Wabbitdads Wabbit Herd 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
January 1, 2009

Well I am not sure whether to continue with this blog or create a new one for 2009.

Last night before my wife and I left for her sisters to bring in the New Years, I thought well I better take of the buns now and I won't have to do it when we get back (not knowing what time that would be). I am glad I did, my brother and sister n law introduced us to Mexican Train dominoes. We played it until 3am this morning and got home around 4am. I haven't stayed out that late in years!

I think the bunny's were happy that I fed them before I left though, it would only have been 8 hours past their normal supper time!

Here is the link to the herds 2008 blog:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31647&forum_id=6&page=1

th_Velvet23-9-08.jpg

Velvet has been having some trouble lately and money has been tight. Its going to be even tighter because Karen aka Wabbitmom12 lost her job just before Christmas. Hey thanks, Merry Christmas and by the way the company is closing its doors December 31st!.

Anyway, I have now gotten some Pen-G and some needles. It turns out that you cannot return insulin needles, so Iwent to CVS Pharmacy long after I wanted to go outlast night, to get a bigger syringe and larger needle for Velvet. I told the pharmacist my dilemma, he found the 25 gauge needle the same I've used in the past on Barney. He sold me 40 for half price, turns out he likes furry creatures like rabbits.

I have kept the Pen-G refrigerated just like it was at TSC. I managed to get 2cc's into a syringe and like the directions said I let it warm up. I then went to inject it into Velvet and the syringe plunger would not budge! I pulled it out of Velvet and tried to push on it and it still wouldn't budge, so I put a little more force on the plunger and it shot the needle right off of the syringe and the Pen-G in a line across the floor of my living room and ontoKaren's picture of a snowman, which had some extra white dots on it now. The needle ricochet off my desk and landed somewhere in front of the TV (I eventually found it). I think its something to do with the syringe type. There were some 1 ml needles in the box and the needle was just pushed on the end and not screwed on and those worked fine.

My question is this, is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Obviously this is my first experience with Pen-G and so far things are not going as planned (Dave's version Murphy law).

Many of you have probably seen the game Raving Rabbids (rabbits) game for the Wii. I just got the first one today, hope to get Raving Rabbids 2 for my b-day. The game's premise is the rabbits rise up to take over the world and you play as a character captured on the first day by the rabbits.

The game is hilarious! If you have a chance to play it you will become addicted.

Just another reminder to keep an eye our bunny's!

I forgot to mention this when I was on earlier.

I went to clean rabbit cages Saturday and when I got to Thumpers, I pulled out his shredded phone book and then I looked for his toys. I had placed a box in his cage earlier in the week for him to chew on and it has a lid that is attached to one side so it closes over the contents. I opened the box and he had placed all his toys in that cardboard box.

I guess that is his little toy box. A well organized bunny!

Success! I got some larger needles and was able to give Velvet her shot. She wasn't too pleased with me afterwards, but in a few moments I am going to give her an extra craisin for her shot.

Carmel was a naughty boy last night/this morning. It got a hold of the curtain next to his cage and pulled it in and chewed a couple of nice holes in it. Evidently, blue cloth is very tasty.

Note to self, make sure your daughter or wife is not logged in before posting!-Wabbitdad12

I am amazed! I am in shock!:shock:

Velvet has had two shots and the results are amazing! Her eyes have cleared up and no giant bunny boogers today! I hope this continues she looks so much better then she did on Saturday. I wish I had taken before pictures.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I am amazed! I am in shock!:shock:

Velvet has had two shots and the results are amazing! Her eyes have cleared up and no giant bunny boogers today! I hope this continues she looks so much better then she did on Saturday. I wish I had taken before pictures.

Woohoo! That's really great news...here's to Velvet's continued progress! :hug:

Glad you're a Raving Rabbids fan now, Dave! I've been addicted for a few years...
If you get the Raving Rabbids TV party, you can go down snow slides on your butt!
I like the one in RR I where you get to close the cabana doors while the rabbids are changing. Gotta love getting shot in the head with a plunger!
Never fails to make my day!

I'm pleased to read that Velvet is improving :)

Autumn

I was relieved Sunday night regarding Velvet that maybe she was weak, but my concerns were put to rest when Charlie (55 pound lap dog Pointer/Springer Spaniel mix) walked near Velvet and she promptly grunted and charged at him, forcing Charlie to run into the dining room.

