what brand pellets to u feed ur buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash Gordon wrote:
no dixonsrabbitry ..she meant that to me..,but thanks for being so kewl.
thank u so much to the people who answered without mentioning how many times this has been asked on this forum..i do appreciate ur time.i really do:)..
i see alot of really dumb threads on this forum ,i mean dumb questions about how to care for a bunny some of them are so silly i cant believe people would even have the courage to type it.....i had a legitimate question and now ur making me feel like i shouldnt ask any questions...this place is not friendly.
After being on this forum for several years - I disagree with your assessment. This forum is VERY friendly and we try to go out of our way to be friendly to everyone - even to those people who have questions that some might perceive as "dumb". The thing is - there are never dumb questions on this forum - part of the whole focus on this forum is to answer questions because we try very hard to be educational.

However, to post a thread on this forum on a weekend - when few people are around - and then turn around a few hours later and treat this as if people are trying to keep some big secret from you did come across as snippy to many people.

Then to take this attitude with the members - how you can not believe people would ask some questions - after acting the way you did - is just not the way we try to encourage people to act on the forum.

People are always free to ask questions of ANY kind - that doesn't matter. We do expect them however, to be willing to WAIT for answers if it is not an urgent question - particularly if it is on a weekend when folks may not be around.

Here are some of the threads on this topic that you may want to read while waiting to hear from other members.

Pellets & Hay

Feeding Question

Pellet Brands

Timothy or Alfalfa?

What brand of pellets do you use?

Rabbit Feed: Best Brand

and last but not least - from our library...

Pellets

Just for the record - I use Purina Pro for my flemish giants, Purina Show for my hollands and Angel and Wendland's (A Texas brand) for my lionheads.

I am sorry you don't feel this forum is friendly. I can tell you after being here a long time it is a very friendly forum. The forum is slower on the weekends as Peg stated. Which sometimes does drive me crazy because that is when I am on the most and I am like where is everyone! But after being here awhile, I know if I post a thread on the weekend. I may not get a reply until the weekday.

I also think that with fewer people on here on the weekends, they tend to look for threads that need a response ASAP like the ones posted in the infirmary where a rabbit is showing signs of an illness and needs an immediate response. Sometimes a quick response in the infirmary section can save a rabbits life.

I hope you stay around and get to know the forum a little better and will see we are all very friendly.

I also wanted to say I almost always post a question that has been asked before. I am one of those crazy people that think my situation is a little bit different so I want to post on my exact question or issue. I have always gotten friendly replies even if the question had been asked several times before. Also, sometimes previous threads on a subject are not that easy to find.

I hope you stick around and see how friendly the forum really is. I am on almost everday so if you ever have a question you feel like you are not getting an answer to, fel free to PM me. I will answer the best I can or bump your thread up.

my second post was a joke about it being some kind of secret..what is wrong with u guys.,.,??.cant handle any fun posts?.whos the stuffy ones around here..u need to reread my post it was meant to be funny..and u guys call me snippy!!!!!!!???..how rude are u?.i never called anybody anything.
as for it being a few hours later it was 2 days later(reread it) and i was just trying to bump it back up so people can see it....i cant believe im trying to explain myself over something that should have been taken as a fun post...

There is no need to be rude, Lisa. It's hard to tell over the internet when someone is meaning something as a joke.

Everyone, please refer to the forum decorum. There's no place for name calling and this might be a place where we'll just have to agree to disagree. The fact that it could have been bad timing, the OP was joking and bumped the thread, as well as members being put off by tone of an internet written reply has already been understood. Let's get past this discussion of who can and can't get a joke and talk about the topic at hand, which is if anyone wishes to post what pellets they feed their bunny to help Lisa, please add to the thread.

Finally, I want to say that the mods here work hard to try to foster a friendly environment. There may always be room for improvement but we are here to keep the peace and help people and their rabbits. We saw this discussion starting to go down a path of name calling and getting personal so we stepped in and are trying to get back on topic, for bunny's sake! :) That is why TinysMom and myself have given you additional links for your reference of previous threads and library resources. It's not meant to slow down your thread or stop it -- just the opposite. We're hoping the links give you more pellet options to think about and it may spawn more questions for everyone to discuss.

:thanks:

I didn't see your second post as snippy at all- it came across as light hearted to me. :)

However- your comment about people asking stupid questions was not only rude, but disrespectful. You may know a lot about rabbits but some people have never researched them etc. and have come on here to learn all the basics and more before considering getting a bunny, which is not only incredibly sensible, mature etc. but also what everyone needs to do before getting a rabbit, I believe.
There are no stupid questions- if you don't know anything about rabbits why would you know the basics? Do you know the basics of Giant African land Snails, or Axylotls? I doubt it because you probably haven't researched them or had them as a pet.
Same with those people who have never owned a rabbit or never known anyone who has owned a rabbit.

I commend anyone to come on here and ask the simplest question they may feel stupid asking- it's for the rabbit's best interest, and that is that any rabbit owner should be doing.

In answer to your question, I feed Burgess pellets to my rabbits. It is not sold in the US but is the leading brand in the UK. If I was to feed a different brand it would definately be Oxbow.

ETS- sorry i sent this before I saw kirbyultra's post

Jen

I just went back and reread the dates on the first posts - I apologize for that - for some reason I read them as being hours apart!

So pellets: One of the items where the premium brands genuinely seem to be better quality. I buy Excel or (if I'm im town) a brand I've just discovered called 'Dr Johnsons'. The Dr Johnsons brand has something in them that makes the bunny poops less pungent. Most importantly, both of my buns aprove of either brand ;)

Jo x

I feed my guy 'Burgess excel' They are nuggets.
My guy was selective feeding so I had to change him over, I am still in the middle of changing him over but he loves them which it amazing as he is such a picky eater LOL.

