West Wind's Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!

Kaley, I don't get much of anything done. I start to clean a stall, then have to watch them for a while. haha

K, there are a few that are nibbling on pellets. It takes them a while to eat just one, and all you hear is "crunch, crunch, crunch" really quickly. LOL

Crunch, crunch, crunch is a really good sound. Glad to hear they are starting to eat solid foods. That's exactly what you want. On the road to becoming independent from Mom.

K:)

Yep, they're starting to nibble pellets and hay. I don't think they're fans of water, though...the bottle dripped on the creamy one (who is the one to get into everything!) and he took off running with a few hops. haha

Well they got Mom's milk, but they will eventually figure out water is not just wet but good to drink and good tasting.

Very sad day here on Monday. I've been picking up and handling all of the Cal babies, daily. They all seemed fine, until I turned the nest box over to let them start moving around. The baby that had the big sore on it's back wasn't caused from Twila licking it. The other 3 started moving around, but the one that had the sore couldn't use it's back legs. When you picked it up, it could move them a little...but on the ground, it dragged itself around by the front legs. So now I think she must have been having it, jumped into the nest box, and smacked its back on the edge.

So out of 5 baby Cals, we now are down to 3. Out of 10 Frenchies, we're down to 7. :(

Phew! We've been super busy around the farm. Got all the trash cleaned up (living along the highway, it all blows here...people need to use a darn trash can!), flower beds almost ready, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

Kitty's pretty disappointed on losing a baby. She's been handling all of them, and thinks she wants to use the French Cream baby for her showmanship rabbit. So he's not just my favorite, but hers, too. :)

Here are some updated pictures. Feeding time is a hoot. I give them all oatmeal. The baby pens I mix the oatmeal into the food (to keep one or two from hogging it all), and the rest just get it on the top of their feed. It's funny watching them flit from bowl to bowl, trying to find just the right spot to eat from.

They are all growing fabulously. Both litters are drinking from the water bottles, too.

There is one Cal that is really built! It's like a square, with a head. The others are nice, too, but this one really looks like dad.

Here are some pictures taken today. While cold and windy, they don't seem to mind.

547606_3630794494237_1405356771_3385731_2081708_n.jpg

526860_3630795694267_1405356771_3385732_1359894598_n.jpg

544408_3630796894297_1405356771_3385733_777995563_n.jpg

549538_3630791254156_1405356771_3385726_1686671006_n.jpg

Babies are so stinkin adorable! So sorry to hear about the loses. They're so easy to get attached to watching them grow. Love the pictures. Keep the updates a'comin.

That one white one with the blue eyes... I'm just in love! Sooo cute. I love the weirdness in the color of the coat... not quite pure white; there's just something off in it. I love it!!

They look so good Wendy. Love the cream baby lop. Definitely one I would keep.

And yes that Cali does look like a brick with a head. Really nice.

Love the Cali mom and babies pic.

So thrilled for you. And yes people should you a trash can instead of just throwing stuff out of the window. I don't live near a highway but still find trash on my lawn. No respect at all for anyone.

You're telling me, I rent a house near the University here and we constantly find beer cans, red plastic cups, even cases of beer on our front lawn.

Over the two years I've lived here we've found tennis balls, a plastic decorative halloween skull, chicken bones, mittens, garbage, red cups, cases of beer, beer cans and bottles... you name it!

Thanks, everyone. :)

Marisa, the creamy one is called Frosted Pearl. Just what kind of frostie, I'm not sure.

K, it's definitely staying. Along with the one broken fawn/lynx, the REW, and the blue. And probably the one opal (maybe?) colored one (Heifer). And... see, I can't narrow it down. LOL It's going to depend on who is show quality and who isn't. Except the creamy one. I'm keeping it, just because it's so stinking friendly.

We're keeping all the Cal babies, too. At this rate, my breeding will be over because we'll be full. LOL

Thanks for sharing. Poor Adeline, she is such a good Mom. Just watching those kits jumping around and on her was just too funny. I bet she can't wait until that x-pen is used also.

They are just precious and full of life and energy.

Thanks, K! I think she's a good mom, too. If it were me, I'd probably be biting them. LOL They spend all day hopping over/on her, using her as a springboard, etc. They'll probably do that in the Xpen, too, because all she usually does in there is hop a few hops and then flop. haha

Well, tried putting them in the Xpen with Adeline today. That did NOT work. LOL

Here's some footage of them playing:
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/sassychicklette/?action=view&current=playing.mp4

And here, look in the drop pan under the Cal doe's pen! During the shooting of the video, I was doing a head count. Then I saw where the REW went. LOL

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n242/sassychicklette/?action=view&current=rew_breakout.mp4

Adeline wasn't thrilled with having them out, though. I think I need to wait another week before attempting it again.

Yea Adeline looked a bit worried. Trying to keep count of all of them. Just not ready to give up on the Mothering part. Good for her. I think in a week she will be mentally ready to let them go.

They are just so cute.

How cute, what a little escape artist, it shouldn't be long until they can't get out of the xpen. She looked like she didn't know how to keep up with them all in such a big space. She is such a good momma.

Yeah, Adeline wasn't thrilled with the plan, at all. She's such a good mom, so I'll take my cues from her. If she doesn't mind being a springboard, more power to her. LOL

Jonathan (the youngest twin), is currently working on how to build a portable fence, made out of wood frame and wire. Then they won't be able to escape. For now it has to be collapsible, until we have the milk house ready. I'm not sure if he'll be able to wing it or not, but at least he's going to try. He's our handy man...so if he can't do it, it won't get done.

I feel bad that I didn't get Rosa, Jack, or Spazz out today...but they'll be first on the list in the morning.

Oh, and Had another "brain storm" today. We have the end of the barn that is nothing more than a big run-in area for any horses that may be in the barn yard (because they're sick, going to get ridden, etc). Anyway, it's 60' by 20'. There's a stone wall on the one long side and the short back side, and the other has a huge cement trough with the cattle head things in front of it (which is the only reason we didn't turn it into "real" stalls). I'm going to clean all the sawdust out of it, and move all the does cages in there. That'll give me a LOT more space (currently working with 14'x12', and out of room). And because there's a slight slope to it, I can hose the entire thing out daily, too. The front leads directly out to the manure spreader area, water handy, etc. And I'll have room to set up a permanent exercise area for the buns.

The major drawback to turning the milk house into the rabbitry was lack of water. Which would mean lugging all the drop pans down steps, over to the barn, just to clean them out. Plus no way to really hose it down without creating a mess inside. And carrying water to the buns.

The major drawback to the end of the horse barn is in the winter, it's going to be cold! The one long side is pretty much open, except for the metal pipes for the cattle things. I can hang Dad's big trucking tarp along there, but there will be NO way to make it completely air tight. How much air can a bun tolerate? The barn stays fairly warm, but there is air movement, for sure (need it, for horses' health).

Latest posts

Back