Urine Guards

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering what can I use to stop Wrigley from peeing outside of his cage. It gets on the side of the pan and then runs down the leg of the stand and onto the floor. I have a tarp under his cage so it doesn't stain the carpet, but it's getting to be a pain lol

Here are some pictures of his cage...any idea what might work?

wrigley12.jpg

wrigley13.jpg

wrigley14.jpg

If you are wondering, there is nothing in his litterbox because Wrigley kept eating it and I didn't want him to get sick. ;)

Thanks!

Jenn

You can use litter and they can eat it and they'll be ok. There's stuff like Carefresh, and woodypet...

Urine guards work Sort of. I use them for keeping hay in and down to the droppings pan instead of on my floor. Bo also used to kick his poos out onto the floor when he was a baby.... now he uses his litterbox.

You might consider a larger litterpan. Those small ones are ok for the first couple of months, but after that they just aren't large enough. Bo has a larger corner one for the livingroom and a larger square highbacked for his cage. It stopped his"over the edge" messes.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
You can use litter and they can eat it and they'll beok. There's stuff like Carefresh, and woodypet...

Urine guards work Sort of. I use them for keeping hay in anddown to the droppings pan instead of on my floor. Bo alsoused to kick his poos out onto the floor when he was a baby.... now heuses his litterbox.

You might consider a larger litterpan. Those small ones areok for the first couple of months, but after that they just aren'tlarge enough. Bo has a larger corner one for the livingroomand a larger square highbacked for his cage. It stopped his"over the edge" messes.

Thanks! He has a big litterbox outside of his cage.I do plan to get him a bigger one for his cage though:) I use Carefresh for his litterbox and he would only nibble on it at first, but then he started chowing down on it even though he had plenty of other food :?

If I could get him litter trained then that would solve my problem, but that seems to be the hard part lol

Any suggestions on how to litter train him?

Jenn

Did you let him pick the corner of his cage to pee in? That's what I did and Bo really never peed outside his pan afterwards.

Now, he has peed to mark or whatever..... and I just grab him and place him in the pan when he pees outside of it (he has a thing for my carpet:X )

He's gotten better about that with age. I think that's a major factor in training.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Did you let him pick the corner of his cage to peein? That's what I did and Bo really never peed outside hispan afterwards.

Now, he has peed to mark or whatever..... and I just grab him and placehim in the pan when he pees outside of it (he has a thing for my carpet:X )

He's gotten better about that with age. I think that's a major factor in training.

Yup, I let him pick :D I moved the litterbox towere he was peeing and then he started peeing on the opposite side LOL

I think he is trying to make things difficult! ;)

Hi Jenn, that is the exact kind of cage we havefor blossom too! Do you find it to be a VERY loudcage???? Sometimes at night blossom gets to jumping andplaying in there and it gets so loud that our alarm system goesoff:? Ok about the peeing problem...my friend also has thatsame cage and the same litterpan you are using, and was having theexactl same problem you are having so she switched to a differentlitterpan, and problem solved, She found out the back andsides of the litter pan she had (the one you are currently using) werenot high enough and pee was running out the sides. So shepurchased a litterpan that looks similiar but has a higher back andMUCH higer sides, and the problem has been solved, the pee now allstays in the box! Hope this helps! Tracy

blossombunny wrote:
Hi Jenn, that is the exact kind of cage we have for blossomtoo! Do you find it to be a VERY loud cage????Sometimes at night blossom gets to jumping and playing in there and itgets so loud that our alarm system goes off:? Ok about thepeeing problem...my friend also has that same cage and the samelitterpan you are using, and was having the exactl same problem you arehaving so she switched to a different litterpan, and problemsolved, She found out the back and sides of the litter panshe had (the one you are currently using) were not high enough and peewas running out the sides. So she purchased a litterpan thatlooks similiar but has a higher back and MUCH higer sides, and theproblem has been solved, the pee now all stays in the box!Hope this helps! Tracy

It is pretty loud lol!! Wrigley bounces all aroundit. His favorite thing to do is try to open the front doorwhen I'm trying to sleep. I've actually had to go sleep in adifferent room when he starts getting really loud. That seemsto be the only thing that will get him to stop. He thinksit's always play time :D

Thanks for the advice on the litterbox! I definitely want toget a bigger high back one. I just wish that I could get himto use his litterbox at all :? lol

Jenn

Bo B Bunny wrote:
This is the one I have..... it's about 12 inches by 12inches and it's always "done the job"

:)
sp_hi_back_rectang.jpg
That's exactly what I need to get! I'm pretty sure they havethat same one at places like Petsmart :D Thanks forposting!

