Weird bald spots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
I noticed Lulu has been getting some bad bald spots around her floofy butt. She's shedding bad right now, and some of the spots that were bald before now have some fur growing back. I brushed her and got a WHOLE bunch of fur out, and now she has no fur there.
Is this ok??? I am pretty worried, but since the hair IS growing back, I think she's ok, but just want to make sure.
Thank you in advance!

Sounds like she’s going through a very very heavy shed. The fur will likely grow back without any problems. So just keep brushing her daily or twice daily to make sure she’s not ingesting too much fur. Other than that, it’ll grow back in a week or so. I think

I brushed her and got a WHOLE bunch of fur out, and now she has no fur there.
Is this ok???

This is what always happens with my bunny Odin, I get huge naked spots and he look like a pricky cheese with his bald spots. He always get a big bald spot on his lower back. I don’t need to brush I can just easily pull the fur and I get a spot but the fur always grows out. This onlt happens during the most heaviest molting.

I rather just brush him and make sure he won’t get any fur in his stomach. But it’s always funny looking at my bunny jumping around with such an uneven fur 🤣

This is what always happens with my bunny Odin, I get huge naked spots and he look like a pricky cheese with his bald spots. He always get a big bald spot on his lower back. I don’t need to brush I can just easily pull the fur and I get a spot but the fur always grows out. This onlt happens during the most heaviest molting.

I rather just brush him and make sure he won’t get any fur in his stomach. But it’s always funny looking at my bunny jumping around with such an uneven fur 🤣
Ok, thank you so much for answering 😂😂😂😂. I was pretty concerned that she had some big problem because all her fur coming out so easily.

Ok, thank you so much for answering 😂😂😂😂. I was pretty concerned that she had some big problem because all her fur coming out so easily.

Myself just blame the neutering, My bunny never had so heavy molting before he was neutered. I also was scared when I notice his spots during molting the first time, so I took him to the vet and did a health check, there was nothing wrong with him and it all grew back. So every time it’s molting season and my bunny have a heavy molting, you can see his baby pink skin shine 🤣

Sounds like she’s going through a very very heavy shed. The fur will likely grow back without any problems. So just keep brushing her daily or twice daily to make sure she’s not ingesting too much fur. Other than that, it’ll grow back in a week or so. I think
Ok, thank you!!! Thankfully she doesn't groom herself very much where all the fur is coming out, so she, hopefully, isn't ingesting much. My sweet girl will have to endure daily brushing again.

Do you know if it's normal that some bunnies just don't shed like others though? My brother's bun doesn't shed at all really. He's a holland lop.

Well. I got to get hold of Dotty (my only spayed rabbit), she looks like a hedgehog right now, fur comming off in clumps and, thank god, she doesn't groom herself much. Hates being touched, at leasts hates me ripping fistfuls of fur off her, but it needs to be done, summer is comming...

Well. I got to get hold of Dotty (my only spayed rabbit), she looks like a hedgehog right now, fur comming off in clumps and, thank god, she doesn't groom herself much. Hates being touched, at leasts hates me ripping fistfuls of fur off her, but it needs to be done, summer is comming...
Same with Lulu! When I pull or brush her fur I always give her a carrot piece and she doesn't care at ALL. But when she's finished with the carrot, then it's trouble 🙄.

Reading your situations i have to consider mysekf lucky because Musti never moulted like that(he just had shorter softer fur on both his sides when he shed) and Storm isn't moulting like crazy either(yet). He has matted tufts on his bum bum but he doesn't seem to mind, nor will he let me groom it. Is that way okay?
Upon closer inspection i can see the bum hair clutters raised a bit. See if you can spot it!20200622_195605.jpg20200622_112152.jpg

(sorry this response is so long) It may just be your rabbits way of molting. Mine would shed like that a couple times a year. Wish I had known about the wet hand method of helping them shed, you dip your hand in water than rub their fur coat in the opposite direction of growth then rub your fur covered hands together and the fur rolls up into a neat rope keeping it from flying all over the place, same with getting the fur off your cloths. It wouldn't hurt to have your vet take a look if you find you can literally lift and peel away the fur in areas that leaves complete bald spots, and if your rabbit is losing more hair than what is growing back. I noticed a change in my rabbits molting this December, which was unusual timing. I had posted the question on here asking what could be going on since you could literally lift the fur right off leaving bald patches. Someone mentioned a type of cancer, and in the end the vet mentioned that she felt it was cancer. He was too old to treat for cancer and still have quality of life, but she did do blood work and started him on antibiotics with the hope she was wrong and that it was just an infection. His skin started to stiffen to the point hopping around became too painful, it got to the point that areas around his legs would crack and bleed. From the first bald spot to losing him was only a few weeks. His weight dropped rapidly and the vet felt he was suffering, so we had to make the difficult decision. Heartbreakingly his bonded mate passed away only weeks later, she developed a respiratory issue that antibiotics didn't touch. I believe his loss was just too hard on her. They were both older, around 10 years old. Im sure your rabbit is just molting, but I did want to tell my story, in case anyone reading this notices a change in their older rabbits molting...

(sorry this response is so long) It may just be your rabbits way of molting. Mine would shed like that a couple times a year. Wish I had known about the wet hand method of helping them shed, you dip your hand in water than rub their fur coat in the opposite direction of growth then rub your fur covered hands together and the fur rolls up into a neat rope keeping it from flying all over the place, same with getting the fur off your cloths. It wouldn't hurt to have your vet take a look if you find you can literally lift and peel away the fur in areas that leaves complete bald spots, and if your rabbit is losing more hair than what is growing back. I noticed a change in my rabbits molting this December, which was unusual timing. I had posted the question on here asking what could be going on since you could literally lift the fur right off leaving bald patches. Someone mentioned a type of cancer, and in the end the vet mentioned that she felt it was cancer. He was too old to treat for cancer and still have quality of life, but she did do blood work and started him on antibiotics with the hope she was wrong and that it was just an infection. His skin started to stiffen to the point hopping around became too painful, it got to the point that areas around his legs would crack and bleed. From the first bald spot to losing him was only a few weeks. His weight dropped rapidly and the vet felt he was suffering, so we had to make the difficult decision. Heartbreakingly his bonded mate passed away only weeks later, she developed a respiratory issue that antibiotics didn't touch. I believe his loss was just too hard on her. They were both older, around 10 years old. Im sure your rabbit is just molting, but I did want to tell my story, in case anyone reading this notices a change in their older rabbits molting...
I am so sorry for your loss!! That's awful! I bet their both binkying along a rainbow bridge... ❤❤❤

Back