UK Rabbit Disease Outbreaks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this horrible? I do feel reassured though that there are so many other people out there that love their bunnies enough to get them vaccinated regularly too. The vaccines are soooo cheap and well worth it. I just wish some other rabbit owners were as discerning and caring as this.

I don't know where Glenrothes is, as I really don't know much about UK geography. I do know that Scotland has had myxi outbreaks in the recent past so it's best to keep all rabbits vaccinated. Apparently some people have been claiming that those in Scotland don't need to vaccinate, but that's false info.

ok thx.

altho ive heard vaccinated bunnies getting myxi and dying of it anyway, is this true that it is ineffective?

No vaccination is 100% effective. I think the myxi vac is supposed to be in the upper 90s for percent effectiveness. Plus rabbits who have been regularly vaccinated but who still get myxi are far more likely to survive. Myxi with no vaccinations is usually a death sentance.

And don't forget about VHD!

Don't forget that your bunny can not have both VHD and myxi vaccine at the same time they need to be administered 2weeks apart otherwise it is very bad for the bunny. Please don't let any vet tell you otherwise, as some of you know some vets are not up to date on rabbit treatment. I have experienced the very bad before I was lucky enough to find my current vet.Both my bunnies are Myxi vaccinated every 6 months and VHD12monthly. It is a little price to pay for better piece of mind.

I had a client who had a bunny that contracted myxi, it was up to date with its vaccinations, when the client took her bun to the vets they started giving it regular myxi injections (not sure how often) and her bun recovered she did say it was really gross though as all the infection had to come out through the skin. just thought that might help if anyone interested

Back