Water bottles vs. bowls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

featpete

Reaction score
My 9 week old baby Netherland Dwarf will drink out of a bowl all day long (I put a bowl out when he's running around the room freely), but only seems to touch a water bottle here and there(bottle in the cage with no water bowl). The breeder I got him from said that all of her bunnies are used to bottles, but I'm worried that my bunny isn't getting enough.

I know that bottles are suggested because it's less messy and whatnot but I would like to know how many of you use bottles and how many use bowls?

Any suggestions on how to get him to drink from his bottle more often?

I prefer bowls by far. They are less effort for the rabbit to drink from which means they're more likely to drink more in a given time and stay better hydrated. In warmer weather a good crock will keep the water cooler and more appealing. I can also put ice cubes in it without worrying the tiny mostly-melted pieces will stop up the bottle. I also can station drink bowls around the house easier than bottles so they don't have to go far to get a drink either.

It may be yours prefers the bowl and so is getting enough/the bulk of it's needs from it when running around. You could also test your waterbottle to see that it's working well enough for the bunny to get the water and maybe ensure the angle it's on is one that's comfy for the bun but it may just be a case of nothing wrong other than your buns prefers one over the other. :) If you're worried your bun isn't getting enough though you can take a look at how hydrated she is... chances are if the skin is telling you that the hydration is good and you've got good output in the litter tray, bun is getting enough.

we put a bit of "sunflower nut butter" (which is like peanut butter with just ground up sunflowers) on the end and they started drinking from it almost instantly.

for us bowls are just not practical - makes cleaning up far more difficult and they always get really dirty and messy. i'd love to be able to let them drink from bowls but we just cant handle it

I prefer bowls. I find them much easier to clean than bottles and the rabbits seem to like them better as well. I have 1 rabbit who uses a bottle as she spills bowls.

Definitely bowls. Rabbits can't get enough water from that little water spout. Have you ever put your finger at the end of the spot and felt the amount of water that comes out? I was recently reading about some rabbits who were surrendered to our local HRS who only had water bottles. They were given bowls and emptied the bowls in an hour. The poor things had been so thirsty. Sometimes, the rabbits stop licking the spout out of exhaustion, not when they have gotten enough to drink. That's why for me bowls are the only option. I use a heavy ceramic bowl and clean it twice a day. No mess at all. You can't scrub the inside bottle, but you can scrub a bowl.

For those who have mentioned they have issues with the water getting dirty, or the bowls being tipped, have you tried the bowls that attach to the side of the cage?

I tried the bowl that attaches to the cage, but the cat kept sticking her paw through the bars and into the water, just to play with it. I have since gone with a heavy crock that the cats and bunny can share. The cats also have a water fountain and the bun has a bottle in her house. She seems to drink from both, I guess she doesn't want to leave her house at night to get a drink.

Personally I prefer bowls - I find that rabbits drink out of them more. It is tricky to keep them clean - I find it's much easier when a rabbit is in a large enclosure and you can keep the bowl far away from hay and other messy things.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm surprised that so many people use bowls, but it makes sense since it's a much easier way for rabbits to drink.

I guess my main concern is that Waffle is CRAZY when eating. He loves to stick his legs into food/water bowls so he'd definitely splash around even if the bowl was heavy. I even have a heavy small bowl for his food and food spills out EVERYWHERE because he's such a fiend. I guess I'll see if he seems to be getting enough water from the bottle and if not, I'll just give him a bowl.

There are bowls that attach to the edge of cages (often made for birds) that are great for the crazy bunny who tips things over or steps in water.

With larger enclosures I find it easier to put the bowl in a corner where the rabbit is unlikely to run it over. If the bowl has to be out in the open it's more likely a nutty bun will run right through it, so you have to be creative.

Good post. My bunny really drinks very little, or it seems. I have given him both bowl and bottle daily, doesn't show preference for either. I wonder how much they should drink per day?

Someone else posted once about feeding them vegetables recently washed and not dried, "tricking" them into drinking. that seems smart too!

I use bowls and water bottles. I like my rabbits to know how to use both, that way if something comes up, etc. then they know how to use one regardless. Of course, there are the bunnies that prefer water dishes over bottles, and vice versa, so they get those rather than the other.

I don't really have a preference...I guess? I'm not sure. Water dishes are a lot easier to fill, but they have to be cleaned more often as well.

Emily

MiniLopHop wrote:
I tried the bowl that attaches to the cage, but the cat kept sticking her paw through the bars and into the water, just to play with it. I have since gone with a heavy crock that the cats and bunny can share. The cats also have a water fountain and the bun has a bottle in her house. She seems to drink from both, I guess she doesn't want to leave her house at night to get a drink.
I have heard in the past that cat saliva is toxic to buns. Not sure if it's true.
I prefer the attach on bowls. When I got the bottles, the darn things leaked.

I just clean my bowls with tap water. I choose not to use any soap/chemicals in case that kind of stuff stays. Water seems to do the trick fine.

I preffer water bottles because they get less messy. All my rabbits get enough from the water bottles, and they too preffer the bottles. Because the always tip the
water bowls! Lol. Nothing against the people who like bowls, but I think water bottles are the less messy. Everyone in my Rabbit Club uses them.

my 4.5 year old uses a bowl, doesnt get very messy. i change it a couple times a day since some of her hair gets in it. i put a tiny bit of vinegar in the bottom every couple days then rinse it out with water real good.

i continue giving her a bottle incase, my lop would usually drink from her bottle but he's no longer with us so i leave it in her cage incase. but our new rabbit is using a bottle. i usually just rinse real good with hot water. wasnt sure if that kills enough germs.

I prefer bowls. My buns don't knock over their bowls so it's fairly simple. They get fur and hay in it sometimes but they still slurp from it most of the time. I change the bowl once or twice daily to keep it potable.

My problem with bottles is that they can leak (at least mine did) and after a while the twist-on-cap part of the bottle gets this weird gunky black stuff that is a pain in the butt to clean with q-tips. It's some weird residue that's a result of the materials I think.

I prefer bottles. My buns are just so messy, especially my girls. They like to sit up on their hind legs and then just plop down into their water bowls. So, I switched to bottles.

BOWLS! But with a backup water bottle that if it drips is hanged to do so in the bowl. I use ceramic bowls so the buns cannot toss them, but my "insurance" is the water bottle that hangs just above the bowl incase I die on my way home :shock:...

Latest posts

Back