Vegetables suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit_Angel

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Can bunnies eat Cabbage, Beets, Potatoes? My bunny eats Cilantro, Kale, Carrots and Lettuce but she's starting to get bored. Is there any other vegetables i can try feeding her? Thanks. :)

-Allison

Yes, rabbits can get gassy and that can lead them to not wanting to eat which in turn can cause major problems and quickly. Carrots should only be fed as a treat in small amounts and infrequently.

they don't deal with gas well at all (they have trouble getting rid of it), which can lead to tummy aches/digestive problems and if untreated can escalate into GI stasis.

some common signs that there could be a gas problem are lack of appetite and repeatedly lying down only to get right back up, as though they can't get comfortable.

if you suspect that a bunny might have gas, you can give them simethicone (any brand of over-the-counter baby gas drops) - it's incredibly safe for rabbits. the dosing is 1-2 cc every hour for 3h, then 1 cc every 3-8h as needed if it seems to be helping.

Yes, rabbits can get gassy and that can lead them to not wanting to eat which in turn can cause major problems and quickly. Carrots should only be fed as a treat in small amounts and infrequently.
Oh no! i have been giving my bunny long carrot sticks every other week....is that ok? Or should I be giving her carrots once a month? :thud:

She shouldn't be given a whole carrot at one time -- too much at once. Give her about an inch-long piece at most. If you do give her that piece on a given day, then that is her treat quota for the day. That means that she shouldn't get any fruit that day at all.

So if you give her one slice of apple, she wouldn't get carrots that day also. Some suggest that if you do give her a one-inch slice of carrot, it should only be fed about 2 or 3 times per week max. This also allows you to vary the treats she gets each day.

You might enjoy this video on feeding greens. It begins with typed words, but it switches to actual video and demo:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Food/Food_main.htm
Thank you! hehehe i love the video! And it had pictures of the veggies (which helps me a lot) and of course the bunnies were cute! Thanks for your help Blue eyes! You pretty much saved my bunny from a lot of things, even gas! haha :) :bunny18

Collard greens, a bit of mustard greens (they eat it but it's not their favorite), parsley, all sorts of leafy lettuces - this is what I feed along with kale and cilantro. Mine also love broccoli crowns but I know those should be limited. I also give small amount of apples daily and very rarely - bananas.
Should I mention they go crazy for raisins and dried cranberries? This is only to give a hint of how to vary their diet but these are really treats so should be fed very occasionally

Last edited:
have you tried pomegranate-infused craisins, Thumperina? if you think they go nuts over regular craisins... lol. I found the pomegranate infused kind at walmart and my bunns go INSANE when they see me reaching for that bag, their faces SHOVED up against the NIC grids if they're in the condo or dancing around my feet if they're in their run.

Collard greens, a bit of mustard greens (they eat it but it's not their favorite), parsley, all sorts of leafy lettuces - this is what I feed along with kale and cilantro. Mine also love broccoli crowns but I know those should be limited. I also give small amount of apples daily and very rarely - bananas.
Should I mention they go crazy for raisins and dried cranberries? This is only to give a hint of how to vary their diet but these are really treats so should be fed very occasionally
How many raisins do you give your bunny? That'll be cool to try!! :D

fruit is supposed to be limited to 1 tsp per 2 lbs body weight per day (carrots are 1 tbsp per 2 lbs body weight per day, shouldn't be given every day and fruit shouldn't be given on days when carrots are). keep in mind, though, that raisins/craisins are dehydrated so the sugar is more concentrated, meaning you should give them less of those treats than if you were giving fresh fruit.

How many raisins do you give your bunny? That'll be cool to try!! :D
If I tell you, people here would say I am a bad rabbit mom.
I give 4-5 raising to each of my rabbits. Really trying not to give more than that.

I have not tried pomegranate cranberries, never even seen them in stores. I will check Walmart for pomegranate stuff. To me, the less ingredients, the better. Cranberries often prepared with oils, are those OK for them?

Last edited:
We give ours Parsley, Cilantro, Italian Parsley and Romaine lettuce in the morning with a very small slice of apple. In the evening we sub Dandelion for the lettuce and they get a very thin slice of Carrot. That's the routine that works for all here.

We give ours Parsley, Cilantro, Italian Parsley and Romaine lettuce in the morning with a very small slice of apple. In the evening we sub Dandelion for the lettuce and they get a very thin slice of Carrot. That's the routine that works for all here.
whoa Italian parsley!? Where can i find that?? Since i'm half Italian i should show my bunny some Italian love :hearts

fruit is supposed to be limited to 1 tsp per 2 lbs body weight per day (carrots are 1 tbsp per 2 lbs body weight per day, shouldn't be given every day and fruit shouldn't be given on days when carrots are). keep in mind, though, that raisins/craisins are dehydrated so the sugar is more concentrated, meaning you should give them less of those treats than if you were giving fresh fruit.
What if i don't know my bunnies body weight? Should i just guess...? :upsidedown:

Raisins and craisins, etc., fall under that treat category, so about 1 tablespoons-worth per day total. So that would mean bunny gets either raisins or a piece of a carrot or a piece of fruit per day.
what happens if i give my bunny carrots and raisins...will that cause her to gain weight or something? :confused:

Latest posts

Back