What Brand of WoodStove Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorylocks

Reaction score
I bought some horse stall pellets at Tractor Supply because they were on sale a 40 lb. bag for $5. Clyde hates them. He is 100% litter box trained as far as urine is concerned when he is inside his cage. He still has an occasional accident outside of his cage. When I started using the horse stall pellets he started peeing all over his cage. And my room!! He would not even eat the hay that I keep in his litter box. I guess he hates the feeling on his feet? Has anyone else had this happen?
So I guess I need some woodstove pellets that are small similar to yesterdays news cause he uses that just fine. I need to be able to get it at tractor supply though because that's the nearest farm supply store. And how can I tell if it has accelerant on it or not? Thanks for your help!
(*Sorry for any spelling errors, I typed this really fast!*)

When I tried wood stove pellets my rabbits HATED them and refused to use the litter box. I eventually switched (after much tryal and error) to Kaytee Soft Granule blend bedding. I LOVE it. I get it when it goes on sale at petco for $11 for a 27.5liter bag (which lasts well over 1 month with 3 litter boxes). The one problem with it is that the rabbits can kick it out of the boxes easily (especially my jersey wooly). It got so bad with my jersey wooly that I switched her to yesterdays news (and my cat as well). A solution I have found with them kicking he kaytee out of the box is to put a BIG litter box in there that has sides about 5" high. That seems to be perfect. While I used to wood pellets I found that I was having to clean my boxes CONSTANTLY because of the smell. They really did not help with it at all.

I don't even know the brand of the wood pellets? I'm not sure the brand even matters really. Just make sure they are pellets with no accelerants.....

But as far as him hating it....did you switch all at once? Rabbits can be very picky about sudden change, when I changed litter it probably took me two weeks. No kidding. Just put a little of the new litter in each day. Also, never clean the box all the way. Keep some urine and poop in there so they smell it. After two weeks of gradually adding the new litter they don't even remember the old stuff ;)

It will say if it has accelerant in it.
The wood pellets I get look identical to Yesterday's News. I get them from a feedstore, but I know I must be very specific when I get it. They have 2 types (same brand). But one is smaller than the other (it almost appears like corn cob bedding). The one with the smaller pieces doesn't work like the pellets. I wish I could remember the wording on the one that is NOT the right kind. The bags look almost identical.

Here, I found it. This link shows the pellets up close. See if it looks like what you got. They also have animal bedding in a similar package. Maybe you got something similar to the bedding instead. http://www.forestenergy.com/our-products/wood_pellets.htm

Last edited:
Along with hating the wood pellet texture he could also be hating the smell. When I first switched Gimpy to wood pellets he stopped using his box(which has a grid so it wasn't a texture thing) because of the stronger wood smell. The solution to that is opening the wood pellet bag and letting it air out. I dump it into a rubber maid bin and let it air out in the garage. At first it has a really strong sawdust smell but that goes away after a couple days. Then Gimpy is fine with it.

Some people find their buns are bothered with strong smells. If this is the case, buy the bag ahead of time and keep it open for a week or two to let the smell die down :)

I was using Yesterday's News and it was fine but I wasn't happy with the cost. People talked about wood stove pellets so I gave it a try, all at once. They're about the same size and I believe they both have about the same odor control (and I currently have an unneutered rabbit so the stink should be worse). I get the pellets at Lowes and its never quite the same brand but always the same product (no accelerants) though it does carry the warning that's its not safe for ingesting by humans and animals. I was worried at first, but I read up on it, the Vet okayed it, and Conan doesn't really chew or eat his litter and Im sure they put the warning because it was never tested for that purpose and so they're just covering themselves. All in all I'm quite happy and would recommend it.

Latest posts

Back