I would highly reccomend this type because my rabbit loves it. It also it very good for them and it too has different types, ones with less calories, for younger rabbits, older rabbits etc. It was 6.99 (euro) for a bag of it but that was in a well known pet shop but if you shop around it may be less. Or order online.

Hope you find a brand that suits you soon :)

Ok lol I thought it was two different people there for a moment.

I know how you feel.. though people should be able to ask questions and give good advice in order for it to be friendly forum, without being shot down for it.

I thought your other comment was light hearted too. Its hard to tell what that other person is feeling just by what they write on the net. Someone could see it as joking, while the next person would totally take it the wrong way.

I feed all my rabbits, 17% Protein Rabbit Chow, pinch of Old Fashion Rolled Oats, Hay every other day, 1 teaspoon Rabbit Supplement. And 1-2 steam's of Parsley once a week.

I feed all my rabbits Purina complete (green bag), though I may try out the purina show, but right now all are thriving on the green bag. I feed 1/2 cup to all the adults (which is split into two for a morning and evening meal since they all eat so quickly). Juniors are fed the same at the moment, since all are close to becoming Sr.'s. My does with litters are fed unlimited since the babies love to steal before momma gets any ^_^

Hay wise, all of ours get unlimited timothy hay, Ox Bow is the brand, though I'm looking into get hay from bunny bales, as it would be cheaper. We were going through a farmer, but he had only alfalfa and no one around here has any timothy at this time.

Veggie wise, I've been quite bad about giving any lately, They all get Leaf lettuce, but I haven't broken out of my routine of leaf lettuce in order to try other veggies with them lol Will have to work on that.

So that breaks down to: Two meals daily of: 1/4 cup pellets, unlimited timothy hay, and leaf lettuce. :) Hope that helps

Its a good idea to mix up pellets just like it's good to provide a variety of vegetation.

I mix Martins Less Active (a Canadian brand that's 'extruded' and thus great for dental care), Oxbow (expensive and not too popular in this warren) and a 14% protein feed store brand.

Extruded pellets are not easy to find in the US, I don't think. (They're made with longer fibers but may have less vitamins).

Contents are actually touchy. I'm not inclined to feed too many feedstore or local brands anymore, and if I do I make them the minority in a mix, because the contents really have to be carefully balanced, so many vitamins and minerals react off of each other, it's really quite the science.

I figure with enough variety in terms of mixing brands, though, they'll get what they need.

There's always warnings about 'colored bits' in pellets mostly because the rabbits tend to pick out the fattening bits and leave the healthier fiber, but I also think that some brands (in the UK in particular) have good variety are are designed without sweet and fatty bits (and not-so-great corn and peas), but still have color flakes, so avoiding those foods based on color isn't a good idea either.

Anyway, there's a ton of info, including content tags and member threads, in our Library, here:

Pellets

If anybody can add any brands to the list, that would be great.

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
Its a good idea to mix up pellets just like it's good to provide a variety of vegetation.

I mix Martins Less Active (a Canadian brand that's 'extruded' and thus great for dental care), Oxbow (expensive and not too popular in this warren) and a 14% protein feed store brand.

Extruded pellets are not easy to find in the US, I don't think. (They're made with longer fibers but may have less vitamins).

Contents are actually touchy. I'm not inclined to feed too many feedstore or local brands anymore, and if I do I make them the minority in a mix, because the contents really have to be carefully balanced, so many vitamins and minerals react off of each other, it's really quite the science.

I figure with enough variety in terms of mixing brands, though, they'll get what they need.

There's always warnings about 'colored bits' in pellets mostly because the rabbits tend to pick out the fattening bits and leave the healthier fiber, but I also think that some brands (in the UK in particular) have good variety are are designed without sweet and fatty bits (and not-so-great corn and peas), but still have color flakes, so avoiding those foods based on color isn't a good idea either.

Anyway, there's a ton of info, including content tags and member threads, in our Library, here:

Pellets

If anybody can add any brands to the list, that would be great.

sas :bunnydance:
Interesting, I was considering mixing like, Manna Pro and Pruina together, would you say that's a fair shot of variety? :)

CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:
I feed all my rabbits Purina complete (green bag), though I may try out the purina show, but right now all are thriving on the green bag. I feed 1/2 cup to all the adults (which is split into two for a morning and evening meal since they all eat so quickly). Juniors are fed the same at the moment, since all are close to becoming Sr.'s. My does with litters are fed unlimited since the babies love to steal before momma gets any ^_^

Hay wise, all of ours get unlimited timothy hay, Ox Bow is the brand, though I'm looking into get hay from bunny bales, as it would be cheaper. We were going through a farmer, but he had only alfalfa and no one around here has any timothy at this time.

Veggie wise, I've been quite bad about giving any lately, They all get Leaf lettuce, but I haven't broken out of my routine of leaf lettuce in order to try other veggies with them lol Will have to work on that.

So that breaks down to: Two meals daily of: 1/4 cup pellets, unlimited timothy hay, and leaf lettuce. :) Hope that helps
Purina show and fiber 3 are really good. I like that they removed the corn from the bag. What i don't like is that they went and added it to the green bag. Now its more expensive then fiber3 and show. :(

Do you think you could finda local farmer that grows orchard grass, or a mixture of grassy alfalfa? Just trying to help you out there. :p Right now mine are getting alfalfa bought from a farmer down the road from my sis. They were on some type of grass hay mix from the local farm store, that they purchase from local farmers. for some reason they didn't like it, and it was good hay. But the orchard grass,and alfalfa they dig right into.

Edit: Hey try using craigs list to find farmers selling hay on. Thats where I got some of mine from last year. If you haven't already. :)

Latest posts

Back