Jenn

babybunnywrigley wrote:
Yup, I let him pick :D I moved thelitterbox to were he was peeing and then he started peeing on theopposite side LOL

LOL Reminds me of Elf. When I put the covered litterbox in, sheswitched corners on me, the lil brat :pNow she haslitterboxes in both corners. My hubby says "We built that huge cage forher so she would have room to bounce around, and we're having to fillit up with litter boxes!

Elf Mommy wrote:
babybunnywrigley wrote:
Yup,I let him pick :D I moved the litterbox to were hewas peeing and then he started peeing on the opposite side LOL

LOL Reminds me of Elf. When I put the covered litterbox in, sheswitched corners on me, the lil brat :pNow she haslitterboxes in both corners. My hubby says "We built that huge cage forher so she would have room to bounce around, and we're having to fillit up with litter boxes!

I might have to get two :) I wish he would stop eating the litter though lol

When Emmy goes and uses the"loon" haha. All her collectings are on the top right side of the cagefor some reason. Although...she's CAGED trained. NOT litter trained. Imean..when we take her out of her cage to let her roam about in thehouse she always goes in her cage when she needs to use the bathroom.But..the other day I discovered that everytime she REALLY needs to usethe bathroom and can't make it back to her cage..she tends to only"poop" on the corner of our dinning room! Thank god it isn'tcarpet!:p

Trina and I ought to get her littertrained also..and maybe a bigger cage! I really adore your cage you gotthere! Nice, plenty of room for your rabbit, and very wellcleaned!

After a couple of days of her " doingher buisness" we have to clean the WHOLE entire cage of hers. Shedoesn't have that tray where you can just slide it out and clean itthen put it back..it's just one whole entire floor cage. On yourcage..does it have a tray on yours?

I don't know how to describe it but mydad built this little floor plan thing..where you just put it in hercage so that it seperates HER and her poop and urine so that shedoesn't have to lie or step in it!

In the first picture. I see you have a hay ballrack like i got for Roger. Do you get alot of hay that fallsout and gets wasted? Luv has another kind and both just seemto have so much waste. anyone have any idea's on abetter hay rack?

Cristy

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Inthe first picture. I see you have a hay ball rack like i got forRoger. Do you get alot of hay that falls out and getswasted? Luv has another kind and both just seem to have somuch waste. anyone have any idea's on a better hayrack?

Cristy
Hi Cristy!

I've got a wire rack for hay, but have the same problem. I'm thinkingof attaching a piece of a urine guard behind the rack. I know I readthis in a post somewhere, but can't remember where. Sounds like a "Buckidea"

Jim

Cristy,

It's a bit hard to see, but if you look at the two following pictures,Buck makes his own hay racks and they work beautifully. Hewas kind enough tomake two for my little ones. He'syour man to ask, as JimD had pointed. out.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Cristy,

It's a bit hard to see, but if you look at the two following pictures,Buck makes his own hay racks and they work beautifully. Hewas kind enough tomake two for my little ones. He'syour man to ask, as JimD had pointed. out.

-Carolyn
Look at that precious girl, Cali..... I just want to smooch her on her big cheeks! ..... hay racks? what hay racks??? ;)

Buck is very crafty! I've seen similar racks at the feed store, but his are much better looking!

YES, the litterpan was in Petsmart when I got it. Bo has done so well since I Got that bigger, square one.

babybunnywrigley wrote:

I might have to get two :) I wish he would stop eating the litter though lol
Get some cheap pellets and use those. Lots of people do that. Then, it's not too bad if he eats the pellets.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Carolyn wrote:
Cristy,

-Carolyn
Look at that precious girl, Cali..... I just want to smooch her on her big cheeks! ..... hay racks? what hay racks??? ;)

She'll useany excuse to post a pic of my bunnie :p

Latest posts

Back