Vet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xila

Reaction score
(Mods, I wasn't sure where to put this. =/ Feel free to move.)

http://www.drkreger.com

I'm thinking if going to this vet. Could you look over her site and tell me if you see any huge flaws or anything? Everyone who signed the guestbook either talked about how great the SITE was(not the clinic itself), or talked about their cat or dog.

Be sure to look over her pet care sheets, too. =/

Why not find a rabbit savvy vet? Dr. Kreger isn't on the Savvy vet's list, but I think it's becasue nobody has heard of it. =/ The closest RS vet to Wellsboro is over 2 hours away, and doesn't even sound that good!

So anyway, just look over the site. If you think it's plagerized, tell me. ^^ That's a sure sign she doesn't know too much about rabbits if she has to plagerize articles. You can also email her.

I have to go to school now, but I'll come home and check the board when I get back.

NZminilops wrote:
Looks pretty good to me so far, I haven't had time to read the entire rabbit care section but they seem to know their stuff.

Thanks. ^^ I'm still leaving the thread open, though. Just so more people can look over it.

Not particularly impressed with their diet recommendations, they give a very small list of veggies, and claim cereal and bread is good ?!? Although they do say in small amounts.
And I'd really like to know where this bit of info comes from: "but light greens, such as iceberg lettuce, can cause carbon dioxiode gas bubbles in their dietary tracts that can lead to their early death." ??
I have never heard this or read this anywhere else.
The rest of their info looks pretty much just like the standard info you can find most places.
Though they do seem to know that rabbits don't need to fast before surgery, which is a good thing.
Do you know anyone who has rabbits and has used their services? Are they on the HRS list of recommended rabbit vets? I'd look into this to know more.
There's also a "list of questions when choosing a vet" on the HRS page. Maybe you can visit and ask them some of those questions, and see what they say.

I actually like them!

They seem to know their stuff. First thing I noticed was they didn't classify rabbits under rodents- yes, i've seen a vet do that!

They are really into good housing, spaying and neutering, and know not to hold food back before surgery.

Maybe you could bring BunBun in there for a nail clipping, or just a general checkup to get the feel of the place. I sometimes do that. It shouldn't cost much, and will help you alot. Be sure to ask alot of questions.

Also giving them a call is a good idea :D.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
And I'd really like to know where this bit of info comes from: "but light greens, such as iceberg lettuce, can cause carbon dioxiode gas bubbles in their dietary tracts that can lead to their early death." ??
I have never heard this or read this anywhere else.

Very wordy explanation:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=303763

Somewhat easier to understand (world of the body - carbon dioxide):

http://www.answers.com/topic/carbon-dioxide?cat=technology

Pretty much to sum it up, watery greens are more likely to ferment in the rabbits system, which *could* lead to a buildup of carbon dioxide in the body.. that could have effects leading as far as death.

Quite a long stretch - maybe a more severe scare tactic than "iceburg lettuce isn't good for rabbits because it has little dietary value and can cause loose/bad stool".

None of those "explanations" mention anywhere the formation of carbon dioxide gas bubbles in the dietary tracts though.
Maybe because carbon dioxide ISN"T formed there?
If you study the digestion of food, and even if you read the articles on carbon dioxide you refer to, you find that carbon dioxide is formed in a process known as "celular respiration", i.e. it occurs in the cells of the body, AFTER the food products have been broken down in the GI tract, and been transported via the bloodstream to the cells of the body.
There's a HUGE difference here.

I can see where there might be a misunderstanding, because CO2 gas is formed during the FERMENTATION ("The decay (slow oxidation) of all organic materials, producing CO2.") of food, but that has to happen slowly, in an oxygen rich environment. I suppose that MIGHT maybe happen if food stays in the intestine for a long time, but that certainly is NOT a normal occurance.

The regular digestive proces occurs through "anaerobic" (non-oxygen using) bacteria, and the gases formed are mainly hydrogen sulfide, methane, and nitrogen.

Maybe they should have just stuck to "Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value and can cause loose stools."

Especially since ALL foods produce these same gasses/byproducts, just wondering why single out Iceberg lettuce and other "light colored lettuce"?

Back