Urgent help please Red Pee!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
Hey I just woke up this morning to my rabbit pee this colour - his diet pellets- cucumber, carrot and spinach at night before I go to bed and hay and water every day- it's this blood???? Sorry I was late for work when I saw.

Attachments

• 20230714_055139.jpg
    20230714_055139.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The orange puddle looks normal. The red I can't say for sure. It looks like it may just be pigmented urine that has gotten darker as it oxidizes and dries, but it is very red. Usually when it's blood, the urine will be a normal color and there will be drops or streaks of blood in it. But this can vary depending on the cause and severity of the bleeding.

Is your rabbit dribbling drops of urine around (different than hormonal spraying), have a urine soaked bum, straining to pee, lack of appetite, or showing any signs of pain or discomfort? Have you recently introduced any new foods or made any diet changes?

The orange puddle looks normal. The red I can't say for sure. It looks like it may just be pigmented urine that has gotten darker as it oxidizes and dries, but it is very red. Usually when it's blood, the urine will be a normal color and there will be drops or streaks of blood in it. But this can vary depending on the cause and severity of the bleeding.

Is your rabbit dribbling drops of urine around (different than hormonal spraying), have a urine soaked bum, straining to pee, lack of appetite, or showing any signs of pain or discomfort? Have you recently introduced any new foods or made any diet changes?
He has been hormonal spraying , it coated the wall last week, he hasn't had any soaking or straining as I've seen him pee regularly and has peed on his bed 1 to many times - he did go with out spinach for 3 weeks and I recently bought/ gave him some this week and has been eating grass on the lawn in a play pen. He has a brother from the same litter and pees normal yellow colour. Both are in there 4 to 6 months of age and are getting desexed soon.

I would try not giving spinach for a day, and see how his urine is the next 24 hrs.

Though if you think it really could be blood, and especially if he starts exhibiting any worrying behaviors, I would recommend consulting with a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Back