West Wind's Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, because he is not even remotely close to being a pet. My daughter and I have been trying, for around 2 months now, to at least get him to where he doesn't freak out if you try to touch him. No go. He's terrified of people, all people, at any time of the day or night. You can't get him out of his cage, or open the door and get him to come out. If you pick him up, he screams like there's a pack of coyotes trying to rip him apart.

I tried offering him for sale,for free...nada. He's over a year old, and set in his ways. I'm not sure what his real story is, but it isn't the one that breeder painted when I was buying him. He's an awesome rabbit, and would have done very well at the shows. Right now he has to go somewhere...either someone can have him, or he'll be served at the next VFW board meeting. :-(

Been super busy around here. I've narrowed my buns down, and will only be keeping Blueberry (for me) and LaRew (who Kitty wants). The rest will be offered for sale. :(

Kitty (hopefully) got her 3 Californians bred, for her meat pen entries in August. The only iffy one, she said, was Twila.

I bred Adeline to Sonny yesterday. I'm hoping that cross gives me some better shoulders. After this litter, I'll probably sell Adeline (has great head/crown/ears/hindquarters, but has very sloping shoulders).

Cher (if she took at the breeder's) will be kindling on May 1st. If she didn't take, I'll have to decide what to do there. The only breeding buck I have is her brother, unfortunately.

Rosa, bred to Sonny, should be kindling around May 11th. I'm hoping I get better heads than Rosa. She'll be for sale when these babies are weaned.

My plan is to keep 1 from each breeding, selling off the does and litter mates that aren't the "best" of what I have to pick from.

Max is doing great. I really love that little doe, and hope she has some really nice babies for me. But I won't breed her until I have to, because I want to show her as long as possible.

Spaz...well, Spaz is Spaz, unfortunately. Although he's been coming to the front of the cage when I come over, he still freaks out if you even try to touch him. I've been letting him come out of the cage directly into the Xpen. But the second you put a doe in there, he starts running 100 mph away. Adeline REALLY wanted bred (I should have video taped it) and he wanted nothing to do with her.

I'm going to take the 5 babies with me to the show on May 5th. I'll leave them in the car (if it's not hot out), and put a sale sign up. I'll also take them with me to the May 12th show, which I think will be much bigger. What I can't sell will end up going to our local livestock auction.

Kitty's keeping all 3 of her Californian babies, from the Twila/Jack cross. Those are her best 2 brood animals, and the babies are really looking nice. VERY deep across the shoulders, midsection, and hindquarters to drool over. Because show entries for Californians are always low, she was considering only keeping a trio (for breeding for 4_H meat pen entries every year) and branching out to siamese Mini Satins for her "main" breed.

Well, back down to the barn to clean stalls (which turns into more baby watching than cleaning. LOL). Hubby promised he'd get the barnyard scraped this weekend (we had to keep 2 horses in there for the winter, and it's a mess), along with the run-in area of the barn where I'm moving my rabbits to. I just hope it doesn't rain, or he won't be able to do it until next weekend.

Didn't get all the stalls cleaned, but did get some new pictures. haha

Cher weighed in just shy of 15 pounds. I'm 99.9% she's definitely bred. Here are a few updated pictures of her. She's round, round, round! I sure wish she hadn't lost the tips of her ears. She would have definitely done well on the table. :(

544686_3875183323805_1405356771_3491349_350296233_n.jpg

531180_3875184003822_1405356771_3491351_1152899104_n.jpg

34697_3875183563811_1405356771_3491350_996373444_n.jpg

And here are the rest of the critters:

Abby:
564181_3875182283779_1405356771_3491347_1301198003_n.jpg

Zhiva:
528668_3875186723890_1405356771_3491359_1511497259_n.jpg

Agent Gibbs:
545163_3875184363831_1405356771_3491352_16209697_n.jpg

Booberry:
526160_3875182723790_1405356771_3491348_1124778221_n.jpg

Jack (Kitty's herd buck, sire of above kits):
306296_3875184643838_1405356771_3491353_875880535_n.jpg

Twila (mother to above kits)
318228_3875186483884_1405356771_3491358_69059352_n.jpg

Trisha, the doe we bought at 2 months at the PaSRBA Convention. She's 5 months old now, and solid!
534052_3875186363881_1405356771_3491357_1926173442_n.jpg

Opie:
582820_3875185523860_1405356771_3491355_266816331_n.jpg

And Nasty Kat. This fellow is always into something. And "bats" at you when you walk past, and isn't above pouncing on you, either. LOL
389197_3875184963846_1405356771_3491354_1885732809_n.jpg

