What are the signs of a well-bonded pair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HipsidyNLydia

Reaction score
We have two does here. Both are young, probably no more than 12 weeks old. Breeds uncertain, they listed Flemish Giants, Dutch, Lionhead, Mini Lop, and Mini Rex, but that was all the could fit on their sign, so there were probably more. Hipsidy Hopsidy is an albino bunny, and weighed in at 3lbs a week ago at the vet's office. Lydia, my sandy-colored sweetie, is outpacing Hipsidy Hopsidy in growth, leaning more towards her being a Flemish Giant. We will have to see when they stop growing.

I obviously think these two have bonded as well as any two rabbits can bond. They sleep "spooned" up together all the time in one of the two litter pans (and YAY, they appear to be pee-trained to the other box, two days with no urine in the bottom of the cage). The frolick around as best they can in their cage (it is large, but obviously not the same as being out in a room and running around). We are working on getting them more box-trained before letting them roam around more. I think I could take care of the most obnoxious part, the pee, if I put one of their boxes in the corner of this room where I have seen them pee more than once.

Hipsidy Hopsidy seems to be dominant. She is the one getting groomed 90% of the time. Lydia seems happy to go along with this, they have not fought at all.

What are the signs of a happily-bonded pair?

You've just explained it! :D

No fighting (including lunging, circling and boxing etc.) A hierarchy established- in your case, Hipsidy Hopsidy is dominant, and Lydia is fine with being submissive. Grooming, sleeping together, spending lots of time together. Not really squabbling over food or toys (I'm sure the occasional light squabble is okay).

Unfortunately, what I will say, is many young rabbits will get along fine, but as they grow older (getting to around the age of yours), THAT is when they will start fighting etc. You could be fine, and yours may remain nicely bonded, but as neither are spayed, that could present some problems, as their hormones will be on the rise right now! Then, if you choose to spay them (which you should, if you don't intend to breed from them), that may alter their relationship, and then you might have to 'rebond' them after their hormones have subsided etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if they soon start to fight, but I really hope they don't :)
Even syrian hamsters can be housed together when they are young, even though they are totally solitary animals and will kill eachother if housed together (when they reach maturity).

Jen

We will probably spay them when we get moved this summer - we are moving from Oklahoma to Wyoming in either June or July. In other words, we are moving in 5-8 weeks. The hubby has a report no later than date of July 31st, but is cleared to leave as soon as June 1st. Once we get our children's paperwork cleared for the move (dang military and their paperwork for kids with autism), we will know a date. But since we don't have an exact date nailed down, and Hipsidy is still on meds for her sneezing (they put her back on antibiotics), I want to wait for healthy bunnies to get fixed.

Latest posts

Back