URGENT (resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha10ly88

Reaction score
Earlier at 2pm, a baby died. She just died and I dont know whats the reason. Later at 3am, I just checked on the babies again and I saw another baby dying. I called the vet immediately, but theres none available till tomorrow morning. What could possibly be the reason for them dying???

Are they suppose to be eating hays at this age? I gave them the same hay as I gave Mommy. Its timothy hay.

I'm left with 4 babies.... :( :cry2

At four weeks old they will be beginning to eat solids in addition to mom's milk...so you did nothing wrong there. In fact, timothy hay is fine. If you want to keep them away from solids, it's pellets that can cause problems if they switch from mom's milk to them too quickly.

How do the baby's poops look? Anything mushy or looking like it's got mucus on it? A picture of the droppings would be great if possible. In babies this young it may be a GI issue, which is why I'm asking about their droppings. Were the undersides of the babies clean?

Does that suppose to make me feel better.... :( Oh no...

Theres no signs of blood anywhere near the babies or at any of the babies. Their undersides are dry. Their private parts too. As for the poop ... its dry and normal. I'll get a photo of it. ... Be right back...

It's not necessarily to "make you feel better" but to tell you that its normal to feed babies timothy hay...and, even good as a first solid food for them...so I wanted you to know that's not likely what is causing the sudden death you're experiencing.

I wouldn't think you'd find blood, but some baby bunnies will suffer from mushy poo or poo with mucus. These are two symptoms of GI problems that can occur in babies this young. Make sure to look at their little poos and not that of their mom.

I understand ... :(

18082009.jpg

I have not been giving the babies pellets or fresh veggies. Mom will go into their box and nurse them once a day every afternoon.

Check the doe for mastitis (mammary gland infection).

Viral/bacterial infections (such as those that cause mucoid enteropathy)are also a cause of sudden death in young kits. In some cases, broad spectrum antibiotics such as tetracycline can keep outbreaks under control.

Congenital health conditions can also causepremature death.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Check the doe for mastitis (mammary gland infection).

Viral/bacterial infections (such as those that cause mucoid enteropathy)are also a cause of sudden death in young kits. In some cases, broad spectrum antibiotics such as tetracycline can keep outbreaks under control.

Congenital health conditions can also causepremature death.

Pam
How can I checkmommy myself? Is it possible?

I looked at your blog and your baby pictures. None of them look like peanuts to me, so that wouldn't be a reason for their demise.

The mucoid enteritis that Pam suggested is what I was thinking of...which would show up in their stool. It's hard to tellin that photo if the stool has any mucus on it.

From what I've read about mastitis, you may be able to see it in the mom's breasts. I found this on a website: Mastitis (Blue Breast)
Mastitis, a bacterial disease, is not common but is occasionally seen in rabbitries. The condition usually follows injuries of the mammary glands or caked breasts and can spread through the rabbitry very quickly. The mammary glands become inflamed, feverish, and swollen. The glands may turn bluish in color as the disease worsens. The doe will not eat but may drink plenty of water. She may have a fever as high as 105oF. or higher.

Oh no. This sounds even more serious. Now I'm wondering, is it ok that Mommy lays in her cage on hays and her dry poops? Her place has always been kept dry. I'm going to check on her while I wait for replys.

sha10ly88 wrote:

In early stages, the mammary glands will be very swollen, hard and filled with a cottage cheese consistency infection. In later stages, the glands will turn blue.

A friend of mine had this situation recently with one of her does. The first sign was kits dying ata few weeks of age. They ended up loosing the entire litter except for "Hope", a little doe continuing to suffer health issues including joint infection.

Below is a photo of my son syringe feeding little Hope.

Pam

I have checked mom. Her nipples look normal. Its pink and I dont see anything around it. I wanted to take pictures but couldnt get it clear. She also finished her food that I gave this evening. Shes eating hays and drinking. Her pee and poo looks fine and normal like always.
I guess ... i will just get some rest for tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can get them all to the vet as fast as possible. :( Do I have to bring the babies as well as mom to the vet?

pamnock wrote:
sha10ly88 wrote:

In early stages, the mammary glands will be very swollen, hard and filled with a cottage cheese consistency infection. In later stages, the glands will turn blue.

A friend of mine had this situation recently with one of her does. The first sign was kits dying ata few weeks of age. They ended up loosing the entire litter except for "Hope", a little doe continuing to suffer health issues including joint infection.

Below is a photo of my son syringe feeding little Hope.

Pam
Oh .. poor Hope. :(

I'd say at this point that rest would be the way to go. You can't really do anything until you can get them looked at by a vet. I'd take all of them with you so that they can assess both the mom and the babies. A sample of feces from them (both the babies and mom) might also be helpful.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back