URGENT rehome: 25 bunnies in AZ

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this posting on Craigslist, and thought I would post it here:

If there is anyone out here who wants to devote time and love to saving bunnies who truly deserve our love and support, PLEASE contact me. My health is making the care of these precious animals very difficult.

The Humane Society cannot secure them a forever home for more than 30 days at most. Then these beloved pets like so many other unwanted animals, will be euthanized. I want my animals to have what I can no longer give to them. They are my babies and I am in desperate need of someone willing to take them, LOVE them, and give them the forever home I can't now.

It is NOT truly about the money. This is a lifestyle change with a small price in the hopes that the dreams of these beautiful creatures will live on with the dignity they deserve or with someone giving them the chance by adoption, that I can't do because of my health.

There are currently 25 bunnies who NEED someone to adopt them and give them a forever home, or find someone RESPONSIBLE who can by adopting them and loving them as much as I have. I have the huge cages and condo's that will go with them. I am currently taking offers in the hopes that someone will Please find it in their hearts to help them. Individual adoption fees for bunnies that are through a rescue is now $75 each.

The home where they also currently reside is being lost by the landlord so there will be no chance for them several months down the road if the current situation does not change. I am trying to help them before there are no other alternatives. This is a venture that will cost about $300 per month if any become sick and medications are needed to make them well. Any of them may need medical attention as the weather changes. This is NOT always the case, but the possibility does exist as they are not well adapted to changes involving HEAT of Arizona or any state. They MUST MUST MUST be in evaporative coolers or air-conditioning.

This is not optional for them to live outside without either of these no matter what you may have read. Without medical issues, this many bunnies will thrive on about $150.00 per month for the cost of Timothy Hay. Any exotic vet can verify this for them to have optimal health.

If you have any interest in saving these beauties and having your love returned 200%, Please contact me at [email protected]. Time may be running out for them without someone helping for a great cause.

I am about to email the person and find out more information....including pictures and more information on the types of bunnies. I will keep you all posted.

EDIT TO ADD:
I am posting this on the forum in hopes that some can help. I know it is a long shot, as we have barely any active AZ memebers on this forum (I am the only one that I know of). These are times where I REALLY wish we had AZ members on here.

I emailed the person to find out more information. Hopefully I will get a reply back tomorrow, and be able to update everyone when I get home from the airport.

I'll add that I 'know' this person from a rescue list, and she's legit. She's saved a lot of rabbits, I hope she can get the help she needs.

sas

I really wish I could help :?. I have already been "told" that I can't foster a rabbit. Ryan's mom SUCKS like you would not believe :X.

Hopefully I can help with a bunny train or something.

"Hello, I used to work with East Valley Bunny Rescue. I adopted about 20 bunnieis from Angel over time. Then I took injured or sick bunnies in. It was so hard to adopt, so I decided to keep them and give them the best that I could. Constant food, shelter where they could run around not in wire cages, and then love them. I also took bunnies from Angel to rehibilitate them from the abuse suffered. Then I would return them for adotption to Angel. I have some bunnies that are paired and bonded and not to be separated. I also have many that have been dumped here because they knew I had bunnies here. I can let someone foster, but I will not be able to take them back if this home is lost. I am not able to join anything right now. My health is not the best and this stress is making things harder. I have 37 years of stuff to get rid of, I have custody of my granddaughter who is only 3, and I have all the care of the bunnies, dogs, cats, and birds. Plus I do not have finance to ship bunnies out of state at this time. I can provide a cage for any bunny you might want to foster providing the bunny would NOT be in the cage constantly. These bunnies have enough space to always run around. I wish I could do more, but with not being able to walk or stand for extended periods of time, I just can't take on anymore right now. I am on overload with this tragic situation. These guys are my life along with my granddaughter. It is like having to loose my children that I made a promise of forever home too. They have had the best I could provide with love and care, but it was suppose to be forever. Now my ex is loosing this home and none of us have anywhere to call home. Sorry about the confusion in the ad. If you can tell me what I should take out, I will change it to make it clearer. Thanks so much for your care and concern. I appreciate all your help. Grandma Judy"

I feel awful for this lady. I wish I could help, but I can't take in any bunnies....not even one :(.

What about a money donation, iluvmybuns?

If you are intersted in adopting a bun and can afford to fly one ($85 plus tax with Frontier Airlines), and the lady is willing to fly one....then I would be willing to go to the Phoenix area (where the bunnies are) and bring it to the airport to fly to you.

No one has helped, as far as I know.

I need to email the lady again and find out how many bunnies are left at this point :?.

I wish I knew how to get more AZ members. It would be nice to have some people near-by that could help with things like this.

I wish I lived down in Phoenix so I could volunteer at the two bunny rescues there.

This is truely heart breaking for me :cry2. I wish I knew how to help this woman. She obviously cares so deeply and is having a VERY hard time.

I am going to try to talk Ryan into letting me foster ONE bunny in 1 1/2 months, when I pay his mom off from my cell phone bills. I know it is not a huge help, but I will have helped save 1 bunnies life and given this poor lady a peice of mind over one of the rabbits.

