Walking Raisin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raisin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I need some help. My cousin brought me a harness and lead for Raisinand I can put the harness on him(after much trouble, and he'snowokay with it) but when I put the lead on he goesmad! He runs around with the lead tagging behind him and he'sfrightened. It's almost as he thinks the lead is going to catchhim. Please give me some tips on how to make him use to thelead as I know he would love to go outside as he's sitting infront ofthe window all the time.

Thanks

Don't let the leash drag on the ground...Thiswill scare them. Never let go of it as they WILL runaway. Keep it above him...you should always be holdingit. Make sure you practice in the house because this way hecan't get loose. Is the leash heavy? You could trya lighter leash. Good Luck.

Sharon

Hi Sharon

Thanks for the tip. I have not taken him outside, I want himto be comfortable before he goes outside and I want to make sure he'ssafe as well.Just sitting in thelivingroom with him trying to make him at ease in a familiarenviroment. He already tried to get out of the harness buthas not succeded and he tried very hard!

It is a very light leash especially made for rabbits, in South Africawe dont get harnesses or leads for rabbits so my cousin brought it forme from The Netherlands. I will stand up and keep the leash above hishead and see if it works. It took some time for him to get used to theharness as well, so I thought of not pulling or holdingon theleash or anything and just get him used to that aswell, but thanks foryour tip, I will try that soon!

:bunnydance:

my bun, maomaochiu, hates the harness or leashor anything on him that restricts his freedom! he managedeverytime to get out of the harness within 3 minutes, so i have to giveit up...... good luck on your bun!

Hi Raisin,

I'm having a similar problem to you. My rabbit used to be perfectlyharness trained, but I had to take a week off from him due to illness,and now he's quite wary of the harness. But with my rabbit harness, theleash comes attached to the harness. I recommend taking it very easywith him. Some rabbits are just scared of the harness, and don't wantit to come anywhere near you.

If you have a nice sized run, where you can leave him in, sit in therewith him. Place the harness on him, and allow him to run around asusual. Then call him over to you, and sit down with him. Pat him, andcalm him down. Then, once he's calm, clip the leash onto him. Hold itup, so it doesn't drag on his back, then let him hop a few hops, andquickly take the leash off and praise him. Gradually increase the timethe leash is on. Once he's comfortable with it, let him outside for alittle bit, then bring him back inside. Take it all in slow steps, andeventually he should realize that the harness won't hurt him. ;)

I agree with the others that you shouldn't let the leash drag on theground. Once I had my rabbit on the harness at night, and there was aloud bang, and he ran and pulled the leash out of my hand. He got theleash wrapped around his leg and got caught on a hook, and almost torehis leg off trying to get free. It can wasily wrap around their legs ortie them to things. ;)

-Rach & Ollz

I havent had much luck with the harnesses or leashes. I tried a few times, but when my buns seemed scared, I gave up.

Ive heard a lot of stories about rabbits seriously harming themselvesin these leashes. If possible, I would suggest setting up a run outsideand ditching the leash. Besides the potential to break theirneck/leg/etc they can also usually figure a way out of these things.

I definitely prefer a run for my bunnies (and I know they do too).

Good Luck :)

Haley

PS..maomaochiu, glad to see you around! We missed you :)

Thanks u guys, I have tried the harness againand Raisin even did a dead bunny flop with it (okay after I got him outunder the table with a marshmallow) He's fine with it now, so I put onthe harness every day for about 30 min - hour and then take itoff. He's not scared of it anymore so this week I will startwith the leash as well. :elephant:

Haley wrote:
Ihavent had much luck with the harnesses or leashes. I tried a fewtimes, but when my buns seemed scared, I gave up.

Ive heard a lot of stories about rabbits seriously harming themselvesin these leashes. If possible, I would suggest setting up a run outsideand ditching the leash. Besides the potential to break theirneck/leg/etc they can also usually figure a way out of these things.

I definitely prefer a run for my bunnies (and I know they do too).

Good Luck :)

Haley

PS..maomaochiu, glad to see you around! We missed you :)
Thanks, Haley!

well, over the weekend, me and bf worked so hard to set up a out-doorrun for maomaochiu. bf does not like the x-pen idea coz hethinks he can make something better from chicken wires and some pipes(well, that's another story). anyways, after 12 hrs of hardwork, we managed to set upTHE pentagon (4 feet on each side)for maomaochiu and yesterday evening, we put him in there in mybackyard so he can get some fresh air and some real grass.

well, well, little chicken maomaochiu was so terrified, he nibbled onthe grass just a little bit and all the other times, he was trying toget out of the pentagon!!! after 8 moschito bits on me and 2on bf, we decided to move him back inside, and he went directlyunderneath my coutch and in a protest, refused to come out.He was stressed out. Ohhhhhh!!! :X iguess i will just keep him inside......

my buns also get a bit stressed out when they'reoutside. Just try to ease him into it...a few minutes a day etc. Mybuns get better every time.

Also, I noticed that if I had a cover on at least one part of the run(just a blanket or something) they feel a lot safer. They also likewhen I puta cardboard box in there to hide under.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back