Upset

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUKEZRA

Reaction score
I need to vent a little bit. I have a co-worker who lives in a country setting with a lot of dogs and cats that live outside. Well about a month ago she told me that her sister (who doesn't live with her) got 3 rabbits - 1 to keep and 2 for my co-workers kids. My co-worker didn't want them and told her sister she would have to keep them but she thought she would end up taking them anyway and would set up a hutch outside (it's very hot in Gainesville).She asked me if I wanted them but I already have 6 and my husband would kill me. I told her that I would help her get whatever she needs for them.

She also told me that the sister was keeping all 3 in a pen together and didn't know the sexes. I told her they had to be separated immediately or she was going to have a huge problem on her hands.

Anyway, something happened at work and my co-worker ended up quitting abruptly so I was left wondering and worrying about these bunnies that I knew in my gut were not in a good situation. Today my co-worker came to visit and I got an update. Only 1 bunny is left alive. One was killed by the sister's dog and the other STARVED to death. My co-worker took the last one from the sister and brought her home and is living outside.

She also plans on taking her neighbor's unwanted bunny and said that if they produce bunnies then she'll just give them away on the side of the road. I felt sick to my stomach. My hands were shaking and I was so saddened and angry. I offered to take the remaining bunny. I'm determined to save the last one's life. She said that her kids are attached now so I'm not sure I'll ever see that bunny. If I had taken them to begin with then they would still be alive. How could I know that something this horrible would happen? How can anyone let an animal starve to death?

My other co-worker talks to her frequently so I told her to tell her that I was very serious about taking the bunny off her hands. He/she is at least being fed so I guess the poor baby still has a chance.

I just can't get this out of my head. Sorry this post is so long.

Heather

What a hard situation. First of all, you can't blame yourself because you didn't take them in the beginning. Your coworkers sister is the one responsible for them. When you take an animal you are their sole provider, you are the one responsible for them. So please don't let yourself feel guilty because you didn't take them in the beginning.

I would give it a day to let it sink into your old coworker what you said. I would get her email address or phone number from the coworker that still talks to her, I would call her and ask her if she has had a chance to think about it and that you would love to take the bunny.

If she doesn't give you the bunny and you feel the bunny is in danger living with her, I would contact animal rescues in your area. If the animal rescue got the bunny, you could adopt from them.

I don't know how anyone can let an animal starve to death. That is so sad. I hope you get the one bunny left. I wish you the best of luck, and hugs because I know this is hard. Keep us updated.

:bigtears:

You couldn't know. If you took in all the bunnies you THOUGHT possibly might be in trouble, you'd have a hundred. And the odds are the other 98 would have been fine where they were.

sas :hug2:

Thats soooo terrible! Don't blame yourself though it wasn't your responsibility and you did what you had to at the time. I agree with amy and if she doesn't give you the bun then try and call animal services. Fingers crossed for you that you get the last bun

Oh my gosh. :( That's just so awful for those two rabbits that didn't make it :(
I can't believe your friends' views on getting rid of the babies if they were to produce. That's just awful. If you can't get the remaining bunny from her, at least tell her to buy another hutch for the other one so that they won't breed.

Such an awful situation. :( Maybe you could report her sister to the SPCA?

Emily

Thank you for the kind words. My co-worker seemed mad that the others died but since she referred to them as "those stupid rabbits" causing her so much grief I worry about the last one. I know he's being fed but I think that's going to be the extent of the care for him. She said they gave him a bath bacause he had poop allover him which tells me he's probably sick. She doesn't care at all what sex he/she is and definitely plans on putting the neighbor's bunny in the same cage and from what she said I believe it's an unsecure cage outside. I don't understand people. She has multiple cats and dogs that all live outside and claims to be someone who really loves and cares about animals but I guess we differ in our definitions of care.

I did tell her that bunnies need hay as well as pellets and she said she would get some so maybe if I can't physically get the bunny I can help her get what he needs. I hope she gives him/her to me and hopefully before it possibly gets pregnant. I'll keep you updated and pleasewish the little guy luck.

RIP to the other 2 that didn't make it :bigtears:

I got the call! I'm picking the bunny up tomorrow! I'll post pictures after he gets here. I'm so relieved.

:yes: That's wonderful news!

Sadly, rabbit's being left to rot in cages outside is quite common. I can relate to your situation, I've encountered it two times in my life. The first time one of my best friends had a rabbit that she lost interest in so they ultimately forgot about him on their back porch. What's even worse is the parents let it happen. He was such a sweet and adorable bunny too. I was so young at the time I had no idea what to do other than when I went over I would try to make him more comfortable. I remember trimming his nails because they were curling.

I encountered the same situation a few years back when I was in High School. Yet again, a friend bought a rabbit at a pet store on a whim and lost interest. This rabbit was put on the back porch, cage covered with cardboard and a tarp. I would always find him with barely any water and no food, forget him ever getting hay. Feces was piled high in the one corner of the cage. He was emaciated. I convinced this friend to let me have him. Sadly, the neglect was too much. Due to the lack of fiber in his diet, he developed a serious blockage and passed. I know she can be a good animal caregiver, she has a dog that is spoiled rotten. Rabbit's just don't seem to get the same respect, even at animal shelters.

Being humanely euthanized is better than rotting to death from neglect. Which is why animal shelters and rescues exist... They try to find the animals a better home. If they don't then at least the animals wont be suffering until they cannot hold on anymore. I wish more people would use the services they offer and think of what's best for the animal.

:grumpy:

Sorry about the vent. Old memories getting stirred up and all.
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! What a lucky bun.

Unfortunately my husband insists we find him a new home eventually but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I just want him safe.

Even if you can't keep him, you are doing a great thing by getting him out of that bad situation and finding him a good home.

Can't wait to hear about him once you get him home!

He's here! I didn't realize it was a baby. I thought it was an older rabbit. I think it's a boy and I guess around 4 months old. His feet are horribly stained and he has some yellow pee stains on his rear. I rinsed his feet off and dry bathed him in corn starch but the stains are still bad. He smelled so bad. I've never smelled anything like that on a bunny before. Who knows how long he's been sitting in his own urine. Anyway I have pictures. He looks bigger in the pictures than he actually is. I've been calling him Charlie.

100_0590.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0592.jpg

He is so cute. His fur does look pretty stained. Both of my rabbits have white feet and to me that looks pretty bad. Does he have any sore areas on his feet or bottoms? I just wonder if sitting in that would cause some sores. Poor little guy. I am happy you finally got him home. From the pictures it looks like he has made himself at home. He doesn't look scared or nervous.

WOW! I am so thankful Charlie is with you now... Poor baby boy bun has certainly been through enough!
What a wonderful twist of fate... the universe certainly straightens itself out in short order...:D

Back