Vienna marked Tort

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myLoki

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a Vienna marked Tort? If so, anyone have any pictures? I'm just curious about what it looks like and if it's even a possible color. :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

t.:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Yes, it is possible to have a vienna marked tort. I don't have any photos of any right off - but it is possible.

Peg

A veinna tort would be a dream :inlove:. I love torties and vienna markings. I saw some at the local fair this year, being sold.

This is actually a vienna marked harlequin from Buffalo Creek - but at first look I was thinking it was tort..

I know! I love both torts and the vienna markings! haha! That's why I asked. Such cuties!

t.:biggrin2:

undergunfire wrote:
A veinna tort would be a dream :inlove:. I love torties and vienna markings. I saw some at the local fair this year, being sold.

Ok, I have to say I'm not sure what vienna markings look like. Is that sort of white triangle on the faceand the white feet what that means?

Maybe they have blue eyes if the white part covers the eyes?

Are Nigel and Potter actually related? They're from the same shelter and they could be twins.

naturestee wrote:
Are Nigel and Potter actually related? They're from the same shelter and they could be twins.
Well, its mostly a joke, but Julie and I have talked about this possibility- especially since Michael (now at Midwest) was pulled out of there as well and identical to them too. We're thinking some crappy dutch breeder out there might not be screening well (or is selling to pet stores)..

Could be. I know there's some jerk around here selling lionheads (mostly teddy style) to all the local pet stores. I've been told he/she is local but they won't say who. I've had to have a talk with the store managers before because their fur got all matted. No surprise there have been lionheads showing up at the Humane Society.:grumpy:

I've met the only ARBA lionhead breeder around here, he wouldn't do that to his babies and I don't think he does the colors I've seen anyway.

naturestee wrote:
Could be. I know there's some jerk around here selling lionheads (mostly teddy style) to all the local pet stores. I've been told he/she is local but they won't say who. I've had to have a talk with the store managers before because their fur got all matted. No surprise there have been lionheads showing up at the Humane Society.:grumpy:

I've met the only ARBA lionhead breeder around here, he wouldn't do that to his babies and I don't think he does the colors I've seen anyway.

If I remember correctly, from Peg's teachings, I don't think vienna markings are wanted in your lines. Most breeder's don't want the markings because they aren't showable.

Am I correct, Peg :huh?

Vienna markings and Vienna carriers are VERY desireable in your herd.....IF....you are breeding Blue Eyed Whites. They are also acceptable if you're breeding pets.

Otherwise...if you are breeding for show quality rabbit or to sell rabbits to other breeders - any rabbits that are vienna marked or vienna carriers (which means they might not show the markings but they might carry the gene based on their parents/grandparents) should not be bred.

Personally, I love the vienna marked rabbits..

Peg

Badger is a vienna bunny and he has beautiful markings. He doesn't have blue eyes, his are brown.

I have a vienna related question though, to hijack the thread, can you get the markings anywhere on the body? or just over the nose, neck and feet?

My electric has been out for almost four hours....so I'm going to share links vs. actual information (with maybe a bit of copy and paste).

From http://www.psci.net/haencaoo/bew.html

The Vienna gene, which makes BEW, is not one of the five major color genes, and acts differently than the other genes. A BEW, bred to any other color, including ruby-eyed white, will produce colored rabbits the first generation. These are sometimes called "Dutch marked," because they almost always have some white on them, in the same pattern arrangement as a non show quality Dutch breed rabbit. Most have a white blaze or spot on the forehead and/or nose. Some have one or two white feet. I have even had a few with more white than color. A few may even have a pretty good Dutch breed pattern, even though the Vienna gene has no relationship to the dutch gene at all.

and from http://www.welshrabbitry.com/rabbitfaq.html#vienna

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The Vienna gene (sometimes called the Sport gene) can cause a white stripe on the rabbits body. Typically it runs down the face. It can also show up as different degrees of white markings in the rabbit's coat, other mismarks and white toenails in your dilutes. Some people want the gene, and others do not. This gene (v) can be present if there are blue eyed whites in the rabbit's line. It is something that should be noted to the person purchasing the rabbit in case they do not want the gene present.

and finally you can check out here:

http://www.freewebs.com/olddixierabbitry/viennagene.htm

Peg

[/font]

Latest posts

Back