I realized Velvet was still in charge of the house!

Thanks Jan, yeah poor Charlie knows the buns are higher in the pack order them he is.

Tonight was cage cleaning night for the herd. When I finally got to Carmel's and Titan cages I let them both out while I work on some more. They get along well and Titan is just such a relax guy.

The two of them went their separate ways and explored the bunny room and chinned everything they could and everything the other had. Finally, little Carmel comes up behind Titan and tries to mount him. Titan just hops away, but Carmel would leave him alone. Titan never turned around and tried to fight he just hopped away, still Carmel would leave him alone so Titan takes a big leap across the room. Carmel sat for a moment and then hopped towards poor Titan again. At this point Titan must have had enough and made a bee line to his cage.

Once again, I don't think the smaller breeds know they are the smaller buns. Its not size that counts it bunattitude!

That Velvet chase reminded me of a Holland Lop we had (years ago) named Hershey. He was the best escape artist (luckily we had a fenced in yard at the time) and his favorite game was to chase our Basset Hound, Emily, who had no idea her ancestors may have hunted rabbits.

Hershey first decided to mount Emily when she was minding her own business... she was horrified and used to bolt for our patio, where Hershey could not go (or chose not to go so as not to really offend Emily).

You have to love the crazy stuff our animals do. I loveyour blog - I hope Karen can find a new job (I was laid off prior to Christmas some years ago but was hired in the best job I have had and have been here for 4+ years)- I hope that when one door closes, another opens for her.

Denise

While sitting on my couch trying to win World War II via Xbox, Rudy was not at helpfull.

I don't have all the commands memorized so occasionally I would have to refer back to the instructions. While trying to complete my objective Rudy was tossing the plastic game box on the floor and also the remote. I would pause the game put them back up on the couch next to me and he would hop down, pick them up and throw them back on the floor. He would then go to the other end of the couch and plop down and watch, as soon as I put the box and remote back on the couch here he would come again and toss them on the floor.

He wouldn't stick around to get petted he would hop away as if to say "my work here is done", I eventually had to let the Germans win the battle and stop the game until Rudy decided he wanted to hop back to his humble abode.

This morning while filling water bottles in the kitchen, I had left Rudys cage door open to let him have some free time before I had to leave to take my daughter to school and myself to work.

While at the kitchen sink filling water bottles, I had this feeling I was being watched. I turned around and there was Rudy in the dining room, head stretched out watching me. Once I had the last water bottle done and placed in the little tub I use to carry them, he hopped back down the hallway and into his cage. I felt happy knowing that I had his seal of approval on my task.

I have been evaluated many times in my life, but Rudy must have had complaints so he had to inspect my work to let the rest of the herd know I was doing it right. Whew! I hate that kind of stress so early in the morning!;)

to comment on syringes: 25ga is a pretty small needle. Pen G is usually a pretty thick liquid, so it probably won't go smoothly through such a small needle. I bet the insulin syringes have a larger gauge (smaller number = larger gauge, that always confuses me!!).

Should I get the Rabbids for wii? My favorite game on wii is the cow racing in Wii Play.:biggrin2:

tonyshuman wrote:
to comment on syringes: 25ga is a pretty small needle. Pen G is usually a pretty thick liquid, so it probably won't go smoothly through such a small needle. I bet the insulin syringes have a larger gauge (smaller number = larger gauge, that always confuses me!!).

Should I get the Rabbids for wii? My favorite game on wii is the cow racing in Wii Play.:biggrin2:

The insulin syringes I got were too small, 31gauge, I gave those to my father-n-law. He is diabetic and he can use them. I got 20 gauge needles from my vet and those are working well.

Definitely get the Raving Rabbids for wii! If you like riding cows, you will like tossing cows and riding pigs! and filling advancing herds of rabbits swimming goggles with carrot juice to keep them away. :biggrin2:

Velvet seems to be making progress everytime I see her. Last night while trying to give her a shot, she displayed her bunnytude!, more like her old self. When I gave her the first shot, she just sat there didn't move, last night she would sit still! After the shot I got this "I'll get even with you later!" look.

Latest posts

Back