What color is this Rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buns2luv

Reaction score
What color would a red rex bunny with a blueish color on his ears, nose and I believe each leg be called?
Does this color have a name?

I tried uploading pics, but they are too big. I am looking for a similar pic of his coloring on the web and will post one if I find one.
Thanks!

[align=center]I'm not a breeder... but maybe a red sable?
I googled it and can't find any pictures but with what a sable is colored like, and how a red rex bunny is... maybe that's it.

Or maybe it's a cinnamon?

I wish you luck on your color quest ^_^ And I hope you can upload pics soon!

Does it look like any of these?

Tort
Anasth.JPG

Sable Point
4038715179_4dfe6a329f.jpg

Are those the same rabbit? The upper picture looks more red, the bottom picture looks more like a castor to me.

Slavetoabunny's Sparky and Scooter are red and castor, respectively:

Sparky (red):
sparky0788.jpg

Scooter (castor):
scooter0801.jpg

Black based red, probably popped up out of castors. I get them from my castors.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
Black based red, probably popped up out of castors. I get them from my castors.

We raise reds and nobody has been able to explain to me how you get a red out of castors....

Both castor parents carry the non-extension gene. One in ten of my kits born from castors are reds. They are not showable because they usually have undercolor around their tails and some smut. I hesitate to breed them back into my castor line because I am afraid of losing belly undercolor because it is a serious fault for castors.

I used to raise chocolate based reds a few years ago but sold them because nobody in my area showed them and it was tough to get legs. I have been contemplating starting up again by breedinga coupleof my red does out of castor to my chocolate buck and then breeding the offspring together. The chocolate doesn't clean up the smut, you just can't see it anymore.

I was told there really was no chocolate vs. black based reds just darker variation and different levels of rufus. Focusing on cleanliness of color. I keep forgetting to ask Mrs. Pam about it since she did start it apparently. I have "black" based doe and she's not smutty(yet) and no blue undercolor. She placed pretty high and got good comments at a her fist show.

buns2Luv. I really think because of the shading it's a mix between a shaded and a red.

There is definately black and chocolate based reds. The breeder that I got my original reds from bred chocolate into their lines to clean them up and they have won many BOVs at national shows. I am not saying that black based reds are all smutty or have undercolor. With proper breeding you can clean them up. Adding chocolate just hides the smut, it's harder to see.

Latest posts

Back