What breed is my Stew?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelvinR

Reaction score
I got my first rabbit, Stew, today and I absolutely love him! He is 6 weeks old and the cutest animal I have ever owned! However, I don't know what breed he is. He is gray with a few white areas and white feet. Thanks!

photo-5.JPG

photo-6.JPG

photo-7.JPG

based solely on the tuft of fur between the ears... possibly a lionhead.

Where did you get him? Pet store? Breeder?

Could possibly just be a generic mutt.

No pictures of the parents. He was running around earlier and would sometimes hop up into the air! It was so funny

Well the original plan was too keep him with the chickens. But now I'm thinking that I could make a separate area in the coop and run for him. The other problem is that this summer it has gotten over 100 degrees regularly. I don't want him to die from heat. My backup plan is to keep him inside during the summer and outside during the rest of the year.

Well we have figured out a solution. Stew sleeps in his Rubbermaid at night, then comes downstairs in the morning along with his litterbox, food, water, and hay and runs around downstairs all day. He loves it and there are no bunny dangers anywhere.

It's good that he gets to run around all day, but that box isn't a very good idea as a permanent cage. He will eventually be able to jump out of it anyway. He is adorable, but please think about the cage situation, and also please pick him up properly.

I agree with Kizza you definitely need to get him a proper cage and also not pick rabbits up from their back. When lifting your rabbit you should use two hands, one supporting the chest and one supporting the bottom. If your rabbit is small enough you can position the hand supporting the chest with you thumb over their shoulder for a firmer grip. Hold the rabbit with its head slightly higher than its bottom and with the bottom slightly tucked in. This will help prevent the rabbit kicking out backwards or trying to do a forward summersault.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I agree with others He is a lionhead or lionhead mix
His color is called blue vienna marked
(the gray color is called blue and the white paws and blaze make him a vienna marked. This means he has a blue eyed white rabbit in his background somewhere

And btw, it is NOT too hot outside for a rabbit. I keep my buns outdoors year round and they love it, it's their natural home. You just have to know how to properly care for them when they live outdoors. It's a bit of work that's why almost everyone keeps their rabbits indoors as it is easier, doesn't mean its better. If you want any advice on how to keep your rabbit outside or how to keep them cool and warm let me know! I would love love love to help :)

And btw, it is NOT too hot outside for a rabbit. I keep my buns outdoors year round and they love it, it's their natural home. You just have to know how to properly care for them when they live outdoors. It's a bit of work that's why almost everyone keeps their rabbits indoors as it is easier, doesn't mean its better. If you want any advice on how to keep your rabbit outside or how to keep them cool and warm let me know! I would love love love to help :)

I have to disagree with the fact that keeping a rabbit indoors is not better. It is definitely better to keep a rabbit indoors because you can catch their illnesses faster than if they were outside. Depending on where you live, it can get too hot for a rabbit to live outside. Plus living outside exposes the rabbit to environmental changes that can be harsh on them, like smoke. So it is definitely better to keep a rabbit indoors than outdoors. There are many benefits to keeping a rabbit indoors.

I agree with Kizza you definitely need to get him a proper cage and also not pick rabbits up from their back. When lifting your rabbit you should use two hands, one supporting the chest and one supporting the bottom. If your rabbit is small enough you can position the hand supporting the chest with you thumb over their shoulder for a firmer grip. Hold the rabbit with its head slightly higher than its bottom and with the bottom slightly tucked in. This will help prevent the rabbit kicking out backwards or trying to do a forward summersault.

This is not picking up the rabbit by the back. This is picking up the rabbit at the end of the back, you are supporting the hips/pelvis area. I do this with my young rabbits as it is easier to transport them from spot-to-spot. However as the rabbit grows older you just want to take some precautions and make sure your rabbit it not to heavy to pick it up one-handed. Picking up a rabbit this way does not hurt them. However as an inexperienced owner I recommend learning different ways of handling, to see which way suits your rabbit the best. I do not recommend this way of picking up to a rabbit older than 6 months as thats when their mass starts coming in and that is about the time they will start needing more support. At this stage it should not hurt the rabbit as long as you are not holding the rabbit in that position for an extended period of time.

This is a lionhead. He looks young which would explain why his mane only looks like a "tuff" As he grows older he will grow out a longer mane around his head and around his body.Once his adult coat comes in the fur on his back will then be the desired normal fur. Some lionheads just seem fuzzy on their back when they are young, its just a trait they have to grow out of.

Here is an example of what I am talking about

This is Eevee when she was a young lionhead. Note how she has more of a wooly back and how her mane is still very short and not very defined.
208849_165286176962043_1367668635_n.png

This is Eevee at an older age, look at how much her mane came in and how the fur on her back is much shorter than the mane.

384676_189061804584480_1800972239_n.jpg

I would definitely say that this rabbit is a lionhead, seems like a blue vm. ( I think)

I would try getting your rabbit out in a cage as soon as possible, my 9 week old holland lop can already jump 3 feet (he is a very determined rabbit)
Never put a rabbit with a chicken the risk of coccidiosis sky-rockets. Chickens natrually have coccidiosis in their intestines so it could easily be transferred to your rabbit through the feces of the chickens. Bad idea, I do not recommend that. If that is your only coop trying separating an area(A small corner if possible) just for your rabbit, make sure your chickens can't get in and the small coop is very clean an disinfected. Also another thing chickens will do if put together with a rabbit is they will go after the rabbit. I had a 4Her would put a rabbit and a chicken in a coop together and the next day we got a call that the chicken pecked the rabbits nose off.

Hope I've helped, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask:)

The black rabbit in my avatar is Sweetie and she is a lion head mix. She is tiny, but the pic will help you determine if your rabbit is a lion head.

Here is a couple pics of Sweetie:

1378694857034.jpg

1378694887769.jpg

Now he just runs around the house all day and night. He loves it. And the only reason I picked him up like that was because I had to take the pictures with my other hand. When I pick him up, I use two hands and hold him like a baby. He holds on just like a baby and just closes his eyes and falls asleep. And he learned how to jump up on the couch.

Latest posts

Back