what brand pellets to u feed ur buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mistyjr wrote:
I feed all my rabbits, 17% Protein Rabbit Chow, pinch of Old Fashion Rolled Oats, Hay every other day, 1 teaspoon Rabbit Supplement. And 1-2 steam's of Parsley once a week.
I forgot something..

I feed them 1/2 cup each but my dutch gets 1/4 cup because they were getting over weight getting feed more then 1/2 cup.

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:
I feed all my rabbits Purina complete (green bag), though I may try out the purina show, but right now all are thriving on the green bag. I feed 1/2 cup to all the adults (which is split into two for a morning and evening meal since they all eat so quickly). Juniors are fed the same at the moment, since all are close to becoming Sr.'s. My does with litters are fed unlimited since the babies love to steal before momma gets any ^_^

Hay wise, all of ours get unlimited timothy hay, Ox Bow is the brand, though I'm looking into get hay from bunny bales, as it would be cheaper. We were going through a farmer, but he had only alfalfa and no one around here has any timothy at this time.

Veggie wise, I've been quite bad about giving any lately, They all get Leaf lettuce, but I haven't broken out of my routine of leaf lettuce in order to try other veggies with them lol Will have to work on that.

So that breaks down to: Two meals daily of: 1/4 cup pellets, unlimited timothy hay, and leaf lettuce. :) Hope that helps
Purina show and fiber 3 are really good. I like that they removed the corn from the bag. What i don't like is that they went and added it to the green bag. Now its more expensive then fiber3 and show. :(

Do you think you could finda local farmer that grows orchard grass, or a mixture of grassy alfalfa? Just trying to help you out there. :p Right now mine are getting alfalfa bought from a farmer down the road from my sis. They were on some type of grass hay mix from the local farm store, that they purchase from local farmers. for some reason they didn't like it, and it was good hay. But the orchard grass,and alfalfa they dig right into.

Edit: Hey try using craigs list to find farmers selling hay on. Thats where I got some of mine from last year. If you haven't already. :)
Eh, I'm still looking around. We would go through the farmer we were getting hay from before, but it's was alfalfa and wasquite rich which is great for the youngsters but not so much for the adults :p There's a few more places for us to look, along with craigs list, all I know is store bought hay is just too pricey for us to keep using lol (We're going through 40 ounce bags every two days which are 10 bucks a piece) LOL

Pipp,

Thanks for the comment about the colored food... I am still getting to know the choices here and I have walked right past those without actually even looking at it. You bring up a good point so the next time I go, I will check on what the contents actually are.

I'm feeding 'Selective' right now (aniseed and fenugreek flavor) but I may have to change it due to not finding it in bulk. It really gets expensive but now I am considering maybe mixing it.

We may have had this thread often, but I think there are some interesting points coming up. Plus, if anyone doesn't want to answer they can just ignore it right? :)

Thanks for the ideas!

i feed my younguns purina green bag unmixed,,,,i do already mix the oxbow and my purina green bag for the adults ..just to make it ration longer and not just feed too much alfalfa based pellets to my adults...but geez i never thought about the vitamin and mineral reasoning for mixing them up...this is quite interesting....

and heck ya Nela they can cruise on by...:)

Flash Gordon wrote:
i feed my younguns purina green bag unmixed,,,,i do already mix the oxbow and my purina green bag for the adults ..just to make it ration longer and not just feed too much alfalfa based pellets to my adults...but geez i never thought about the vitamin and mineral reasoning for mixing them up...this is quite interesting....
If its working for you, then there is no reason to change it.

its working but oxbow is so expensive ....i just wanted to get one kind of bulk pellet and be done with it..i guess its not that easy is it.?

Lisa...I feed my adults Purina Fibre3 and they are doing very well on it :). My feed store sells it in 50lbs bags for $17 or 7lbs bags for $7.

Pipp wrote:
Its a good idea to mix up pellets just like it's good to provide a variety of vegetation.
I used to think that about pellets until I went to the State Convention and started talking with breeders about it. They changed my mind - I've switched to only one brand (per type of rabbit- the flemish get different from the hollands, etc) - and it has made a major change in their condition.

I no longer recommend mixing pellets to the people I talk to.

dixonsrabbitry.....14 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!???? WT???? ..darnit im getting screwed!!.i feel so violated now..hehe..i am def gonna ask them about the fibre 3 Amy ....i cant believe its cheaper..

alright so i got my feed store to order in purina fibre3 pellets for me ..ive already bought 2 bags thru them for 16.00 a piece...they just left a message for me on my phone that said my next bag is in..but there is a raise in the price now...im thinkin 2-3 bucks max right..nope..they told me 32.00 for a 50lb bag now...im beyond irritated...thats double what i paid last month...im not sure whos trying to screw who here ...but id like to know if anybody else that buys this product if they have had a price increase ..then id assume its increased by Purina themselves...but if not then my good ol local Stock shop is trying to take advantage of me...im gonna go visit them this week and hear what they have to say..id be embarrassed to double a price on somebody...

This thread is interesting!

I'm currently feeding crappy WalMart stuff, I'm STILL waiting for my Oxbow to come in...WalMart is the only pellet I can get here because our local pet store only sells a bulk food for rabbits and it's all seeds :(

I've seen that Martin was mentioned, is this a good food? I know a few people that use it and swear by it but wasn't sure, all I know is everyone raves about Oxbow so that's the one I ordered...I can get Martin's easier though since the store I ordered it from actually carries Martins and has to special order the Oxbow, this store is still 5 hrs away but I'm originally from there so we head down a few times a year or my Dad, Mom or brother head up this way so everytime someone comes to visit us or we go to visit them I will be stocking up on rabbit food, LOL

I read through most of these posts but I'm not sure if this was mentionned. I now feed mine Oxbow Basic T - I got the 10 lb bag from Montrealcritters.com - I got 3 bags on my last order - they shipped next day to me here in Canada - they charged me flat rate shipping $9.99 for the whole order.

I think it was $19 for the 10lb bag (which I don't see listed anymore)

I feed Nature wise from Nutrena..... it's 18%? I can't remember. Anyways a 50 pound bag costs me like 10 dollars and last me 2 weeks with 9 rabbits. Its the only feed the feed store carries, and I don't have a problem with any of my rabbits.

Latest posts

Back