What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mae9406

Reaction score
I recently purchased a baby rabbit from a local Tractor Supply, and they had no idea how old they were/are or what breed they were/are. So now I am trying to figure out what she is...

NOTE: This is my first rabbit.

I thoughtI had figured it out, but after seening some pictures of other rabbits on this site and what breed they are I'm not so sure anymore. I was thinking Rex? But now I see that that most likely isn't right and she could/might be a Red Lionhead?

I'd love to hear what others think!

Thanks, Melissa

100_9314.jpg
" alt="">

100_9309.jpg
" alt="">

I have never heard of a Satin- now I am trying to look up some information on them. Do they have thick, very soft fur? Or is that a baby rabbit trait?

Baby rabbits do have softer coats. The satin fur is finer in diameter than normal fur.

The Mini Satin is a small rabbit with a satin coat. Red is a popular variety.

How do you tell if she's a mini or a regular satin? And could she be mixed? Looking at pictures of satins makes it look like there fur isn't very long. She's half the size of my full grown guinea pigs and has fur that's very close to or almost an inch thick. :ponder: But it is very soft and shiny...

i don't know what she is but she is sure cute...

i purchase 3 bunnies at a farm store couple months ago. and had my pictures up and ppl thought they were mix Mini Rex.. but i found out they are purebred Mini Rex.. They coats weren't as soft as they are now.

You'll be able to tell more when the bunny gets older and sheds its baby coat. (It was way to young to be sold - but Ohio doesn't have any laws regulating sale age.)

Pamnock- How old do you think she is? You seem to know alot about rabbits. I was thinking she looks super young too- she was MUCH smaller then most of the other rabbit babies there, but honestly not by much. :S

mae9406 wrote:
Pamnock- How old do you think she is? You seem to know alot about rabbits. I was thinking she looks super young too- she was MUCH smaller then most of the other rabbit babies there, but honestly not by much. :S
She really doesn't look more than 3-4 weeks of age. However, since you indicated that she was the runt of the litter, she may appear younger than she is.

I honestly don't know if she's a "runt". The litter looked like it was mixed with different breeds. There only seem to be about 2-3 rabbits that looked identical to her, the others varied from coloring to facial and body structure being completely different. The lady at the store said a guy just brought them in. They could have also come from a "dead or alive- rabbits your way" farm not too far away from the store. :ponder::bigtears:

Oh, I forgot to add that the other rabbits that looked the closest to her were about the same size, none of them were bigger then a "handful" though.(She can honestly fit in one hand with her little neck stretched out to sleep no problem.)

Poor baby looks a little young :(
The other bunnies might have just been put in there with her, and not actually be from the same litter. Make sure to just give her hay and alfalfa pellets. She should probably be still on her Mother's milk, and it could be very easy to upset her system, which could be fatal.

Don't give her veggies for another few months at least ;)

Thanks everyone!

Should she still be on mommy's milk? I was debating the thought before when Pam suggested she might only be 3-4 weeks old but she seems to be eating lots of hay, drinks(but only from a dish), and as far as I can tell hardly ever, if ever, eats the pellets.

I CAN see she IS growing though :). She's slightly larger then she was just a week ago. Of course it's not drastic or anything but it is there. Bunny is also not sleeping as much now as she was so I think those are both good signs for a thriving rabbit, right? :D

They start to nibble of food around two weeks old, and most of the time still stay on their Mother's milk till approx. 6 weeks. Like a human baby, they will eat solids but still need milk :)

Hopefully she will be fine, if you notice anyway runny poops or a funny gooey substance around her bum, take her straight to a vet.

Once a kit has been weaned from their mother's milk, it would be more stressful to put them back on that diet than to just continue the diet they've been on.

I'd suggest offering lots of fresh grass hay along with a regular rabbit pellet. You can also supplement her diet with rolled oats (regular, uncooked Quaker oats).

As long as she is eating on her own and seems to be digesting it ok (poops are normal), she should be perfectly fine. As Pam stated, she looks a bit young to be away from her mother. But if you've had her for about a week with no issues yet, you've been doing things right. :)

Latest posts

Back