Vaccination question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
Hi i'm getting my rabbits vaccinated soon, i'vebeen waiting over a year for the vaccines I ordered to be delivered tothe clinic :shock:

But the myxo ones are finally there so I just want to make sure before I make an appointment,

Do you need to get the VD and Myxo vaccines in a specific order or caneither be first as long as you wait at least 2 weeks in between?

I'm in a low risk area but I want to be safe anyways.

And what age does the rabbit need to be to safely get the vaccines if there is an age?

I have 2 over 2years and 2 over 6 months.

This link contains some information about thevaccines and the ages they should be first given at (myxi 6 weeks, VHD12-14 weeks).

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp

Also Ibelieveit doesn't matter what order they aregiven in as long as they have the two week gap in between them.

They also need to be repeated annually, although the myxi can berepeated every 6 months if you live around wild rabbits or in a highrisk area.

Oh geez... I didn't realize I had to get hervaccinated.. She is past 6 weeks old, I need to get on this ASAP! Doyou have to get it done if she is indoors and won't be around any otherbunnies?

I believe rabbits are only vaccinated in Europe.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they vaccinate here in the states.

t. and loki

From what i've read the risks are mainly in europe and not the US.

House rabbits are ok if they don't go outdoors, but I want to keep my indoor rabbits outside on nice days.

Thanks for link as well :)

Appointment is for tomorrow.. same time as with my collie's appointment(eye infection) .. should be fun juggling them all in the car!

Katie_LuLu wrote:
Do you have to get it done if she is indoors andwon't be around any other bunnies?

Yes, even if she lives inside full time there is still a chance of hercontracting both diseases so I'd definitely get her vaccinated, it'sjust not worth the risk otherwise.

Katie_LuLu wrote:
Oh geez... I didn't realize I had to get her vaccinated..She is past 6 weeks old, I need to get on this ASAP! Do you have to getit done if she is indoors and won't be around any other bunnies?

What country do you live in?
If you are in europe then get her done anyways.:)
As far as I know, whether you keep them with other rabbits is fairlyirrelevant, it is only if they are near wild rabbits who could carryit.. or if you let the other rabbits outside where they could catch itand pass it on.

VD is airborne so can be caught more easily by indoor rabbits from open windows etc.

Just another question, I remember last year my vet saying she'd rathernot do the Myxo vaccine as it is very painful and since we are in a lowrisk area where cases are very rare but defo to get the VD one but Iinsisted on ordering both ofthem just to be safe.

How painful is it? Anything I can do to calm the buns?

Echo wrote:
Just another question, I remember last year my vet saying she'd rathernot do the Myxo vaccine as it is very painful and since we are in a lowrisk area where cases are very rare but defo to get the VD one but Iinsisted on ordering both ofthem just to be safe.

How painful is it? Anything I can do to calm the buns?

Really? My girls don't mind the myxi vaccination at all and I've neverheard of it being particularly painful before.:?I woulddefinitely get the myxi vaccination done anyway, it is just to riskynot too. Myxi has really been spreading around this year.:(

Well maybe a rabbit she did before had a bad reaction or something:?
Mine will be getting both anyways, assuming the VD vaccines are delivered as well.
Getting rabbit meds is so hard here for some reason.. all the companiessay they either dont stockorjust dont have any instock.:(

Is myxomatosis very bad in UK? I havent heard of any cases around herefor ages, but maybe that is coz Ireland is on the very edge of europe.

Coming in late to this post, but Jess has answered everything really well.:goodjob.

None of my rabbits have ever minded the myxi vaccination - in fact,they don't even notice it's been done :). And yes, even house rabbitsshould be vaccinated - you never know what you can carry inon shoes, clothing etc. Better safe than sorry :)

Jan

All rabbits done and went well :)

She has 2 VD vaccines in stock and is waiting a few weeks for more.

Glad this went well. I hate shots. I just took my dog in yesterday.

Echo wrote:
All rabbits done and went well :)

She has 2 VD vaccines in stock and is waiting a few weeks for more.

Oh I'm just seeing this now, glad the vaccinations went well.:thumbup

Myxi vaccines painful? :?I don't think so, none of mine have ever reacted to any injection:)

Latest posts

Back