Update on my orphanes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
we're doing ok. The little ones are learning how to take the bottle and I'm learning how to get them to pee. Most of them are drinking 3 mils twice a day. It takes about an hour to feed them. It's funny to watch them, when I put them back in their box they wiggle and squirm until they are in the right spots. The same ones sleep against each other all the time and they are not happy until they get beside their friend. Here they are at 9 days. One of the black ones has 1 eye open today.

med_gallery_732_157_133502.jpg

Wow! Those are some big babies! My babies are nine days old today as well but no eyes opened yet, although it looks like they might open any time soon. We found the babies outside of their nest box today huddled in a little pile right next to it. I quickly put shavings in their nest box and put them back in; we can already tell they're going to be troublemakers!

All the babies look nice and fat to me! Great work.

I've yet to have hand raised babies survive, but all the ones I've had to hand feed have been because they where sick. But I do know of people who have hand raised successfully and have full grown buns to prove it.

Keep up the good work, and hopefully they'll get the hang of the bottle a bit better. Are you using an actual bottle or a syringe? I would love to see picuters of your feeding methods too.

--Dawn

I went and bought 2 different nursing kits, the firstkit the nipples weretoo big. They seem to have trouble drawing the milk out so this morning I put a nipple on a syryige just to see how that would work. Well it worked really well. they still suckle and get the milk out as I keep a slight pressure on the nipple with the syringe. The nipple only fell off once spraying milk everywhere lol. I wrap them in a tea towel so just their heads stick out, their little feet get in the way and they wiggle way to much so they lose their grip on the nipple. Some like to eat upside down, some sitting up and others kinda stand. I'll see if one of my boys will take pics tonight when I feed.

11 days today and still going really well. It is a little time consuming but I love it.I'm afraid I'm falling in love with them all much, to hubbys dismay. lol I'm tired tonight, long day at work but I'll take soome pics tommorow. they're eating 5 mls 2 times a day now and still looking for more. They have figured out I mean food and are starting to nibble on my palms looking for more.. little buggers lol.

Aww, that's so sweet!

I remember with Wheezy (RIP), he would get so excited when I brought him to my lap. He would start frantically looking around for the syringe, it was so cute!

Take lots and lots of pictures, they grow so fast...

--Dawn

I'm so glad that things are going so well for you. It seems like a lot of work now - and it is - but it won't be long before they're eating food and might like you - but no longer see you as "mama"...

Peg

I mean to ask - which one is your favorite?

Peg

P.S. I always used to hold my babies more from day one (I need to go back to that) and even before his eyes were open - Harriet (yeah..I thought he was a girl and he got used to the name) would snuggle into my hand and groom me and then take a 20 minute nap if I'd let him. He was so affectionate even before his eyes were open - and after they were open? Watch out world...he was a little lover.....

well here we are, 2 weeks old. 2 of the smaller ones passed away over the weekend. I woke up and they were just dead.The other 7 seem to be doing ok. They all have their eyes open and started nibbling hay a bit today in their new house.When they really start to nibble,I have some cecal pellets to make some nasty water to put in their milk. I read thats what to do to keep the little tummies happy. I hope it works. I wish I could bath them, they are all scruffy looking from milk spilling on them but i won't,they're better off dirty looking than getting sick don't you think. I have some pics to post, they're not the best. My camera sucks.

This is my feeding set up, I apply very slight pressure once they start to turbo suck.I have to hold the nipple on. theypull it off. They eat between 6ml to 14 ml twice a day depending on who it is. I let them eat until they want no more.

med_gallery_732_157_158835.jpg

this is my best feeder, he'll climb onto my lap and find the npple all by himself

med_gallery_732_157_139704.jpg

This little one has my favorite markings, it's hard to tell in the pic but he has tan around his eyes, on his feet, across his chest and in his ears. he also has tan guard hairs (longer hairs over top of his fur)

med_gallery_732_157_123397.jpg

This is my favorite, I don't know why, he's big, bossy and has really long hair compared to the rest. His head is kinda blocky and he likes to bite me the most. lol

med_gallery_732_157_123110.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_67236.jpg

A few of the others

med_gallery_732_157_23104.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_83265.jpg

see what I mean about them looking scruffy? it's from the formula spilling out of their mouths. until they get the turbo suck going they are quite messy. Any thoughts on how to clean their fur without getting them wet?

This was their old bed

med_gallery_732_157_1348.jpg

They are now in a cage in the living room. My batteries died so no pics of that.

I love the photos. I'm sorry you lost the two smallest ones but sometimes that happens.

You're really doing a great job with them.

I tend to keep a paper towel or dry towel handy to wipe off their faces when I have to give meds or stuff like that.

I love your favorite - but I really like the broken one too.

Peg

I try to feed them with a tea towel wrapped under their chins like a bib but they wiggle so much it gets ever where. I just finished feeding them for the night and there is one more that doesn't seem quite right. Can't put my finger on it, he just doesn't seem himself.I can only do my best for them. At least I've given them a chance. Hopefully it will keep going good. I'm really worried now that they are out and about. I don't want to give them hay and pellets to nibble on because I know it's hard on their little tummies but I know if they were still with the mom they would be starting to nibble now. I'll just take it slow with them and cross m yfingers.

Good job! Bottle feeding is hard, and not many babies survive. So 7 out of 9 at two weeks is a pretty good turn out.

I would start with just hay, and give them pellets once they seem to be quite interested in the hay. Do you have any alfafa hay? You could just give them the leaves and not the stalks. Easier for them to eat. But I would definitly give them some sort of hay.

--Dawn

I did put a bit of hay in the cage and they are nibbling a bit. I feed mixed alfafa/timothyI buy of a cattle farmer, beautiful hay. I've bought hay from other people but my rabbits will only eat this man's hay. A little spoiled maybe? the little ones come when I snap my fingers, i know it is only because they think food.

Question..... as they get older will they stop nipping/biting or will they grow up to be biters because they are hand fed?

I would start making little ouch noises when they nibble on you. You have to replace mom now, and she would be teaching these guys what proper behaviour is.

I don't think they will be more nippy if they are hand fed.If anything they should be friendlier from all the handling.

--Dawn

They know now when the door opens it's "Mom" and do they ever get excited!

They only nip if I'm slow getting them on the nipple lol

When they are almost done eating they all start to make a chattering sound. I know it's a happy sound but don't know what the sound is called. Is this what you would call a purr?

They all start chattering their teeth?Like a person does when they are cold, but softer? That is a very happy noise. They are fed and loved and know it.

Can we have more pictures please???

--Dawn

Today we are 19 days old! More pics as requested.

Their new home.

med_gallery_732_157_12561.jpg

This is a polar fleece bag, they seemed a little chilly so i though they would like this. they are sleeping in it.

med_gallery_732_157_162132.jpg

Is that Mom?

med_gallery_732_157_191430.jpg

YES! it is Mom

med_gallery_732_157_168413.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_84346.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_5635.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_5498.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_26849.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_37978.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_118482.jpg

med_gallery_732_157_76216.jpg

As you can see, they are still grubby looking. I ahve been wiping them with a slightly damp warm cloth but it's not working. When do you think I could give them a bath? I think I should wait until they are weaned if they still need one. They are starting to groom each other so maybe they can clean themselves.

Latest posts

Back