Very sad first for me… how do people think this is acceptable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian Grant

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was searching for rabbit supplies when I came across this unfortunate post. The rabbit is clearly not living in great conditions and I know just reporting this won’t necessarily help the rabbit. In case this wasn’t bad enough, they’ve actually listed this as something shipping for $7.99 and not even local pickup!

Attachments

• A98E5804-9CA5-4B87-B283-1E16773E3043.png
    A98E5804-9CA5-4B87-B283-1E16773E3043.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I think that's an ad from someone without experience, and it wouldn't work out anyway.

Also, how those selling platforms work can be very confusing.

If you are interested try to establish personal contact.

If your post is just about how bad the world is, well, no comment.

EDIT: This your introduction post? Seriously? Smells off.

Last edited:
I think that's an ad from someone without experience, and it wouldn't work out anyway.

Also, how those selling platforms work can be very confusing.

If you are interested try to establish personal contact.

If your post is just about how bad the world is, well, no comment.

EDIT: This your introduction post? Seriously? Smells off.
Ignoring the hostility, I posted this as I feel this bunny needs help and just reporting things like this isn’t enough. Maybe I just care too much, but I find things like this very aggravating.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really no way to tell what kind of conditions the rabbit is living in just from that photo, even with a rusty cage. It could just be its home base, it could have a separate run attached. And just from the photo, it does appear to likely be healthy. But again, no way to tell for sure from a photo.

It's unlikely Mercari allows the sale of animals on their site. If you have concerns, I would suggest contacting Mercari to report the posting. If you don't feel it's enough, if any laws were broken, you could report it to animal control in the applicable state. Or see if a local rabbit rescue would be interested in helping the rabbit.

I doubt hostility was intended by the above RO members post, just a misunderstanding. We get a lot of spammers popping up here, and it can sometimes be difficult to tell if a first post is genuine or spam.

Ok, sorry that wasn't meant hostile. just getting a response rules out most of all spam.

I'm still not sure what exactly you try to tell us. Yes, a lot of rabbits live in squalid conditions, backyard hutch pets, some meat rabbits, rabbits that proofed to be too much for their owners...

Don't get me started about dogs...

Ok, sorry that wasn't meant hsotile. just getting a response rules out most of all spam.

I'm still not sure what exactly what you try to tell us.
No problem, I was mainly looking for opinions/advice on what to do besides reporting these types of things. I would try to adopt the rabbit myself, except they‘re not In the same state, and I‘ve got my hands full with my own rescue bunnies.

From the photo, the rabbit does look in pretty good condition.
I definitely agree with the idea of contacting Mercari, or if possible the owner of the rabbit, as it may give you peace of mind because more often than not, the first glance can't be our first and last opinion. Sometimes contacting the right people can help get the correct view on the matter

From the photo, the rabbit does look in pretty good condition.
I definitely agree with the idea of contacting Mercari, or if possible the owner of the rabbit, as it may give you peace of mind because more often than not, the first glance can't be our first and last opinion. Sometimes contacting the right people can help get the correct view on the matter
Thanks for the advice. I know that just one photo leaves a lot to speculate, albeit it's hard to imagine that someone who would consider selling a pet on a website that's basically an eBay alternative and shipping them through the slowest USPS service would be taking proper care of them.

I hope it's the cage they are selling because I do not understand the rabbit being shipped, I've never seen that being done.
My first thought was that the photo was for selling the cage. I'm sure there is someone who actually knows what is happening

Considering the path taken to find the post, it is likely the cage they are selling.
I wish that was the case, but the description as far as I remember reads; “it’s a girl rabbit, I’ve got some hay too”. There wasn’t really any mention of the enclosure or any other supplies besides the hay.

Latest posts

Back