Warts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked up "Shope". It does sound like a form of it. Possibly gotten from a
mosquito. Frenchie is outside, a lot, even now.Seems it only takes 3 to 6 days for it to become visible.......now, atleast, I don't feel like such a bad mother. I didn't see anytreatment for it. Said the "warts" should either fall off ordisappear, beginning on day 30. I hope!!! We'll seewhat "Doc" says when the tests come back. Now, I'm feeling upeverybody's ears!!!

:pray:

I can't believe it's a strain of that. Now I hate mosquitos even more! :mad:

Poor Punkin.

Of course you're not a bad mother. Some things just get pasteven the best out there. Don't beat yourself up.

-Carolyn

I don't know how many strains have beenidentified in rabbits, but there are over 30 strains of the papillomavirus in humans.Many of these havedifferent shapes, textures and sizes as well as occuring in differentplaces on or in the body. The pictures that I'veseen of the papilloma virus on the ears and around the eyesofhumans are similar to the photos of Frenchie's ear.

Pam

some forms of shope virus has beenknown to last for up to 2 years before dissapearing just as quickly asit formed. and it can be spread by most any blood sucking vector. ieticks, mosquitos etc

There are also cystic tumors that take on simular shape, we just removed one from Holly's cheek about 2 months ago.

Our thoughts are with you that is is just a benign growth and can beremoved or will dissapear in it's own time. paws crossed for a goodpathology report..

Frenchie went in for his "Lumpectomy" thismorning. He was very brave and didn't flinch, even once, whentwo were removed. He bled, only a little. Theresults should be back "in 4 to 5 days". He came home, tightaway, and he's acting as though nothing happened.Everyone one in the Vets office fell in love with him :inlove:.

Little "Groucho" also went in to have his "lumps":zoro: removed!!! He'll be coming back home thisafternoon.

:pray:

Will pray for a quick and complete recovery forFrenchie andGroucho. Frenchie's so brave andtrusting.

Please let us know how they are getting on, dootsmom.

:kiss:

-Carolyn

Groucho is home. He's behaving asthough nothing happened!!! He's hopping around, eating, anddrinking like normal. We'll see how he feels tomorrow whenthe pain meds wear off!!!

Updates....pleeeeeeze?!?!:ponder:

~Jim

[align=center]Hello all, I thought you shouldknow that one of my rabbits had something similar last summer. We livenear a swamp and so the mosquitos and other bitting insects arenumerous. The lump did fall off, but it never got that big. . We stillhave the rabbit and she's almost six years old now, pretty good for aCalifornian. . . and a brood doe at that. She's not breeding any morethough. . [/align]
[align=center]Kat[/align]

Okay, the results are finally in!Phew!!!! "appears hyperplastic and mildly hyperkeratotic","no evidence of nuclear atypia or pleomorphism", "shows
infiltration of some lymphocytes,heterophils, plasma cells, and occasional
macrophages", "one sample shows well differentiated hytropic-hyperplastic
chrondroid tissue", "chronic hyperplastic otitis-dermatitis with inytadermal
mesenchymal cell proliferation and hypertrophy-hyperplastic cartilage". "No
evidence of malignant cells or microorganisms". "These lesions show features
of extensive reactive-proliferative fibrosis". "Could also represent a benign
regressing lesion of a Shope fibroma associated with Poxvirus".

Sounds perfectly understandable to me!!! He's always had "lumpy" ears so,
he's had "this thing" since a baby....just now coming "to a head". I'm glad it's
not cancer and I'm delighted to say that he's going to be with me, for a long
time.

Er, Dootsmom, do you have that last post translated to English? :D:D

gentle giants wrote:
Er, Dootsmom, do you have that last post translated toEnglish? :D:D

If you break the medical meanings down into prefixes, roots andsuffixes, you can decode the diagnosis into -- "the rabbit has a growthon its ear" LOL

hyperplastic -- refers to the overgrowth/excessformationoftissue (hyper = excess)(plasia = growth)

hyperkeratotic -- excess growth of keratin/thick skin cells

hypertrophy -- trophy refers to shrinkage -- hyper is excess. Excessive shrinkage of certain points of the growth.

extensive reactive-proliferative fibrosis -- excessive fibrous tissue growth

otitis-dermatitis -- refers to skin (derma) of the ear (oto) and itis is inflammation.

chrondroid --chron refers to time- oid refers to like

inytadermal -- I believe that is referring to under the skin (intradermal?)

mesenchymal -- meso = middle, enchyma = cellular tissue

lymphocytes, macrophages -- white blood cells that may indicate the presence of infection.

(Someone can offer corrections if necessary --Iattemptedthis from from memory, so they may not all becorrect)

Pam

Pam.....Thank you soooooooo much!!! Asmy Vet read it to me, I tried to look as though I knew what he wassaying!!! I did understand some of the terms andsaid: "in other words, he has benign growths possibly causedby Shope". He looked at me & nodded!!! Mygoodness, I felt sooooo smart!!! LOL!!!!

The kids have to study medical prefixes,suffixes and roots for school and they like to put different onestogether to make up illnesses. Silly game, but it helps us toremember the terms.

Pam

Latest posts

Back