WARNING: RABBIT TAIL INJURY- Please watch where you step around your bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes. This warning is real. I already spoke to my vet, today, after it happened. Artemis, the rambunctious young rabbit that he is, ran under foot of my husband as he was stepping down and bolted away. We didn't know, at the initial moment, the extent of what damage Artemis sustained, since he began acting normal again. When I went to help fix my mother-in-law's printer for the 400th time, I saw a chunk of his fur on the floor. I immediately picked it up and asked my husband to check Artemis over to make sure he's okay.

Sadly, as the warning suggests, he was not. My husband said he saw blood and came to tell me, wondering what to do. I chose to hold Artemis so my husband could get a better look and became upset. When I looked, I saw the same. We tried reaching out to the emergency vet listed on our vet's website, but the only exotic vet they have wasn't going to be there for a week. So we ended up staying awake almost all night to make sure Artemis was okay and prepare to call our preferred vet in the morning. We were lucky they were willing to squeeze us in because of the situation. They were double booked today (Saturday).

IMG_20230901_223348649_HDR~3.jpgIMG_20230901_223334110~3.jpg

I've been desensitized to images like this, however my husband has not and seeing this truly upset him. Our vet understood what happened and prescribed antibiotics, a cream for the exposed tail tip, and painkillers. We, also, have an appointment set up in two weeks (due to my paycheck restrictions) to have that tip surgically removed so not to risk more harm to him. He, also, suggested this as an option because of how stressed Artemis was at the office today. I would be, too, if I was in the same room as predatory animals.

When I initially called the vet, I wasn't aware my husband had knew what happened. So when the vet rep mentioned it, my automatic response was, "I was hoping he wouldn't hear that", because I knew how upset he already was about the whole thing. We are fortunate that Artemis is acting normal right now, but let this be a serious lesson to all.

Many a time I would think my buns were no where near me, clear across a room. I would think I was safe to take a normal non shuffling step, only to notice at the last second, a bun had zipped across the room right at that moment, and was right under the foot I was about to step down on. They're such quiet and fast little fuzz balls, it can be hard to keep track of where they are.

I love these little outlandish goof balls. But Artemis is more out there than the others. Loki almost got stepped on once and never went underfoot again. Rexy is obvious, as his claws make those pattering sounds on the uncarpeted parts of the house. Same for Xiao Wu. Erlong won't come out of hiding unless she wants food or needs the bathroom.

Artemis seems to be doing a lot better, now. Won't stop running on us in the middle of the night and waking us to show how happy he is. 😂

I don't know what kind of super powers these rabbits have, but when Artemis saw the vet today for degloved portion of the tail, vet said, "I don't need to do anything. Everything looks fine. The skin grew back."
"How?" My husband asks.
"I don't know!"

O.O What in the Wolverine healing factor is this bunny?!

I don't know what kind of super powers these rabbits have, but when Artemis saw the vet today for degloved portion of the tail, vet said, "I don't need to do anything. Everything looks fine. The skin grew back."
"How?" My husband asks.
"I don't know!"

O.O What in the Wolverine healing factor is this bunny?!
Well we are joining you in just being so grateful 🥲
When all is well and there’s no vet bill to pay…I say…you just say thank you very much and you high “tail” it out of there!
I think Artemis is out by the car 🚗 waiting!!👍👍❤️💕👋👋👌🤣🥲🙏

That's fantastic! Rabbits can have amazing regenerative abilities. One of my rabbits had a hole in her head from a burst abscess. As the infection was eliminated, that hole completely filled in and the skin healed over. You couldn't tell at all, that a month before there was a big hole there.

Back