Water bottles vs. bowls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's a good idea to put it above the bowl. the bottles ive had dont seem to drip. the one bottle dripped for a while. i did buy 2 new bottles yesterday though from petco so well see if they drip!

I used to use a bottle, but now I use a ceramic bowl. Since dehydration can wreak havoc on a rabbit's digestive system, I'd rather know that Gus is getting the most water he can! And he definitely drinks more out of the bowl!

I still keep the bottle as back up, just in case. But he hasn't used it in literally months!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Coffee has a bowl. She use to have a bottle but she kept tugging at the water bottle every time she needed a drink. She drinks a lot of water so I guess the bowl makes it easier for her.

tiabia0 wrote:
what does everyone use to clean their bottles/bowls?

I use white vinegar and a little Dawn dishsoap.....and lots of hot water.

To clean the bottles throughly I use a bottle brush.

kirbyultra wrote:
.......after a while the twist-on-cap part of the bottle gets this weird gunky black stuff that is a pain in the butt to clean with q-tips. It's some weird residue that's a result of the materials I think.

I got that, too.

With my bottles it was caused by the black rubber washer in the cap.
I was able to replace them with the washers that are used in garden hoses, and haven't had the "black gunk" problem since.

I switched to using a heavy ceramic bowl for my buns, every water bottle ive had has leaked and just been a pain. They never seemed to be getting enough water and they empty the bowl regularily now (im always on top of cleaning it and filling it though, im not letting them go without, lol) I usually just give it a good rinse every day or other day with water, if it gets really dirty i throw it in the dishwasher.

I rinsed off the bottles & bowl with a tiny bit of dish soap yesterday & used a bottle brush also. I'll probably do that every sunday just to keep them clean. During the week I'll just stick to putting alittle white vinegar in the bowl & rinsing it, other than that i'm going to try putting it in the dishwasher.

JimD wrote:
With my bottles it was caused by the black rubber washer in the cap.
I was able to replace them with the washers that are used in garden hoses, and haven't had the "black gunk" problem since.
Ya don't say! Are those hose washers sold seperately anywhere? The buns at the shelter have bottles and it is a pain to wash :(

We use water bottle and really, haven't had an issue with them at all. We fill them up usually every day, if not every other day, and it's more practical to get them used to them since we travel so much. I also find bowls to be extremely messy, we've even tried the ones that attach to the cage and I just didn't care for them.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
I tried the bowl that attaches to the cage, but the cat kept sticking her paw through the bars and into the water, just to play with it. I have since gone with a heavy crock that the cats and bunny can share. The cats also have a water fountain and the bun has a bottle in her house. She seems to drink from both, I guess she doesn't want to leave her house at night to get a drink.
I have heard in the past that cat saliva is toxic to buns. Not sure if it's true.
I prefer the attach on bowls. When I got the bottles, the darn things leaked.
Has anyone else heard this? I really hope it is not true because one of the cats and my rabbit love each other. When she was recovering from her spay he would lick her forehead to make her feel better. Is this dangerous?

Latest posts

Back