Very Timid PEW...help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottageBuns

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a small lion head white bun with pink eyes (Mr Bunny). I inherited him about a year ago and when I first had him he seemed quite docile, quite timid, not overly friendly , but would tolerate me picking him, cuddling him...hanging out with him, but he would never eat from my hand and would often tremble. I thought he was lonely so have bonded him ( successfully) with a lovely little grey (english blue markings) lion head (Violet), and it seems that although they are very happy together, grooming, sharing food, lying around with each other, he has become more and more terrified of me interacting with him. Is this normal?

Very timid/nervy rabbits can be more difficult to earn their trust, but it can be done, just takes a lot of patience, time, and effort. These types of rabbits tend to respond very negatively to forced interaction such as picking them up or petting them when they haven't requested petting. And doing these things can just make them more timid and scared of you(the owner). I have a few suggestions that may help.

Never pick this bun up unless absolutely necessary, such as for nail trims. And even then I would try and have it so someone else does the trim(such as a vet) so that the rabbit wouldn't form that negative association with you as the primary caretaker.

I would also try and spend as much time with this bun without initiating any contact initially, just sitting and reading or working on my tablet/laptop, and essentially ignoring the rabbit. Then as the bun gains confidence and starts approaching me, at first I wouldn't do anything but just let the bun sniff me. After a while and it seems more comfortable around me, I would very slowly put my hand out when it approached and let it sniff my hand without me actually touching or petting. Gradually you can then work up to gentle nose/head rubs. The key is to give this bunny the space and time it needs to gain confidence that you don't mean any harm and that it is safe around you. This is usually a very gradual and slow process, but very rewarding once you are able to gain their trust.

I would also suggest keeping the bunnies companion with it to help it feel more comfortable. But you also have to kind of read the situation and if having it's companion around seems to make it more difficult to bond with the timid bun, I might try a few times where it is just the timid bun and me for a little bit, to see if that helps at all. If the rabbits are in a large room, I would suggest doing this bonding time in a smaller room or setting up a playpen, somehow herding them in so as to avoid picking the bunny up. The smaller space is important because if the bunny can just run and hide, it won't help the bonding process with you. This is similar to what you would do to bond two rabbits together, but instead it is bonding you and the bunny.

You may also want to read through these links. The first two have tips on bonding with your bun, the other is to help better understand how rabbits communicate.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/building-a-relationship-with-your-rabbit/
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Thank you so much, I shall certainly try all that you suggest. My buns are, however outside rabbits at the moment as I am trying to get my partner to understand that they need to be in
the the house, but he is not keen. Would bringing my timid bun inside cause him more stress? should I do the bonding outside? i can sit in their run, it is massive ...perhaps that would be a better move? Am worried I will never gain his trust again :(

My buns are, however outside rabbits at the moment as I am trying to get my partner to understand that they need to be in the the house, but he is not keen. Would bringing my timid bun inside cause him more stress? should I do the bonding outside? :(

Bringing him indoors occasionally just to have sitting sessions with him would likely stress him. However bringing both rabbits indoors for permanent housing would be a better way.

If you move both rabbits indoors, then you could do the bonding as Jenny suggested -- sitting in a limited area with them. In a situation like this, the bolder bunny can actually help the timid one. I'll attach a photo example of a of a human bonding with two rabbits. Note the enclosed space and other items there for exploring. I'm just sitting and ignoring at this stage so that bunnies can realize I'm no threat.

As for showing your partner how rabbits can live indoors, my website might be helpful.

100_7766.jpg

Back