Waggin' Tails Ranch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitLover94

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Melani and I live on about 4 and 1/2 acres of land in the rural countryside. Our little ranch got it's name three years ago when my mom got two Golden Retrievers, the first of our many inhabitants,and bought this little bit of land. While at an annual festival for our area, she saw a booth that made signs in under a half hour. She'd always like the name Waggin' Tails Ranch and so she had a sign made to hang on her new property. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Sorry about the long post, but here goes nothing:

The two Goldens, Salty and Sailor, along with 1 Siamese, Snowball; 1 tabby, Molly;2 guinea pigs, Chester and Sammy; and a couple of goldfish, all moved with us to live in the country. Not too muchtime later, we got our first two large animals: a 30 year oldQuarter horsegelding named Big Daddy who is a retired police horse and a 19 year old retired polo-playing Thoroughbrednamed Johnny. Two Arabian crosses named Sandpiper and Cricket soon joined them. Sadly, Sandpiper died last year due to brain cancer.:(

My sister got two Rex rabbits, Black Velvet and Oreoabout this time too. They were our very first bunnies ever. They were supposed to be brothers, but ended up having a litter of eight, three survived and we found homes for them all.My young sister then put them together one day to "play" together, and that resulted in a litter of two, one survived, Duke,but died later due to heart problems. :( Then those two bunnies became mine. Oreo was lost a few months ago when he escaped from his exercise pen. :( I bought Tulip as a show bunny a couple weeks later and bonded her to Black Velvet. Just today, I got a Jersey Wooly buck to show as well.

I got a female guinea pig, Peanut, for my birthday who ended up having gotten pregnant at the petstore. She had a litter of two boys, Mo and Cupid,and a girl, Isabel. Of these, I kept the two boys and found the girl another home. Then Sammy broke into her cage, resulting in a litter of three boys, Butterscotch and Snickers and Houdini,and I kept them all for a few months. My room was so crowded with cages that I gave Peanut, Sammy, Butterscotch, Snickers, Mo, and Cupid to my friend and kept Chester and Houdini.

After that, I adopted a Chihuahua/ Miniature Pinscher mix from the shelter and named him Sam, after the guinea pig. He wasn't even housebroken and didn't know how to walk on a leash even though he was 1 1/2 years old. He's now housebroken and knows 39 verbal and hand commands. My sister found a Dachshund mix puppy whom she named Rodeo. He became very attached to me and, so, now he's mine. He also knows several tricks. We still have Salty and Sailor too.

We added some outdoor cats to take care of the rodent problem. First we got a neutered male black cat named Romeo and his spayed sister named Roxy.Then got two other females, Smokey and Missy. Due to the neighbor's cats, one had a litter of five, one male and 4 females, and the other had a litter of two, 1 female and 1 male. We lost Roxy, then Missy, Smokey, Alley, Natasha, Bo, and Romeo. :( :( Poor kitties!:(

I bought a pygmy goat wether, Faithful Farms Alexander the Great or "Alex",to show and then a doe, Mystified Pygmies Midnight or "Midnight",the year after.

Above my guinea pig's cage, I have two female mice named Selena and Luna.

I also have a chinchilla who had five other homes before he came to me. His name is Vinnie and he's two years old.

So the current residents at our ranch are:

Horses: Big Daddy, a 33 year old Quarter horse gelding; Cricket, a 25 year old Arabian croos gelding; and Johnny, a 22 year old Thoroughbred gelding

Pygmy Goats: Faithful Farms Alexander the Great or "Alex", a 1 year old black agouti wether; and Mystified Pygmies Midnight or "Midnight", a 1 year old black doe

Dogs: Salty and Sailor, 7 year old male Golden Retrievers; Sam, a 2 year old male Chihuahua/ Miniature Pinscher mix; and Rodeo, a 10 month old male Dachshund mix

Cats: Molly, an 8 year old female gray tabby; Snowball, an 8 year old female siamese; Elsa, a 1 1/2 year old female calico; Delilah, a 1 1/2 year old female tortoiseshell; Angel, a 1 year old female silver tabby; and Eros, a 1 year old male silver tabby

