Very upset, my old doe is a new MUM

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofelia

Reaction score
Now I have had a catch 22 situation, Timmy was too old to spay and yet still able to get pregnant. Of course since I had no males that are not desexed AND there is little or no contact between sets of rabbits that are not bonded, I thought I had a zero chance of Timmy having a litter.

Timmy is my baby baby, she and I have a wonderful relationship and she lives with Slipper who is around 13 years old and has been neutered like forever it seems. Well, its not MyLoveables fault (another member who is my friend) but it turns out that one of the little bunnies (Toula and Lou) she returned to me was in fact a boy. The boy had been diagnosed a girl many many times over by vets!!

Its not anyone's fault really. I have been meaning to get them spayed but more important health issues had to be paid for first.

Slipper had a tooth operation.
Bugsy had a huge amount of testing done to confirm his condition.
Jazz got spayed as she was reaching middle age and it was more of a pririty than the much younger Toula and Lou (8 months old).
Timmy had a nasty chest infection.
Rupert had an eye infection.
Angel got spayed.

As you can my vet bills got out of control and I never though tto get Toula and Lou spayed just yet.

This morning I check on my special old girl, now 7 years old and there are 3 live kits and 3 dead kits, it looks as if she had them on the wire and at the last minute built a nest for the 3 that survived. The deceased kits looked very healthy otherwise and seemed to have died of exposure even though it was a warm night and the hutch is super cosy and packed with hay and lined too.

Timmy's chest infections have meant that she is constantly monitored and not at all a suitable candidate for an anaesthetic and a spay.

It is only possible that Lou had a brief encounter with Timmy when I was cleaning the pens and Lou sneaked through an opening and jumped into Timmy pen. I vaguely remember something like this happening around a month ago.

It is very upsetting. I have just returned from the vets with Timmy and he was not too pleased either.
I feel irresponsible and quite down about this. The 3 kits are okay. Timmy cleared a health check and is eating and drinking LOTS and LOTS.

So I suppose its not all doom and gloom.
Poor Timmy though, its so unfair.

Ofelia ,

I'm sorry that this happened but don't blame your self so; we all have a lapse of judgement occasionally. Right now it's most important to take care of Timmy and the kits and since the rabbitry is best at dealing with moms and babies I'm going to move this to the rabbitry . Good luck!
Maureen

Hi all you breeders,

I need some advice on how to best take care of my old doe Timmy, she is over 7 and I want to know her nutritional requirements etc
She has a constant supply of excellent quality pellets, hay, fresh clean grass, the odd apple and carrot slices (she got some this morning as a bit of a congratulations even under the circumstances), raisins and grapes every so often and baiscally normal bunner food.
She has had a full vet check about 4 hours after the litter was born, the vet checked and confirmed that there are no more babies to come.

Timmy is my baby, I love her so much and now she has the extra pressure of nursing these kits.

I almost wish I could give the kits away to another nursing doe to relieve Timmy but she actually seems happy.

Lisa!
First of: Sorry to hear about Timmy, and i hope the kits are ok, it just doesnt make sense.. I've taken my bunners (well not relly mine anymore sad to say) to the vet around 3 timew while they were with me.. the vet always said both of them were girls.. i guess.. Lou is just "shy" ...

Second of all..: IM GLAD YOUR INTERNET IS BACK :D

Keep us updated!

x

Sounds like Timmy is doing a great job :) and she certainly sounds happy and perky enough. You can up her pellet intake as she will need more food as she is feeding the little ones and also be prepared for her to drink more water too. As for the veg thats great they seem to love their veg even more when they have a litter.

Keep going you are doign great :D

Timmy is doing fine, one of the cute little critters is hanging on for dear life once Timmy has decided she has finished nursing! She walks away and the biggest of the babies is still attached to the nipple. He or she then falls off and gets dumped out the nest and I have to return him/her.

Weird but has gotten a few laughs so far. Checked Timmy's nipples, no sign of damage or infection or cracking etc so she just ignores the baby and goes to her food bowls.

Lou is a little boy, thats all, the cleverest little trickster, it took a fellow rescue friend of mine to finally get it!! Lou is a boy!!

Toula and Lu started fighting a while back and have been separated so hopefully no more pregnant does for us.

The babies are all black and Timmy is white so I guess its all starting to make sense. There is simply no other way poor Tim ended up with 3 little black babies which are already starting to look a lot like Lou!!! ;)

Oh and I have had Lou and Toula for ages now, MyLoveables had to return them to me, I have the Mum, Jazz a black beauty who was very pleased her daughters were returned or rather one daughter, Lou does not like anyone else's company except for Rupert.

Oh okay lol... I didnt know that you had them now, as i was looking through te NIC cage photos and saw the really nice photos of her cage and her buns and just though she still had them.

Hope all is well with your buns!

I miss them lots and tots...

Im quite surprised Toula isnt preggers though..

I cant imagine hwat baby Lou looks like...?

-sigh-

How's timmy and the babies today?

Glad to hear everything's going well :)

Do we get pics?

Lol, at least Lou can be a girl or boy name :D

How long did you have Toula and Lou Prisca?

Everyone is doing really well,

gotta go though, its feeding rounds again ...sigh ;)

If dial up lets me I will put pics up asap. The babies all look exactly like Lou.

As far as nutrition, make sure she is getting plenty of protein. What protein % do her pellets have? And with her age, (unless she has had urinary trouble in the past) I would give her a calcium boost as well, just because having a litter takes a lot of calcium out of even a healthy young doe. You can give her a Tums tablet...I am pretty sure you have those there, but I don't know what they are called. Mabye MyLoveables would know?

You have gotten excellent advice. I free feed all my does with kits. I know lots of older does that do just fine with a litter. (Sorry Lou got whacked by the Gender Fairy! it happens....)

As Gentle Giants said, make sure she is on a good protein level (I prefer an alfalfa pellet of 16-17%). You may want to make up some kind of Nestbox to contain the babies for now. Otherwise your biggest "little critter" may get to far away and chill.

Keep any eye on her nipples and make sure the babies look plump. Best of luck with them. I'll bet this will be a most special litter to you...

WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :p

who is Lou currently with?
how are the bubba's and Mommy today?

Wish you best of luck.

x

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Me thinks u need to go over this weekend and get those PHOTO'S :p

MYL
OVEABLES!! wrote:
WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :p

who is Lou currently with?
how are the bubba's and Mommy today?

Wish you best of luck.

x

I think so too :D

IF she hasnt already done so make a proper nest, a box full of straw is ideal and ensure any fur she pulled lines the nest and also is on top of the kits. JUst handle the kits daily to ensure they are warm and their bellies are full.

Latest posts

Back