Underlying Problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
First off, thanks again to everyone for the help and support in regards to Wrangler's emergency! He's back to his regular happy-go-lucky self!

Although he appears to be back to normal, does it mean the gas problem that he had depicts an underlying problem? What I don't understand is that he gets the best of the best when it comes to his feed, hay, and living situation...yet he still ended up getting sick.

Yes, I'll be honest that he's never had a vet check before; I guess I never thought he needed one because he has always been super hardy and happy.

When he was having his gas issue the other night it made me raise an eyebrow when he passed three relatively large fecal balls (or clumps of fecal matter) with a clear/mucousy coating.

I still wonder if he did get poisoned from the potted plant in my kitchen (which I usually have the gate up).

Or maybe I'm giving him too many sugary treats?

Or maybe it's the heavy chlorine content in my water? (My boyfriend's assumption).

Or maybe this whole gas issue is more common in rabbits than I ever thought?

Thoughts, comments, and advice always welcome!

Are you sure what he passed weren't cecals?

Sugary treats aren't a good idea, so I'd cut down on them. Eating too fast might cause gas. Besides for the exercise, making sure eating pellets is slow for Honey is why I got her a cat's adjustable feeding ball.

Most chlorine will evaporate if you fill a jug with water just to the point where the jug starts to narrow. Then let it sit [refrigerated or not] with the lid off for at least 8 hours [the more the better, up to 3 days]. This is a trick I learned from growing house plants.

From my experience with my rabbit Nummy, gas seems to be a common thing. I can usually tell when he has gas because he will sit all hunched up in a ball or press his tummy to the floor. When I notice this behaviour I just give him some baby gas meds (ovol) simithicone for relief. It is in a liquid form and I syringe him 1 ml and watch and see if it helps. He is a 4 pound rabbit. Sugary treats are prone to give rabbits gas if fed too many. That is why if you are feeding your bun store bought rabbit treats to follow the feeding guidelines just to be on the safe side. Fruit can give a rabbit gas too if given to much too. I don't know what your rabbit had to go to the vet for, as I just read this post. But if it he stopped eating and stopped producing poops then I would say some gas was then formed which caused some upset. If your bun is eating and drinking and is starting to pass poops then he is likely starting to feel better and usually when my bun has stasis issues, the first poops he usually passes is kinda like the ones you are describing. Did your rabbits poops have hair in it? Hopefully he is feeling better, it's good to know he is back to his happy self again.

It kind of makes me wonder if he is ingesting hair because he has started the molting process. We've had quite the warm winter this year and all of my animals have already started to shed out their coats...which now makes me nervous for a cold snap.

Anyway, Wrangler has been eating and drinking, but he doesn't seem to be exactly back to normal :? I feel like he still isn't pooping as much as he should and his droppings are smaller than usual.

Right after he passed the three large stools from his previous gassy incident, his stool went back to normal quite quickly...now it seems like he is possible still having slight issues. Just because I'm talking in regards to his stool size. Maybe it's due to stress? I have moved him around a lot within the last week. I have been very busy lately and ever since the gas incident I have been taking him pretty much everywhere with me (if I should stay a night or two at my boyfriend's or grandmother's house).

Soo yeah I don't know whats up. Maybe I'm just extra paranoid now.

It could definitely be from ingesting molted fur. Loki gets that pretty frequently, or he did before I learned to feed him some canned pumpkin every time he has a molt. The fiber and fluids seem to help the GI system a lot, and he thinks it is a treat. It tended to help my two dwarf hotot girls, too, and they had chronic GI issues because of a genetic problem with their breed.

If he is still feeling a little under the weather, it could be because of his ongoing molt. Give him a little pumpkin every day if he'll take it willingly. I also usually decrease pellets and treats and increase veggies and hay during molts.

I wouldn't think too much about one episode of gas. If he starts getting gas issues more frequently, then you'd want to look into it. But it's a really, really common problem for rabbits, and one episode doesn't usually mean anything. I actually recommend that all bunny owners have baby gas meds on hand at all times because it's just that common.

Every time Gus has had a bout of stasis, the first poops he's had afterward have been oddly shapen and covered in mucus. Not so much after a gas incident, though.

Moving Wrangler around a lot could definitely be affecting his digestive system. I know whenever Gus travels he stops pooping for long periods of time. If you can, keep him at home as much as possible. Push hay, water, and maybe give him a probiotic too.

Rue

Latest posts

Back