Guinea Pigs: Chester, a 4 year old long-haired male; and Houdini, a 2 year old male Abbysinian

Chinchilla: Vinnie, a 2 year old male gray chinchilla

Mice: Selena, a 2 year old female gray fancy mouse; and Luna, a black and white female fancy mouse

Fish: 5 common goldfish and 1 Sarasa Comet seperated into several tanks

Rabbits!: Black Velvet, a 3 year old black Rex doe; Hope's HH4 or "Tulip", a 3 month old broken black chinchilla Mini Lop doe; and LeSage's Piano Man or "Pie", a 5 month old siamese sable Jersey Wooly buck.

Whew! Glad that's over! Super-long post!:DBut I can't wait to get back on tomorrow and update and post pictures!

The sign that started it all!

100_0642.jpg

Big Daddy

100_0636.jpg

Johnny

100_0637.jpg

Cricket

100_0641.jpg

Alex and Midnight

100_0629.jpg

Molly

100_0614.jpg

Snowball

100_0613.jpg

Elsa

100_0623.jpg

Delilah

100_0620.jpg

Angel

100_0622.jpg

Eros (This is as close as I could get to him)

100_0624.jpg

Chester

000_0080.jpg

Houdini

IMG_0079.jpg

Sam and Rodeo

IMG_0004.jpg

Salty and Sailor

000_0040-1.jpg

Vinnie

IMG_0076.jpg

Black Velvet

100_0566.jpg

Tulip

100_0575.jpg

Pie

100_0598.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot! My little lamb for the fair! :DHis name is Lamb Chop:D and he was sold at auction to a family that're going to keep him as a pet:biggrin2:! :DHe got 2nd place at the fair and 5th in the Kern Bred and Fed class!

Well, today I cleaned the goat pen and rabbit cages. Everyone is rearranging their toys how they like them right now. :) I bought brand new toys for them today at petsmart and the buns are going nuts over them. I'm not sure they'll last very long! lol!

Great little farm! My boyfriend has a 4 year old Belgium Draft, 16 year old Welsh Pony, and 2 Paints who are 12 and 8. I love getting to know the horses. His Belgium looks like your Quarter :)

Too bad about all those accidental breedings, espcially the rabbit inbreeding :(

Well good luck at the show!

Thanks! It's not such a nice place now since we had snow on Monday and rain for a few days after that. The sky is gray and the horse pasture and goat pen are mudholes. I raked old hay out of the goat pen yesterday and it smelt terrible! The goats have been spending all their time in that shelter so it was filthy. Plus, the rain managed to get to some of the hay and we lost two bales because of the dampness. Later today, I have to go dump all that old hay, but for now, I think I'll enjoy this hot chocolate for a little while longer.

The rabbits haven't noticed the bad weather since they have the nice, temperaure-controlled house. Spoiled buns!

*Sigh* Today was yet another cage cleaning day. The guinea pigs, mice, and chinchilla all got their bedding changed. Tomorrow it's the rabbits' turn...

you live my dream life :)

Do you do anything with your horses or are they just trail riding horses now?

fuzz16: The horses don't get ridden. They are all retired and have bad backs. Children can ride Cricket but no one heavier. Johnny's too spastic to be ridden and Big Daddy is WAY to frail. But we love them all anyway!

My female pygmy goat will be bred in 3 weeks and the babies will be born in June!

Ok, today was a VERY busy day. I woke up at 5am to take care of the animals, left for a rabbit show at 6:30am, got to the show at 7:30am and then didn't get home till 6:30pm! Anyway, here are the results:
Show A-
Tulip (Mini Lop)- placed 3rd out of 4 rabbits in Junior Broken Mini Lop Does and 1st out of 2 rabbits in Mini Lop Fur.
LeSage's Piano Man (Jersey Wooly)- placed 1st out of 1 rabbit in Senior Shaded Jersey Wooly bucks(BOV) and 1st out of 1 rabbit in Jersey Wooly Fur.

Mini Lop Specialty Show-Tulip- placed 4th out of 4 rabbits in Junior Broken Mini Lop Does.

