Update on Sherry's abscess treatment...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
I took Sherry in this morning and asked the vet to call me when she had done the x-rays to determine the next steps.

Her 3rd, 4th, and 5th molars are abscessed with the 4th molar penetrating the cortical bone. Poor thing, that sounds AWFUL. Do these build up quickly or has this been festering for a long time?

Anyway...she suggested I go to the vetrinary dentist who comes to my city every Thursday because he would be able to do it faster and she would not have to be under anathesia any longer than absolutely necessary. Also, I didn't really understand this, but she said the teeth could not be removed from the outside as you normally would pull a tooth. It had to be removed from inside (?). I could be describing this part wrong because I was half listening and half worrying because whatever she was describing sounded quite dangerous. Does anyone understand what that means? So, she's going to the dentist on Thursday.

In the meantime I am to continue .5 Baytril orally twice a day, .075 Metacam once a day, and sub-q Penicillin G-Procaine every other day. I learned to do the injection and it's very easy, not at all as bad as I thought. I practiced on her once with saline and she didn't even jump or flinch.

I asked 3 times (via a phone message and vet tech) if she could have a stronger pain medication, but she wants her to stay on Metacam for now. She hasn't had any procedures yet, but I feel like that's got to be painful as it is. After the surgery I'm sure she will need something stronger.

Since waking up after the x-rays she's been eating well and pooping a lot. They were all joking about how that's the most poop they ever saw a rabbit make. There is something on her bill called a Rabbit GI Cocktail which must encourage pooping?

She's back at home and her partner Button is grooming her eyes where they must put some sort of gel during anethesia. What a nice boyfriend!

Cara

Oh, poor little girl! I really don't know much about dental surgery. Maureen or Randy might be able to help you with that.

Hugs to Sherry, Buttons, and you!

Hi Cara :)

Im glad to hear our girl is doing ok after this weekend's events. Its good she'll be seeing a vet dentist, thats what we did for Max.

I suppose she probably said they will be taking it from the outside rather than inside. Are they the bottom molars? Sometimes the vet will make an incision under the jaw on the outside and go in that way, especially since its abscessed. It makes it easier to access the whole tooth root. This would be different from the way human teeth are removed. Sound right?

Its hard to say how long this has been going on. These things can develop so quickly that theyve spread so much before we even notice. Max's was marble sized for a long time and he still ate like a champ.

Make sure to ask the dentist what he thinks about the opposing molars. Im not so sure about molars, but removing the opposing incisors was the best thing we did for Max. When we originally left them in they were needing to be trimmed so often and even rubbing against the gums on the lower jaw making things worse.

Im glad shes on Bicillin now, that should definitely help. Good for you for learning the shots!

Oh and yup, they usually put some gel on a rabbit's eyes when they go under, something about rabbits not closing their eyes when theyre out. It helps keep them moisturized. Max looked like something out of a horror movie after his surgery.

I'll be keeping your girl in my prayers. Ive been through all this so I know how stressful it is. Sounds like you have a good vet on your side.

*hugs*

Haley

Hugs to you and Sherry

Haley is a pro when it comes to abscesses..I didn't know what it meant to go in from the inside..thought it meant through the gums.

Thanks, Cara, for adding the new photo in your avatar, and Providing the update. Sherry and Button will be cyberhugged continuously until she's all better. How lucky she is to have found you.

Bless your heart. Sherry sounds in good hands.

I guessed similar to what Haley said. Because they are abscessed (or however that is spelt) they need to make sure they remove the whole entirity of the tooth, and assumably it is not in peak health (duh, otherwise there would be no abscess) so they would have to do something more invasive to make sure it is all out.

The GI cocktail (I believe) is a gut stimulant thatis injected into the rabbit to encourage the gut to move again. Mine had it when they were anaesthetised before, and I had one have it when she was having stomach problems. Glad to hear that she is pooing and things, that's great :)

Keep us updated, and good luck with the dentist.

Biggest hugs to you.

I have dealt with an abcess and it's was the most horrible thing I had to witness. I am so happy that you have better care available for your bun. I never got to take my bun to a vet dentist :(Let us know how everything is going. I so sympathize with you and your bun. She's so lucky to have you. :)

Just getting ready for bed and wanted to tell you I'll say a prayer for you and Sherry for tomorrow.

I know how stressful this is and I hope you know we're here for you.

Let us know how it went when you get home.:pray: I'll be praying for an easy,speedy surgery and recovery.

:purplepansy:Haley

Hi Angela,

Still haven't heard anything. I dropped her off at 9am, but this dentist only comes from Oshkosh once/week so it sounds like he has a very full day whenever he's here. He told me he hada few difficult (time-consuming) cases today, including Sherry, and he probably wouldn't get to her until late afternoon.He said Iprobably wouldn't be able to pick her up until around 8pm. I hope I hear from him soon.

Cara

Oh wow, you must just be a nervous wreck having to wait so long. I hope you hear something soon. Ive been thinking of Sherry all day.

:pray:

I'm praying for Sherry so hard, :pray:I'll be checking here first thing tomorrow morning.

How are you doing? :hug1

cmh9023 wrote:
He told me he hada few difficult (time-consuming) cases today, including Sherry, and he probably wouldn't get to her until late afternoon.He said Iprobably wouldn't be able to pick her up until around 8pm. I hope I hear from him soon.

Cara

Sounds like our vet. She does the drop-offs later in the day, unless it's an emergency.

Last time Binkie was in, I picked her up at around 9:30p..... and they close at 6p.

Waiting patiently for an update.

~Jim

Back