The woman, Judy, emailed me back again:

Hi Amy, No to the home situation. Only one person wanted 1-3. Then she wanted cages, food, everything. Then she told me this would be a trial and error thing. Was not sure if they would want to keep them and her husband wanted them outside. That was not going to work for me. I did not allow her to adopt any. Being put out in the heat without coolers would mean a death sentence with suffering. I need to place them by the end of the year. There is another part of this problem as well. The current landlord is in jeopardy of loosing this property so if that happens they will have no where to go but the Humane Society and that will also be a death sentence. They do not have room for this many bunnies at one time. I truly appreciate your willingness to help. I feel so badly that I am not able to continue this struggle for them. They are so gentle and quiet. I am in Phoenix about 40th street and Camelback. The main rescue is still full and getting fuller with the bunnies who were pregnant and now giving birth. I am still struggling to maintain them and will until I have no other options. They are better off here with what I can do rather than going into a situation where they would suffer without cooling no matter what happens. I did have one lady send me $15 which helped to buy them a bale of hay. I have to try to purchase several more tomorrow as they are out of food now. I will be getting a couple bags of pellets to tied them over as well. They don't last too long with 50 buns, but they are all good. I lost one the other nite. I think she must have had cancer as she was not spayed and was bleeding and having seizures. They are creatures that suffer in silence until it is too late. No signs hardly at all and then it is too late to even try to save them. The vet agreed that it was probably cancer. She was a very sweet girl who gave birth here shortly after she was dumped here without even a word. She has 3 grown babies here now. They are doing well but are a little skittish as they are not handled as my others were due to my health now. Thanks again for your kindness and help. Have a nice weekend. Grandma Judy

If ANYONE :)pleaseplease:) can donate money to this lady, then please don't hesitate to email her, she obviously really needs money as well to care for the buns.

If ANYONE:)pleaseplease:) is interested in adopting, then I will donate my time and money to go down to Pheonix for a day and take pictures and meet some of the buns to share with you.

I got another email from Judy....

They do euthanize due to capacity. Easter was just in April and then after the newness wears off, no one wants them. They grow up! I guess they think bunnies stay little. Duh! Anyway. I truly appreciate your help. I am not going to euthanize unless it is absolutely the last option for me. The main rescue will probably take some if it comes down to that. Any way, I appreciate your care and concern and I hope someone can open their hearts to these precious guys. They truly are lovers and want the attention. Most of them anyway. Any donation of hay, pellets, or money would truly help now. They lowered my disability income to pay my Medicare by almost $200 per month. Then the daycare I have for my granddaughter raised her daycare from the $40 per month I pay to $125.00. Everything happened in one month to make things more difficult. But, I am doing the best I can under the circumstances. I could fostser kitties much easier than bunnies. They are tons of work and in the summer it is more critical due to bacteria and viruses that they cannot fight off easiely. Kitties can get a shot for them, bunnies cannot. Thanks again. I will try to get some pics and post them on Craigslist and see if that helps set a spark for adoptions. I will have to do it when Ann Marie is in daycare as it is too hard to keep track of her outside since I can't run or walk very well. Take care. Have a nice weekend. Grandma Judy

The poor lady really needs help with the buns :(. I don't want any to end up being euthanized.

Okay I emailed her. I don't really know what I can do though besides send her money. AZ is so super far from here. I feel like if people could pay to have them flown to where they are,if they couldjust foster them it would help. I might consider that if she says it's an option. :(This kills me.

iluvmybuns.....That would be absolutely FANTASTIC if you could have a bun or two flown to you to foster. It is $85 plus tax through Frontier Airlines, the only issue is....the weather in Arizona right now. It is much too hot outside and airlines will not ship out buns right now, in a few months, yes...they can be flown.

I have a little plan....IF you are wanting to take in a bun from Judy....I can arrange to go to her house and take pictures of the buns and write down little stories about each one and get a feel for their personality a little. I would just like you to let me know what type of bun you are looking for.

Oh, and none of the buns are spayed or neutered. Honestly....I will help out money-wise if anyone choses to take/foster a bun from Judy.

I will then talk my fiance into letting me foster a bun that you chose until it can be flown on a plane to you, which would have to be in a few months...October, most likely.

Even if we can manage to save a total of 5 buns out of 25 buns...that is still 5 bunnies that finally have a chance at a happy life.

I just can't sit back, not do anything, and let all 25 bunnies be euthanized at a shelter.

Just to let you know - Frontier has changed their policies so that they are requiring vet checks again on the rabbits that fly. So you will have the cost of the health certificate - and it has to be done within x days of the flight (10 I think??).

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Just to let you know - Frontier has changed their policies so that they are requiring vet checks again on the rabbits that fly. So you will have the cost of the health certificate - and it has to be done within x days of the flight (10 I think??).

Peg

Really? Shoot....that will be another $30 added if I use my vet for a health certificate.

Sorry - if you take several rabbits at once (like if you have more than one flying out) - maybe you can get a discount or something....

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do w/ the ones flying out from here in September or so - if I can get them seen locally or if I'll have to go 70 miles to get a vet to see them for this...

Also - you will need special carriers or special things done to pet carriers (Rosie can tell you more about that).

Page 10 of this catalog http://clover.forest.net/kwcages/RABBITCATALOGWEB.pdf shows airline approved cages. The airlines are pretty specific about what they want in these cages - solid tops and bottoms, etc.

I have some that can be used once I'm done using them to ship in September...but they're probably going to run about $12 or so to ship to whoever via. UPS...and I'd like them back since they've already cost me money.

What I'm going to have to do now when I ship in September is try to find a way to get two of them together (bungee cord type thing holding them together I think..I forget what the cords are called). Originally it was going to be 3 rabbits which would fit in one carrier - now its 5 rabbits- will take 2 carriers....

My point? If you could find an organization that would take the rabbits - you could ship up to 100 pounds of rabbits for $85 plus the vet certificate....that might be 15 or so rabbits...

Peg

I believe it's Continental... they will ship animals at night here. I just had 2 baby goats flown in, and that's how we had to do it. They landed here at 9:30, and last year my best friend's puppy landed here in teh summer at 8:30.

Not sure about price though, my goats were in a HUGE crate and it was a little over $200 to here from SC.

Jessi

Latest posts

Back