Un-neutered male and spayed female bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaanterra

Reaction score
I have an un-neutered male rabbit who's about 4-6 months old, according to his previous owner. I am thinking about getting a friend for him, and I recently came across someone trying to find a new home for their female spayed rabbit. Apparently she was agressive to the other bunny in the house (who I assume was female). Do you think there would be any chance of my rabbit and the female rabbit bonding? And I don't mean taking months to a year to bond. I'm not that experienced with rabbits (had only one other who lived alone), so I wouldn't want to do this if it would be pretty difficult, because I'd be afraid I'd mess something up. Thanks!

ETA: I do plan on neutering my rabbit sometime soon, so that might make things even more easier. I've heard that male/female pairings are easier than same-sex pairings, but I haven't heard if they're still easy if one rabbit isn't fixed.

You could get her, but I would hold off bonding until he is neutered, healed and has has time for the hormones to calm down. It would be at least 4 weeks after he is done before I would try bonding them.
Even if you were able to bond them before he is neutered, it may not work after. Just his hormones kicking in can cause problems, and getting him neutered can change their relationship.

It could be possible to have a bunny date. The female would need to be in a place she hasn't been before (preferably in the current owners house). Having a barrier is a good idea so they can meet and not be able to hurt each other. If it goes ok through the barrier, you can see if they get along without it. If it goes well (no fighting, chasing etc) then you can decide if you want her from there. This is of course no guarantee that they will get along at your house, but it could help determine if it is possible that they could get along.
Contact the bunnies owner and ask if the other bunny is a female and if she is spayed. It can make a huge difference if she is or not. If the other one is male, you might want to reconsider.

Latest posts

Back