What color is this Rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ALL reds are black-based!! There is no such thing as a chocolate-based red!! Even Pam Brickner admits she opened up a can of worms with that phrase. All you have are cleaner reds. A very clean red is one where all the black tipping is "pushed off" the hair shaft so there is no smut. The blue undercolor is also totally gone so the undercolor is red or cream. How bright the animal is depends on the amount of rufus factor (intermediate red band in the castor). That is why a red is a WIDE-BAND AGOUTI and you can get a clean red out of castors. I have chocolates and I would never breed them into my reds. That leads to bad castors and ambers - not clean reds. I keep some of my smutty reds or reds with very pale blue undercolor since they can have gorgeous fur and/or very nice type. However, then I cull hard for color as well as the characteristic I want. I have about ten broken reds right now but I am in the process of rebuilding since I lost my broken red herd buck 18 months ago and needed to breed another one.

Anyway, sorry to get on the soapbox. You would not believe the number of people who want to breed a chocolate into the reds to get "chocolate-based". Right now I know I have some red bucks I would like to sell. I will be showing at the Greensboro, NC show on 3/19. Is anyone coming from the south who could transport something back for you? If so, I would be glad to send pictures of any reds I have for sale. I hope I can help. I LOVE the reds and like to see more of them being raised and shown."

I don't know how long you've been raising rabbits or who you got your reds from, but the chocolate bit makes no sense. We will agree to disagree but I love learning new things about this color and getting a wide variety of opinions

I have been raisingmini-rex for many years. If you would like my credentials I bred the first place red senior buck at the '08 convention. I sold him to a person doing reds and he entered him at the convention. I have also had several BOB reds when I raised them. I have bred my reds to chocolate agouti and to chocolate in the past and guess what? There were chocolates, castors, chocolate agoutis and reds in the litters. The only way for that to happen is if the reds were carrying chocolate. The person I got my original reds from have had many BOV national show winners and have been breeding them for many years. The put chocolate in their reds to clean them up.

Latest posts

Back