What am I?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a black himalayan ("black himi") Netherland Dwarf, to me. Doesn't look like a mix to me! Just maybe bigger than standard, but certainly not by much. He looks like he might have been sold because of scissored ear carriage and uneven coloring on his back feet and tail.
How much does he weigh?

I LOVE himis! :D

Hmmm well shows you what I know haha. I wasn't aware Netherlands could be in himalayan marking XD But he sure does have those short ears. Hmm I've only had him since sunday the 3rd so I'm guessing on the weight, maybe around 5lbs (maybe less). I've only held him once and he didn't care for it so I haven'tpushed it

What do you mean by scissored ear carriage?

I love them too. His feet are sooooo cute! He's got a bit of uneven/marbling coloring on his ears too. I personally adore it. And he's so fluffy.

Haha sorry for gushing a little.

Gush away! Haha. And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say scissored ear carriage. I actually meant to say V carriage, which is when the ears are carries in a wide V instead of staying close together to the tips as Netherland Dwarfs should do. (But just so you know, scissored ear carriage is when one sort of crosses or overlaps the other one. Also an undesired trait in ND's.)

Yes, ND's come in the himi variety: black, blue, lilac and chocolate. Black is my personal favorite--their squinchy little noses make them look like they got too close to the fire! ;-)

If he is really five pounds he would be a REALLY big ND, so he was either badly bred or I'm wrong and he is mixed with something. I really don't see it though I must say.

Aaaaah I did think the way he held his ears were a little odd. I could be completely wrong about the weight. It's hard to tell with all that fur. I'll get a weight on him this weekend, I hope haha.

T.A. I don't think he's a Californian, a little on the small side for that. hmmm I actually have no idea what his age is. I'm pretty sure he's an adult. His man bits are very easy to spot, I'm getting that taken care of.

He's beautiful!! I would also guess a black himi ND, just may have not gotten the 'dwarf' gene so is what breeders would call a BUD or BUB (a big ugly doe or buck)--but he is in no way 'ugly'. ;) :D:D

If he's that large, he could have some Holland Lop orMini Rexmixed in. His ears are actually "V" carried, not scissored (crossed).

Well, I was way off on his weight. He's around the 3 lb mark, if a little under.

He's actually a very sweet rabbit as it is even being intact. He keeps giving me and the cats kisses haha.

4kr wrote:
He's beautiful!! I would also guess a black himi ND, just may have not gotten the 'dwarf' gene so is what breeders would call a BUD or BUB (a big ugly doe or buck)--but he is in no way 'ugly'. ;) :D:D

That is what I was thinking, dwarf rabbits have 1 dwarf gene and one normal gene

A true dwarf is 1 dwarf gene and 1 normal gene

A peanut is 2 dwarf genes, this is a lethal combo and peanuts die before weaned

A false dwarf is 2 normal genes, they are often bigger.

So if you breed 2 true dwarfs you get 25% false dwarfs, 50% true dwarfs and 25% peanuts

If you breed 1 true dwarf and 1 false you get 50% true and 50% false.

Breeders perfer too use a false dwarf doe because she is bigger and can handle birthing and raising her kits better then a true dwarf doe.

My Nova is a true dwarf her sister, who a friend adopted, is a false Dawrf Angel is much bigger then Nova.

oooh thank you Pharfly, that's very interesting to know. Genetics are fasinating. Never going to start breeding, but it's interesting.

4kr, yes he is definately not ugly :)

Latest posts

Back