Show B- Tulip- placed 4th out of 4 rabbits in Junior Broken Mini Lop Does and 1st out of 1 rabbit in Mini LopFur.LeSage's Piano Man- placed1st out of 1 rabbit in Jersey Wooly Fur but then shocked me by winning BOV and Best of Breed! However, he didn't getBest in Show but he did compete for it.

Wow your place sounds like so much fun!! I would love to have 4 acres and my own horse; esp. on my own property! I do ride, but not often.

Your horses are very pretty! :)

Tulip is soo cute!! Mini Lops are one of my favorite breeds. :)

Look forward to more pictures and blog updates! :)
Emily

have you thought about getting a rideable horse to add around there? If you could afford it there are a lot of horses out there for CHEAP that need good homes.

We can't afford to feed any more horses right now. But when these old boys go to the bridge =( I think we'll get some that we can ride. We got really lucky with them since they were all free!

Rabbit Show in Bakersfield on January 30th! I am definately going!

Ewww. It's raining again today...I cleaned the cages inside instead of the goat pen outside which was what I'd planned. Oh well, they'll get it cleaned tomorrow then.

I've been feeding a friend's animals lately, and she has a TON of pets! I have to feed and water 3 Nubian goats, 6 Nigerian Dwarf goats, about 10 pigeons, about 6 doves, 5 chickens, 5 Fuzzy Lops, 8 cats, 5 sugar gliders, and 1 ferret! Luckily, I don't have to clean up after them too!

Happy New years everybody!

It's been two weeks since it last rained but now there's yet another storm here. Rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Goat pen got cleaned yesterday and rabbit, gunea pigs, and mice got cleaned today. Pygmy doe was bred on January 5th and I'll know if she's pregnant in about a week. Cute little babies are hopefully on the way! I've been getting the Jersey Wooly's wool up to show condition and he's looking really good! I'll be posting pictures tomorrow of his handsome coat!
Yesterday, the buns had a nice run in the outside pen and I went on a long hike with the 4 dogs. They got to be off leash since we were on the side of a mountain with a clear view all around and no roads. The little pup got to run around too and is beginning to earn my trust of his behavior off leash. A friend with her Chocolate lab, Ponka, also came along and the dogs definately had a great time exploring! I hope everyone's having a good day!

Went to a show on January 30th! Here are the results!
Show A-
Tulip- 3rd of 4 rabbits in Mini Lop fur and 3rd of 3 rabbits in Jr. Broken Doe.
Pie- 1st of 1 rabbit in Jersey Wooly fur and 1st of 1 rabbit in Sr. Shaded Buck.

Show B-
Tulip- 2nd of 2 rabbits in Mini Lop fur and 1st of 3 rabbits in Jr. Broken Doe.
Pie- 1st of 1 rabbit in Jersey Wooly fur and 1st of 1 rabbit in Sr. Shaded Buck. Also got Best of Group out of 3 rabbits and Best Opposite Sex of Breed out of 4 bucks!

Big Daddy, the ancient Quarter Horse, has passed away. =( He will be sorely missed, but at least he's free of pain and is able to run and play like the colt he always was at heart. Rest in peace old buddy.

Also, I noticed that I neglected to come on for a while and didn't post the passing of several other family members. It's so hard when so many go at the same time! =(

Lady, my dad's very elderly Rottweiler, passed away a few weeks ago from old age just like Big Daddy. Also, Snowball, the Siamese, was put to sleep a few week ago due to an unhealing wound. She'd injured a tendon in her leg and then started chewing on her foot. She ate off her claws and two of her toes. After wrapping the foot and treating it, the leg started to rot from the inside. An infection hd gotten to the wound before we had. There was nothing left but amputation, but we felt that the bestt option was to put her to sleep. She was terrible when anything the least bit traumatic happened, and, if she'd had the leg amputated, she would most ikely have shewed the stump lke she'd chewed the toes. She's now pain-free and her grave is on our hill, right at her favorite sunbathing spot. Rest in peace and pain-free Big Daddy, Lady, and Snowball.

Latest posts

Back