Very Soft Cecals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlee

Reaction score
My wooly jersey rabbit just turned 13 months old. For a while now his cecals have very soft - like tooth paste. It doesn't happen everyday - more like every 3 days oronce week - he will have a mess in his cage.

Is this normal? He only eats Purina Show pellets and Timothy Hay. He is a house rabbit - doesn't go outside.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem?

Thanks

Are you free-feeding the pellets? His diet may be a bit too rich now that he's an adult. Being a Jersey Wooly, he does need higher protein than the average rabbit, but he could be getting too much. I'd encourage more hay, fewer pellets, especially if he isn't a show bunny.

sas :bunnydance:

THANKS for answering me so fast!

Yes, I have been just filling his feed bowl whenever it gets low. I've been doing this since he was a baby.I had asked the lady that sold him to me about feed and she said to continue it because his hair is so long.

I'm not sure how much he weighs. Not very much - it would take a baby scale to weigh him. Iwould guessa pound maybe alittle more.He gets no sweets to make him fat.

How much do you suggest I feed him? 1/4 or about 1/2 cup daily?

Jude is a spoiledpet - no show rabbit ;)

I would give less than 1/4 c. Don't change it too drastically, though--reduce the amount over a couple weeks.

Mercy, I just cleaned up him and his cage. What a mess!!!!!!!!!

Could it be the Timothy hay seeds too ?

Most likely it is the result of too many pellets for his small size. Hay is generally the solution for messy cecal problems, not the cause. Like Claire said, just reduce his pellets to 1/4c over the course of a few weeks and it should clear up.

I reduced the feed some and another bad episode yesterday. I consulted a vet and he said to try 1 tsp. of plain yogurt daily for 3 days. Today, no poo accident!! Vet wanted to try this first before anything else. Hopefully, this will get his GI tract back to normal.

I know the milk isn't good either - but I wanted to try something more natural first.

Thanks all! ;)

Rabbits cannot digest dairy products although the live microorganisms in the yogurt probably did help .

Benebac ( from a petstore) or Probios from a farm store are a much better option for your rabbit. These products have the live microorganisms, however do not have the dairy.

http://www.probios.com/

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?cid=0&pf_id=4157

the benebac marketed for small animals like dogs and cats is the same stuff as for really small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs.
Probios is marketed for horses and other large animals and also is great for rabbits

Latest posts

Back