I know. I did e-mail the breeder that sold him to us. She said she just put the doe in his cage. That he was aggressive with the does, but they were aggressive back. Well, I saw on her site that the breeding she claimed she did right before we picked him up never materialized. And that's because he has NO interest in breeding, at all. I'll give him another month or so, and then he has to go. I need the cage space, and have no use for a buck that won't breed and won't make a pet. :(

Well, I sold Frostie and Blaster so far. One is going to NY and the other to NJ. It will be neat seeing some of my stock at the shows. Well, neat if they win, not so much if they don't. haha I still have Flip and Heifer for sale. We're going to keep Booberry, LaRew, and Opie (the only buck) for now. I hate selling them this young, but I don't have the cages to keep them all.

Excited about the impending birth of Cher's babies. This should be a really nice litter, and one of the helping hands in deciding who to keep from Ad's litter. Cher is much better built than Ad. And, honestly, if I had known back then what I know now, I would never have bought Ad or Rosa.

Eventually I want to just keep one doe from Ad's litter. But the two we're keeping, for now, show the most promise in where we need to go with our program.

Rosa is due on the 11th. Not sure how that cross will go. But after her babies are weaned, I'll sell her, too.

After Adeline has her litter, she'll be for sale. And, of course, I'll keep 1 for me (if any are really nice, and improved where the herd needs improving) and sell the rest.

I didn't want any more babies until next year, but Max will need bred in October. I'll wait as long as possible, because I want to keep showing her. That litter will be fun, because they'll be in the house. :)

We have been super busy! The kids only have 1 1/2 days left of school. I can't wait!

On the bunny side of things: breeding is in full swing. I hope! For Cals, we have Twila, Alfie, and Ruby bred. Twila and Alfie I don't know about, but Ruby is definitely going to have babies. She started building her nest the second I put the box in. She has quite a bit of fur pulled already. I just hope the other 2 caught.

Adeline, bred to Sonny, is due tomorrow, too. I'm a bit worried about this litter. Only because Adeline isn't strong in the shoulder department...and I don't think that it's Sonny's strong point, either. This will be Adeline's last litter for the year.

My goal is to only have a litter or 2 from each doe. That way we can hang on to the babies longer, without buying 1000 new cages and having way more rabbits than we can handle.

We want to breed Twila again towards the end of the year. Kitty can't show her, because she appears to be developing a small spot of smut on her belly. :(

Ruby can't be shown, because she has a broken tail (came like that). Her tail looks straight, but you can definitely feel where it was broken. Whether we keep her or not will depend on what her babies look like. If they're really, really nice, then she can stay as a brood doe. If not, she'll be sold in August.

Alfie has done extremely well on the tables this year. But she'll be in the same boat as Ruby. If she has really nice babies, she might stay. But odds are good that she'll be sold in August, too.

No babies out of Rosa or Cher. Cher I'll try a few more times before writing her off and re-selling her as a pet. Rosa will be sold shortly. If she has a litter, it won't be until they're weaned. If she didn't catch this time, then she'll go after her kindle date is past.

Then there's Max and Trisha. They'll both need to be bred after the big fair in August. Which stinks, because Kitty and I both wanted to show them all year. But, thankfully, by then she'll have her 3 current Cal babies and the Flop she got from me. And I'll have my 2 Flops, so won't be completely bunny-less. :)

I really, really, really have to figure out what I'm doing with Spaz. :( I would have liked to get just one litter out of him and Cher. But neither one of them are following my goals for the year, darn them. LOL All joking aside, if he doesn't breed a doe for me, he's gone. Adeline is a super easy breeder, and he wouldn't even breed her. You still can't pick him up, or even touch him. To try to get him to breed, I just put the x-pen around his cage, waited until he came out, then shut the x-pen around him. That's the only way to get him to and from his cage...period. :(

I kept Dopie Opie, to see if he'll be a good candidate for breeding/showing. And still have Heifer (who is now named Hillary). If I don't sell her at the big show on the 3rd, I'll drop her price down to a pet price and just sell her with a birth certificate instead of a pedigree. Out of the 7 babies from that litter, she's my least favorite one...in personality and quality.

Can you contact a rescue to see if their willing to take on spaz?

Blaster was my fav. Loved the coloring. Go to mo state fair?

I can't dump him on a rescue. He is NOT a pet rabbit. There's no chance at all of him ever becoming one, either. He gets one last chance (which I've been saying since I got him. LOL) to breed a doe. Then I'll just have him put to sleep. :(

Blaster was one of my favorites, too! I haven't heard from the new owner to see how she's developing. She was really nice at 9 weeks...I bet she's really coming into her own now.

