What color is she?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elrohwen

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out my new bun's coloring, but I'm just not good with the agouti colors, so I thought I'd ask the experts.She's clearly broken agouti-something, but I can't decide what. Her undercoat is grey with a bit of beige in it, then there's a white stripe, then a black tip.I was thinkingchinchilla, but all of the chins I see are more of a grey while she has a beigey brown tint. Could she be opal? I really can't figure it out.

Her eyes are brown. I could get some better pictures if these aren't clear enough.

Thanks for the help!

10613_071831_240000000.jpg

10613_071831_240000001.jpg

She's too light to be a black shin. I wanna take a stab and say broken smoke pearl chinchilla or even broken lilac chinchilla, but I could most definitely be wrong. I'm still working on my color ID skills.

DEF. one of the Chins though. She has BEAUTIFUL color.

But I thought lilac was a solid color and not a form of agouti? She definitely has the agouti banding on the hairs.

eta: Erin, I see that you mentioned lilac chinchilla. Never knew such a thing existed! I thought there was only one form of chinchilla, but that opens up all sorts of possible colors. I wish it were easier to search down color pictures on Google.

The rabbit in question itn't a self, guys. IE Black, Blue, Choc, or Lilac. Definitely agouti, indicated by the ear lacing. Hard to see eye circles because she is a broken, but I'm next to certain they are there. ;)

I did a quick search for lynx and it looks much too brown. I also did a search for smoke pearl chin and didn't find much except one blurry picture, but it did look kind of like her!

Myia09 wrote:
Its called Lynx for it to be a lilac agouti

:)

Not neccesarily. I doubt you have an SOP based on the fact that you're more of a pet owner, correct? Lilac chinchilla and lynx are two different colors.

Chinchilla comes in various colors. Black, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, Sable, and Smoke pearl. As an added note, I'm looking at the ML standard as I type and Lynx is also an accepted variety.

And the rabbit is most definitely not lynx LOL

Erins Rabbits wrote:
She's too light to be a black shin. I wanna take a stab and say broken smoke pearl chinchilla or even broken lilac chinchilla, but I could most definitely be wrong. I'm still working on my color ID skills.

DEF. one of the Chins though. She has BEAUTIFUL color.
Smoke Pearl would be a very close match IMO.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
Myia09 wrote:
Its called Lynx for it to be a lilac agouti

:)

Not neccesarily. I doubt you have an SOP based on the fact that you're more of a pet owner, correct? Lilac chinchilla and lynx are two different colors.

Chinchilla comes in various colors. Black, Blue, Chocolate, Lilac, Sable, and Smoke pearl. As an added note, I'm looking at the ML standard as I type and Lynx is also an accepted variety.

And the rabbit is most definitely not lynx LOL

I am a pet owner, but I am getting into showing (My show rabbit develoopd nasty behvior and has to be nueterd) and I am a ARBA member, who is trying to learn standard of perfection and has read, re-read, and still researching.

I really don't see what htat has to do with anything however, a pet owner doesn't have to be clueless of SOP.

I have always been told Lynx is equal to a lilac aguoti coloring, ...Mabye my soure of information is just wrong.

I didn't say the rabbit was a lynx..I was answering that a lilac augoti is referred to as a lynx.

Edit: Holland lop website who also referes to a lynx as a lilac augoti:

http://www.mysticalmistminiatures.com/genetics.html

Myia09 wrote:
I am a pet owner, but I am getting into showing (My show rabbit develoopd nasty behvior and has to be nueterd) and I am a ARBA member, who is trying to learn standard of perfection and has read, re-read, and still researching.

I really don't see what htat has to do with anything however, a pet owner doesn't have to be clueless of SOP.

I have always been told Lynx is equal to a lilac aguoti coloring, ...Mabye my soure of information is just wrong.

I didn't say the rabbit was a lynx..I was answering that a lilac augoti is referred to as a lynx.
No, I understand, I was just pointing it out. ;)Lynx is more based off of the chestnut color. Just like Opal is a Blue based Chestnut. The chinchilla color is different and comes in other shades as well. Like I said, Black (the norm) blue, lilac, choc, Sable, and smoke pearl. But yeah, you were right in the fact that lynx is lilac agouti

I didn't mean to offend, and I hope I didn't. Just, most pet owners don't look into SOP because it's essentially pointless for them to have one LOL

And I was only clarifying that I didn't mean lynx, but lilac chin.

Oh, I didn't :)
Sorry if I came off that way! I am just really interested in standards and showing (My first show as suppossed to be next weekend) so I know maybe most pet owners dont, but I try! lol.

Yes, it was also my understanding Opal is "Blue aguoti" bu I understand what you mean by being based of cheastnut. Lynx have the fawn coloring most definatly.

Yeah, I know you mean the rabbit is maybe a lilac chinchilla (which I would agree) or even a smoke pearl chinchilla (Only because I recently saw a smoked pearl holland with very simliar coloring as hers)

la~la~landis correct that she is broken chin "something" due to the pearl intermediate band.

From the photo, she appears to be a broken sable chin due to the darker shading on the face. Sable chin would have a brown eye with a ruby glow.

She appears too dark around the ear to be a lilac chin or lilac sable chin(which would have a blue-gray eye with a ruby glow). Smoke pearl chin would also have a blue-gray eye. (I can't tell from the photo).

Pam, thanks for weighing in! Her eyes are definitely brown. They may have a ruby cast as they do look slightly different from my other bun's brown eyes (he's a broken black, so has "normal" brown eyes). So it seems sable chin is the top pick.

Latest posts

Back