beef and therefore, less built-in cooking oil!

Yeah, I love ground turkey. I use the super lean ground turkey breast. The only thing I don't like is it's $5.99 for 1.25 pounds of meat, and you can get ground beef for half that. It's perfect to use in recipes that call for ground beef that you fry in the pan (like tacos or sloppy joes or spaghetti sauce or other things with "loose" meat), but it's not so great for things like meatballs or burgers or meatloaf because it's too dry. If you get ground dark turkey, burgers and meatloaf and meatballs turn out just fine though.

I'm a cashier at a grocery store so of course I see what everyone buys. Ground turkey is pretty popular here! You can also buy frozen turkey meatballs (which Paul loves) and frozen turkey burgers. I bought 3 pounds of frozen turkey burgers for $8 the other day- it's not the super lean turkey, but still good and you can either grill the patties as burgers or you can use the thawed meat in place of regular ground meat in recipes because the only ingredient is ground turkey.

Anyway, I am making pizza for dinner tonight! I'm using this recipe for the crust: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Valentinos-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

It's incredibly good and really easy, Paul thinks it's better than pizza from a restaurant. Toppings will be salami (instead of pepperoni because they're practically the same thing and we like salami on sandwiches too) and brined olives. I'll make a salad too.

kherrmann3 wrote:
BethM wrote:
They have it in the "specialty" meats area at our local grocery store. It's in there next to the ground turkey and turkey bacon (and some pork loins). I was going to call it the "poultry section" but they have the pork in there, too. Weird. Only one brand makes it (Perdue), but it's been pretty good. We haven't had any troubles with it.

I try to stay out of the "specialty" meat sections where I shop. In the stores here, all types of turkey are together, all pork is together, etc. The sections marked "specialty" have tongue, tripe, stomach, and things like that. I don't even want to SEE those things, much less think about eating them. :yuck

I guess if I want the ground chicken, I will have to pony up the price of chicken at Whole Foods and have them do it for me.

They just put the tongue over by the beef section. :p In general, the chicken is all together, turkey, pork, etc., minus the ground chicken/turkey and certain pork loins. It's weird... Will almost threw up in the store the other day because they had pig's feet in the meat bunker! I was cracking up!

ETA: Can you maybe get a grinder? I know Will has a sausage grinder that mashes up meat so you can fill sausages. I bet it would make good ground chicken. Also, ground chicken is $2.99 for a package (I don't remember the weight).

Or would a food processor work for grinding/mincing stuff? I would think you could use one of the attachments for it.

I would DIE for a Magimix food processor! I just made coleslaw for dinner and I was thinking how I could have shredded the cabbage and grated the carrot in about 30 seconds as opposed to aching my wrists doing it all by hand!

This: I think I would give my right arm for! (After all I wouldn't need it to grate and chop anymore :p)

http://www.johnlewis.com/230476253/Product.aspx

For dinner I made coleslaw and I had a griddled lamb steak. Steve got it ready-marinated, which I wouldn't normally do but I feel so crappy today it was easier than doing my own :)

Kelly, you never did post that honey pork chop recipe! I'd like to try it!

I had Supermacs today, just had a curry chip with cheese and coke. :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
OK! :biggrin2:

It's a super-easy marinade, and it sounds really simple compared to some of the stuff you eat, but here it is (all three ingredients of fury!).

- 1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce (we use the "French's" brand, you probably don't have it there...
- 4 teaspoons of honey (I like clover honey)
- Black pepper, to taste.

I just whisk that up and marinate pork chops in it (around 6 hours). I tend to make the marinade in the morning and add the chops around noon. They're popular at my apartment, but I don't know if that's just because Will is a picky eater. ;)

mouse_chalk wrote:
Or would a food processor work for grinding/mincing stuff? I would think you could use one of the attachments for it.

I would DIE for a Magimix food processor! I just made coleslaw for dinner and I was thinking how I could have shredded the cabbage and grated the carrot in about 30 seconds as opposed to aching my wrists doing it all by hand!

This: I think I would give my right arm for! (After all I wouldn't need it to grate and chop anymore :p)

http://www.johnlewis.com/230476253/Product.aspx

For dinner I made coleslaw and I had a griddled lamb steak. Steve got it ready-marinated, which I wouldn't normally do but I feel so crappy today it was easier than doing my own :)

Food processors are really awesome, but........cleaning them stinks! I have one and most of the time I elect to chop manually. It takes less time.

Latest posts

Back