No, we go to the Huntingdon Fair.

Never seen the color on a frenchie thatswhy i liked her. Would love to get into showing later, been talking 4h for my daughter (a bit early) and frenchies are on my list

And i get it about spaz. Every animal has its purpose. Gotta earn its food. By pet or productio,

Yeah, almost everyone shows plain old colors. Mine just happen to be away from the regular old chestnut agouti. And it wasn't planned. Those were the animals I found, that fit what I was looking for.

As for Spaz, I'd LOVE to be able to re-home him as a pet. But he is not a pet, nor will he ever be. Whether by breeding or by not being handled young, he won't come around. I have NEVER had a rabbit SCREAM if you so much as touch them or try to pick them up. He's absolutely terrified.

Adeline throws really beautiful colors. Absolutely love that baby. She's stunning. I wish she would stay that coloring, but she'll be changing, either lighter or maybe darker?

Truly sorry to hear about Spaz. Something must of happened before you even saw him because I truly believe he would have settled down by now under your care. I commend you for not trying to push him off to someone else, because he is truly taking up a hole in your rabbitry. Hoping one day you find someone who will take him and help him not be so terrified. And for you to hear that scream. I get the chills. So sorry you are going thru that.

BTW, how's your little Polish doing?

K:)

Thanks, Karen. That doe is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to show her in August, and see what the judges have to say. She's easy to breed, has her litters like an old pro, takes wonderful care of them, and is an all around nice girl. She's one that, when she's done having babies for me, she'll be here until she dies.

Spaz...I really wish the woman would have been honest about him. Then again, I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Maybe he was sent to me, and eventually he'll come around. Or he was sent to me because I'll do the right thing by him. Whatever the reason, I feel so badly for him. The only progress he's made is that he'll come to the front of his cage, to get his oatmeal. Before he wouldn't even come near the front, if you were standing there. And he doesn't dart away, unless he thinks I'm going to try to touch him.

Nestle is doing wonderfully!! Every single person loves him. Well, except my hubby, who hasn't seen him yet. LOL The boys, who aren't into the rabbit thing at all, are forever getting him out to hold and pet. He's already getting spoiled rotten! And he's decided he wants to take up reading. LOL I have the sewing table pushed under the built-in bookcase, and he managed to get his nose through the cage and tasted a few books and their covers. LOL

I'm looking forward to finding Kitty a doe...I can certainly envision a lot of Polish bunnies in the house. :)

wendymac wrote:
Thanks, Karen. That doe is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to show her in August, and see what the judges have to say. She's easy to breed, has her litters like an old pro, takes wonderful care of them, and is an all around nice girl. She's one that, when she's done having babies for me, she'll be here until she dies.

Spaz...I really wish the woman would have been honest about him. Then again, I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Maybe he was sent to me, and eventually he'll come around. Or he was sent to me because I'll do the right thing by him. Whatever the reason, I feel so badly for him. The only progress he's made is that he'll come to the front of his cage, to get his oatmeal. Before he wouldn't even come near the front, if you were standing there. And he doesn't dart away, unless he thinks I'm going to try to touch him.

Nestle is doing wonderfully!! Every single person loves him. Well, except my hubby, who hasn't seen him yet. LOL The boys, who aren't into the rabbit thing at all, are forever getting him out to hold and pet. He's already getting spoiled rotten! And he's decided he wants to take up reading. LOL I have the sewing table pushed under the built-in bookcase, and he managed to get his nose through the cage and tasted a few books and their covers. LOL

I'm looking forward to finding Kitty a doe...I can certainly envision a lot of Polish bunnies in the house. :)
Wishing you luck with her in August. Adeline is the one that made me start really looking at Flops. They just look like sweet lumps. And baby lops, with those wonky ears, just make me melt. I'd love to have so many different breeds, but have to watch how big the tribe gets. Maybe some day, you never know.

Yes, the woman should have been honest with you from the very beginning with Spaz. But I believe what you feel. There was a reason. Now you have had Spaz about 3 months? I think with a bunny that frightened, you made some major progress. It's going to take time. I truly hope you break through to this guy. I would love to see him do what you really want with him. Make some beautiful lop babies.

Nestle sounds like he's won the whole family over and will be very spoiled. I love my Kreacher. He's my tiniest bunny, but has such a big heart. Always helps me out of a mood by just being there to snuggle. Can't wait to you find a little girl for Kitty. And I can see you with Polish babies in your future. They truly are a sweet, small breed.

K:)

Latest posts

Back