What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol thanks :D

I have to say, when I saw those first pics of Ruvy I was shocked (in a good way). It's not often that you see such a fiery-red bunny with fur that looks like silk.

Jen

Jen- Really? How come? I'm sorry if this seems like an obvious question but I'm clearly new to the bunny world. :embarrassed:

Well, I am no expert on breeding, but I do love to browse pet stores, breeders online, all the buns on RO, and the only bright-red rabbits I have seen is yours, Butterfinger's Moonflame, and the baby Thriantas in the Rabbitry.

I think that's why I find them so stunning- because I so rarely see them.

Ruby and Millie were red Rex's I think, and they were beautiful too.

I'm sure a load of people will come on here and say how common bright red rabbits are :p

But it's not purely to do with that- it's also the texture of Ruvy- she looks like silk. She looks as though if you touched her you would barely be able to feel her fur- I've personally never seen a rabbit with fur like baby Ruvy's (but then again, I reiterate, I am no expert with breeds, as anyone here on RO will verify :p ).

The combination of her stunning silk-like fur, and her fiery-red colour is enough to wow me!

Jen :)

Hmm....maybe I would have been a little better to say 'In the UK', because after some research I see that the New Zealand, and the Mini Satin both often come in a startling fiery red.

I have to say, especially in the UK, I think you'd really have a hard time finding a rabbit of such a strong red. Perhaps orangey. But definately not the red of a Mini Satin or a New Zealand and most definately not a Thrianta. I can't find any Thrianta breeders in the UK at all.

Jen

Oh, ok. It would make her seem more of a novelty to rabbit lovers of the "bright, firey reds" from over seas if they aren't even available to you over there. :( I think it was Pam that said they were supposed to be quite common over here or something?! I'm really not sure though... :dunno

Is that color even in demand in the UK? If it were then you could almost make out like a bandit if you got your hands on a breeding pair and no one else had any. ;) LOL

I too love the bright red of her coat. I was disappointed for awhile there too because her fur almost looked like it was going to be a dull orange. She went through a phase where her fur color went very pale and light(almost beige/cream) instead of the color she was when we bought her. It didn't last long thouh because shortly after that is when I noticed the firey red color coming in under neath her coat dulled-out one(which is now the color of her fur again- I think it's even brighter/sharper a red then it was when she was a baby). Not sure what that whole process was all about though. I'm guessing the shedding of her baby coat? maybe?

The shiny look somewhat dulled down too during that time but the texture of her fur has always stayed the same. You say it looks "silky" and I must say it IS silky! It almost reminds me of my daughter's hair when she was a newborn baby. That super, fine, soft texture. Once anyone starts petting her it's VERY hard for them to just sit her back down even if they aren't big "animal people". :p

Well I have never seen a red rabbit in real life, and only the few I mentioned on here, so they are so gorgeous to me.

Out of interest, I have just had a look online for any Mini Satin breeders/New Zealand breeders or Thrianta breeders.

I cannot find a single Thrianta or Mini Satin breeder, and can find a few New Zealand, but no red kits at all.

Perhaps it's because there isn't such a huge market in the UK for rabbit showing etc.? Or maybe I have just totaly made that up lol?

Jen

Quick Update:

My last post was about 5 weeks ago, and since then Ruvy has grown A LOT so I decided to reweigh her and she has gone from being a little under 3 lbs to being 6 lbs on the dot.
Is that normal? It seems quite a drastic weight gain for such a small animal in such a fairly short period of time. Especially where she is a free-range buns so she gets tons of exercise running through our apartment like a mad-woman. LOL :p
I'll try and get a new picture up soon for those that would like to see her. :biggrin2:

Thanks Ladies.

Here is a few new pictures of Ruvy. Hope you enjoy :).

100_9705.jpg

^^^^She was SOUND asleep and enjoying her nap too. :p^^^^

100_9689.jpg

^^^Ruvy outside enjoying some yummy grass^^^

100_9694.jpg

^^^ Tanning in the sun- she wasn't to impressed with the kids(not in the pic) being loud LOL

Back