Update on my orphanes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, poor little muffins. All scruffy and covered in milk.

I would say if they are really icky then it would be harder for them to contain their body heat.

Do you have any soap that would be safe for bunnies? Don't use anything not labelled for bunnies. But I think it may be good to get the milk off of them.

Use warm water, skin temperature. And dry them off immediatly. A hair dryer on low for a minute or two. Then put them on a heating pad set on low with a towel nest on top till they are bone dry.

I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do, but that's what I would do.

--Dawn

You are doing such a GREAT job with those babies. Pat yourself on the back (for me)....

Peg

So here we are at 4 weeks.They are all eating now andhave had water bottle lessons which they don't like but 4 are drinking from the water bottle that I have seen. I'm still feeding them formula but have cut the amount down to encourage them to eat real food. It seems to be working ok. So far (touch wood) only one has a very slight case of runny poops so he gets extra cecal water. They are all very happy and healthy but appear to be stunted growth wise. Only time will tell if they will catch up andbe large rabbits. Here are some new pics. Help me out with proper colour names please.

A silver martin boy (maybe) He was more tan around his face, ears and feet but it seems to be fading. Light gray next to skin.

med_gallery_732_157_108496.jpg

A boy for sure, looks black but almost white next to skin.

med_gallery_732_157_138373.jpg

I thought she was a broken black but she has some brown mixed in her black

med_gallery_732_157_18837.jpg

My broken tan girl (maybe)

med_gallery_732_157_4416.jpg

just a bti of colour on her nose, ears are tri coloured, a charlie?

med_gallery_732_157_130819.jpg

Again, tri colur ears and a brown spot on the right of nose, sex unknown at this point

med_gallery_732_157_4158.jpg

And again tri colour ears and eyeliner, a beautiful girl. no other markings.

med_gallery_732_157_10102.jpg

they are the most loveable bunnies I have ever seen and will be in need of very special homes when they are ready, ifI can even part with them.They all stand up when they hear me coming into the room, i wish i could get a pic but they move way to fast, my camera can't keep up with them.

Oh my goodness...I want them all.

Have you tried putting their formula in a bowl?

I forget if you have another litter or not - if so - when you wean them, I'd put the two litters together and let those who were with mama teach the others how to use the water bottle.

Peg

Blacky has a litter of 8 who are 14 days old now. I figure the 4 that are drinking from the water bottle will teach the other 3 but I will continue my lessons as well. At feeding time I hold the water bottle to their mouths and let them lick it. After they take a drink then they get their supper.

Why don't I live in Canada?!?! I want them!!! They are darling! *is distrught* I Love the broken tan the most, but since I hate to pick favorites, how about once they get older you send them ALL to me. I will be waiting.
I think I am in LOVE, RaE

I came home from work tonight and my hubby had some bad news for me. He was watching TV when he heard a strange squeak. As he was getting up to to see what it was, he heard it again. it was coming from the babies cage. He ran over to see what was wrong and the broken tan one was squealing and his body was all stiff. Hubby said his head was at a funny angle. He was on the bottom of the pile when hubby pick him up. He died in hubbys hands. hubby seems to think his neck was broken but he didn't see anything unusual happen. It really has me puzzled. Other than we still have some mild runny poops everyone else seems ok.

Oh no! I can't believe it. I am so very sorry this happened. You did the best you could, and obviously it wasn't anything preventable. So please don't feel too bad, that baby had a great life even though it was tragically short. :angel:

Hugs from us all. :group2:

Oh hon - that is so sad. That one was such a cutie too.

I've had rabbits try to jump and get hurt (not often - but it happens). I had one doe try to jump out of the rabbitry and break her neck - Art heard squeaking and came out - she died in his arms within a minute of when he picked her up - he knew I loved her and he cried with me. At least she was not alone in her last moment of life.

But things like this can happen.

Still yet - it hurts. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Be sure to love on the others for me - ok?

Peg

sorry no new pics today.I've cut the formula down and am mixing it 60% cecal water/40% kmr. They are really going to town on the pellets and hay. fat little bellys on everyone. Looks like the runny poos are clearing up so that is good.

the little broken black one does binkies all the time, he/she looks like it is racing around the cage just plowing into everyone else.It was playng with my dog through the cage. doing binkies back and forth and the dog was doing the same. The dog thinks she should be allowed to mother them, gets very concerned if the babies do something she doesn't thinkthey should be doing.and chases the cat out of the living room if the cat so much as glances at the babies. The dog crys when hubby has the babies well because they aren't his babies.It's very cute.

The black boy with the big head is the most lovable, when I scratch his head he leans into my hand and tooth purrs. They all love to tooth purr no matter what I do to them, even when they get their bottoms washed.

The smallest white one doesn't seem quite right to me, very quiet but does become very alert when I spend time with it. I'm thinking because it is the smallest maybe it is the lowest on the totem pole. I'm watching that one very close.

hubby says I can not keep them but we will see. I can make some cages and the new shed will be done maybe next week so should have room fort hem, i may have to stack some cages (unless i can hide them in house...shhhhhh)

I get my hay from a farmer just down the road,$3 a bale for 70% alfafa, 30%timothy. I have been giving the babies this hay for the last week or 2.They really like thecrumbs the best. Don't eat the stalks at all, I'm guessing to tough for them yet.They are starting to fatten up and i can see the growth difference already. I still don't know if they will be full size but we will see.

Such good news that they are fattening up! Those babies sound like such hams, I wish I could snuggle them all.

You've done such a good job with them, it's such hard work hand raising babies.

--Dawn

Well all 6 are now weaned. Other than still very minor diarrea they are really doing well. I am very pleased with my success. Now that they are eating real food are they ever getting big. All of them have new homes to go to with info sheets and there will be a signed contract that states the rabbit will come back to me if for any reason the new owner can not keep it and they are to be altered. They were hard for me to find homes for as I insisted on $30 each for them. Expensive for a large mixed breed rabbit. I wanted to make sure that they don't go into some bodys oven or pet snake's belly and I was very picky on who got one. These babies are like my own kids to me and if I could, I would keep them all.

Wo;; we get tp see any more pictures of them at all? I hope so....I didn't know if they were gone already.

Peg

they are still here :D, I think they are still too small and I want to make sure they are all healthy and stay that way.

I will take some more pics when I get my rechargeable batteries back from my son, he "borrowed" them for his mp3:?

on the down side of it, I lost another one yesterday,the smallest girl, I don't understand what happened to it. Same thing as the other poor little thing. My son came and told me outside he thought one of them was dying. I ran in the house and one was laying on it's side and when I picked it up it had broken neck just like the one the other day. She died in my hands while I was trying to sooth her, shushing her like a baby.I'm like "what the ****?" I don't get it?! there is nothing in the cage except the plastic feeder, hay, shavings and some toilet paper rolls. no one touches them except me and hubby and we were both outside at the time.The only thing I can see is happening is that the bigger ones are maybe playing to rough, jumping on the little ones or something. Maybe they are weak in the skeletal structure from not getting mom's milk? I really don't have a friggin clue. It p*sses me off and I feel helpless as I don't knowwhat is happening with them or how they are getting hurt. Now I'm watching them all the time but see nothing unusual. They all seem happy, doing binkys and playing.

Latest posts

Back